How to properly uninstall and reinstall spore?

Questions seeking answers can be found here, someone else may have had the same issue and might have a solution.
Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST...

Remember that mods you download that are created by Davo REQUIRE Spore: Galactic Adventures and REQUIRE your game to be installed & patched in this order.
  • - Install Spore Game
  • - (OPTIONAL) Install Spore C&C
  • - Install Spore Galactic Adventures
  • - Patch Spore and Spore Galactic Adventures to 1.5.1
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
pacca
Tribal
Tribal

How to properly uninstall and reinstall spore?

Unread post by pacca »

I finally decided to switch from the steam version of spore to the origin version, so I could take modding seriously. Unfortunately, I seem to know very little about how to properly do this. Uninstalling the steam version of spore destabilized the origin version, and after trying to fix it back to a working state, the game will boot, but refuses to load creepy and cute in game. All the fixes I've stumbled across for getting creepy and cute to work online have done nothing. GA and Core Spore seem to work fine though...

I've noted a bunch of other strange behaviors as well; deleting the save game data will make it attempt to generate new save data, but then it will always crash on launch, making it impossible to generate a new galaxy. It happened on the steam version before all this installation tomfoolery, and seems to be the case now as well. I also have no idea how or why the game is dependent on the windows registry (I had to do this just to get the game to boot again: https://steamcommunity.com/app/17390/di ... 18/?ctp=11).

How would I uninstall spore in a way that prevents future installations from getting messed up? And how can I, at the very least, get creepy and cute back? Fixes like copying the BP1Data folder into the Data folder and changing the launch options have failed. And although I'd love to follow the recommended install order again, there's obviously way to much "residue" left from the previous installs left for that to work properly (trying to do it now doesn't make sense anyways, as creepy and cute doesn't work even when everything is uninstalled and I start with just core spore).

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: How to properly uninstall and reinstall spore?

Unread post by rob55rod »

You'd need to get to a point where all traces of Spore are removed (other than creations and save data, if you so desire), and then reinstall only one version of the game. I'm here if you need further clarification.

As for generating new save data...if that proves necessary, you may have to temporarily uninstall Dark Injection in order to do so. I've been trying to figure out why DI does that (and fix it) for a while now...no luck so far.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
pacca
Tribal
Tribal

Unread post by pacca »

What traces does spore leave, and how would I safely remove them? I've been curious about it for ages, and obviously it'd be really helpful here. I can already backup and restore save data, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I also don't have DI installed, funnily enough. Just vanilla spore. The inability to play new galaxies was a problem on my old computer too, so I dunno...
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unread post by rob55rod »

pacca wrote:What traces does spore leave, and how would I safely remove them? I've been curious about it for ages, and obviously it'd be really helpful here. I can already backup and restore save data, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Hm...how about we meet up on Steam or Discord or something like that to get this all sorted out? I've just found that such things are MUCH faster for problems like this than communicating directly via the forum, so if you're game, either PM me your alias on your preferred communications platform, or PM and ask for my alias on your preferred communications platform.
pacca wrote:I also don't have DI installed, funnily enough. Just vanilla spore. The inability to play new galaxies was a problem on my old computer too, so I dunno...
Hm...first I thought it was modern versions of Windows, then DI...maybe both can separately cause it after all?
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”