Things I Noticed with the Full Darkspore UI

Have an idea for how to make 9.r the best update since v1? Want to help make it all come to life? Let us know here!
Luigi.exe
Creature
Creature

Things I Noticed with the Full Darkspore UI

Unread post by Luigi.exe »

So, I updated Dark Injections yesterday to see the lovely new config options when installing it (wonderful addition!) and I definitely noticed a few things I wanted to point out.
First off, I noticed I started crashing slightly more frequently, especially in the adventure editor when talking to NPCs with optional dialogue, attempting to save a creature while creating a creature in the adventure creator, and this happened over three times in one day. Now, I only have a few things enabled which were only the flexible editor camera and the genetic modifier and with the hero editor background, and I don't know the exact cause.
Anyway, I played a little bit in the space stage and a few adventures and also did some adventure creating to check out this UI. First that I noticed in the adventure creator, I can't see the complexity limit at all, even finding the different editing/testing modes was slightly difficult when in test-drive mode because of how I have the window set up, but I swear that I don't see the adventure complexity meter, and that's personally a problem for me since I usually make highly elaborate adventures. Also, the random floating enable time limit button is slightly jarring as well. And that reminds me, since I'm playing in windowed mode the adventure title is slightly cut off at the top and I don't know if that's an issue when fullscreen is enabled. The rest of the adventure creator layout is perfectly fine otherwise.

Then... when playing the space stage, the position of the map is kind of counter-intuitive because when I hover my cursor over one of my colonies...:
...I can't get a good look on the stats of the colony. My suggestion is to change the positions of where the boxes appear to better suit the position of the planetary map. I haven't played any of the other stages/editors with the UI, but other than the issues I pointed out, I think it's looking good!

Spore is your imagination, the stronger it is; the better you can be in Spore! Image
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: Things I Noticed with the Full Darkspore UI

Unread post by rob55rod »

Eevee Craft wrote:So, I updated Dark Injections yesterday to see the lovely new config options when installing it (wonderful addition!) and I definitely noticed a few things I wanted to point out.
...those have been there since the first release after I took over on DI's development, but nonetheless...for all the nightmarish hassle DI's componentization scheme has become, these little bits of feedback - reassurance that my efforts are of benefit to someone - make it all worth the trouble.

Eevee Craft wrote:First off, I noticed I started crashing slightly more frequently, especially in the adventure editor when talking to NPCs with optional dialogue, attempting to save a creature while creating a creature in the adventure creator, and this happened over three times in one day. Now, I only have a few things enabled which were only the flexible editor camera and the genetic modifier and with the hero editor background, and I don't know the exact cause.
Hmmmmst...have you observed any particular ingame event(s) which seem to occur immediately prior to the crash? And for that matter, can you show me your current DI configuration in its entirety (and whatever other mods you have installed, if any)?

Eevee Craft wrote:Anyway, I played a little bit in the space stage and a few adventures and also did some adventure creating to check out this UI. First that I noticed in the adventure creator, I can't see the complexity limit at all,
Eevee Craft wrote:but I swear that I don't see the adventure complexity meter, and that's personally a problem for me since I usually make highly elaborate adventures.
It's placed behind the "Name your Creation" button, just like in the other editors. Except that button is further towards the top of the game window.

Eevee Craft wrote:even finding the different editing/testing modes was slightly difficult when in test-drive mode because of how I have the window set up
Not quite sure what you mean...would you mind providing a screenshot of that issue?

Eevee Craft wrote:Also, the random floating enable time limit button is slightly jarring as well.
Yeah, I originally had the button further up on the actual acts bar, but one of my Private Beta testers pointed out that the number flyouts were getting cut off by the top of the screen/game window with it positioned there. Out of desperation and time-related anxiety, I basically just shoved it downwards, crossed my fingers, and hoped for the best, figuring I'd take the time to come up with a better solution after the 2.3.0 release.
Needless to say, I've yet to find that time, given that everything seems to be crumbling around us as of lately.
Eevee Craft wrote:And that reminds me, since I'm playing in windowed mode the adventure title is slightly cut off at the top and I don't know if that's an issue when fullscreen is enabled. The rest of the adventure creator layout is perfectly fine otherwise.
Again, the more images you can provide, the better I'm able to understand - and thus act upon - these issues.
Eevee Craft wrote:Then... when playing the space stage, the position of the map is kind of counter-intuitive because when I hover my cursor over one of my colonies...:
...I can't get a good look on the stats of the colony. My suggestion is to change the positions of where the boxes appear to better suit the position of the planetary map.
...I knew I missed something. I'll see if I can dig up that SPUI. Assuming there is one. Let's just hope the flyouts aren't programatically generated...
Eevee Craft wrote:I haven't played any of the other stages/editors with the UI, but other than the issues I pointed out, I think it's looking good!
Appreciated.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Luigi.exe
Creature
Creature

Re: Things I Noticed with the Full Darkspore UI

Unread post by Luigi.exe »

Hmmmmst...have you observed any particular ingame event(s) which seem to occur immediately prior to the crash? And for that matter, can you show me your current DI configuration in its entirety (and whatever other mods you have installed, if any)?
Here's my DI configuration plus all the mods in my mod folder:
The only correlation I noticed was whenever I clicked optional or required dialogue in adventures and trying to save a creation. The others seemed random.
It's placed behind the "Name your Creation" button, just like in the other editors. Except that button is further towards the top of the game window.
Oh... That's pretty difficult to spot, actually. You might want to move that to a slightly more viable area like down here:
Not quite sure what you mean...would you mind providing a screenshot of that issue?
This may be an issue with the game in general, but when I have my game window set up like this:
The bottom is cut off and I can barely see the mode buttons:
And while I'm reminded, I personally find the height of the bottom bar to be too wide since it blocks a few things as a result, but that may just be a nitpick of mine.

EDIT: And while I was gathering screenshots for the reply, I'm stuck in the creature editor with the save options gone and I can't exit to main menu:
That's an issue...
Spore is your imagination, the stronger it is; the better you can be in Spore! Image
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “DI 9.r suggestions, ideas, and contributions”