Spore crashes when switching modes in editor

Here you can find information regarding Dark Injection, or post questions if you need further help.
queen_ashes
Hatchling
Hatchling

Spore crashes when switching modes in editor

Unread post by queen_ashes »

DI version: Public beta 2.3.2
Origin version of Spore
Installed using the Spore ModAPI installer.
I have reshade, but no other spore mods.

When I switch from build mode to paint mode in the editor, Spore crashes. Painting the creation first and then going to build mode does not cause the problem. If I add more parts to the creation and then go into paint mode, it will crash.
I noticed that this only seems to happen after a creation has been saved. It also doesn't happen to a creation with only vanilla parts.
This is definitely making it a bit difficult to work on creations haha! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've already tried reinstalling the mod.

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: Spore crashes when switching modes in editor

Unread post by rob55rod »

Well that's...odd. Hmmm...does the problem still occur if you turn off all of Dark Injection's features (but without actually uninstalling it)?
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
queen_ashes
Hatchling
Hatchling

rob55rod wrote:Well that's...odd. Hmmm...does the problem still occur if you turn off all of Dark Injection's features (but without actually uninstalling it)?
Yes, super weird. Also, I noticed that any time I save after painting the creature, there's a pretty high chance that it will crash. If I click on the check icon instead of save after adding parts, it crashes...

The problem does not occur with all the features off, so I guess we're getting somewhere haha!
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

queen_ashes wrote:Yes, super weird. Also, I noticed that any time I save after painting the creature, there's a pretty high chance that it will crash. If I click on the check icon instead of save after adding parts, it crashes...

The problem does not occur with all the features off, so I guess we're getting somewhere haha!
Yeah, that was the plan, lol

Okay...restore your previous configuration one component at a time, testing after re-enabling each. Note which component was last enabled if and/or when the problem resurfaces, and let me know which it was.

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
queen_ashes
Hatchling
Hatchling

rob55rod wrote:
queen_ashes wrote:Yes, super weird. Also, I noticed that any time I save after painting the creature, there's a pretty high chance that it will crash. If I click on the check icon instead of save after adding parts, it crashes...

Yeah, that was the plan, lol

Okay...restore your previous configuration one component at a time, testing after re-enabling each. Note which component was last enabled if and/or when the problem resurfaces, and let me know which it was.
It was infinite complexity, it looks like the problem only starts once the creation goes over what would normally be the max complexity.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

queen_ashes wrote:It was infinite complexity, it looks like the problem only starts once the creation goes over what would normally be the max complexity.
...oh.

That would explain it - that's not the vanilla complexity limit you're crossing...that's the 255-part limit. Spore simply isn't capable of handling a pseudo-infinite number of parts, unfortunately.

I've been working on mitigations for this issue, which can be seen here:
Unfortunately, they haven't made their way into a public release yet...

queen_ashes
Hatchling
Hatchling

rob55rod wrote:
queen_ashes wrote:It was infinite complexity, it looks like the problem only starts once the creation goes over what would normally be the max complexity.
...oh.

That would explain it - that's not the vanilla complexity limit you're crossing...that's the 255-part limit. Spore simply isn't capable of handling a pseudo-infinite number of parts, unfortunately.
Dang, I didn't think I'd put on THAT many parts since I tested it out and it seemed to start crashing after I filled the vanilla meter and then went back and added just a bit more. Now I'll count so that I know when to expect the crash lol. At least it's something I can deal with pretty easily (just save a ton and paint the thing first before adding parts)
Thanks for helping me figure out what my issue was! That part count feature will be super helpful to have in future releases too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “FAQ, Info, and Help”