ColorfulSpices

Spiffy759
Cell
Cell

ColorfulSpices

Unread post by Spiffy759 »

ColorfulSpices
:spore: :ga: :patch1.5:
I wanted more spice, but couldn't quite find a mod that had the features I wanted, so I buckled down and made one for myself - I figured I should share it here.

This mod reworks vanilla spice spawn rates and colors, in addition to adding in 6 new spices to discover and sell. FEATURES:
--Reworked spawn rates for all base game spices (no price changes)
--New colors for the stock spices INCLUDING crate colors.
--6 new spices (Cyan, Orange, Brown, White, Gray, and Black) with their own crates, icons, prices, and textures.
You can view the new spawn rates in this here chart.
Spoiler
Spoiler
An image showcasing both white and brown spice, as well as blue spice's new color.
Spoiler
The new texture for red spice crates.
NOTE: This mod requires Spore GA.
ENJOY!

DOWNLOAD:
vv1.0 Release:
ColorfulSpices.package
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 1115 times
Last edited by Spiffy759 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: ColorfulSpices

Unread post by rob55rod »

Nice to see some Space Stage mods popping up. Not my cup of tea personally, but there's definitely a market for these, and I'm sure they'll appreciate this.

Spiffy759 wrote:--This was made with the latest Steam version of spore with all DLC and bot parts installed; I didn't add a packing signature (tbh not sure what that does), and cannot guarantee it will work with other versions of the game.
Embedded package signatures are sometimes needed to override some files. Exactly which files require this depends on the version and distribution source of the game. That said, an up-to-date Steam install is as strict as they come, so in theory, if it works on Steam Spore, it should work on all legal versions of the game. Then again, this is Spore, so proving a theoretical outcome is meaningless in practice. As such, I'd advise you seek out potential testers who use other versions of the game, so you can either say with certainty that it works with all relevant versions of the game or, if needed, update it so it does.
Spiffy759 wrote:--You do not need a mod installer to install this mod.
--------If you have EP1 (Galactic Adventures), put it into the DataEP1 folder.
--------If you don't, put it into the Data folder (I can't guarantee this will work - let me know and I'll update this post.)
I would strongly advise you not encourage manual installation, as this simply creates unnecessary confusion among potential users. After all, there's no reason to bother them with two ways of installing mods when just one will suffice, right? If you're not convinced that this is a real problem that actually exists, then allow me to point out that your instructions are flat-out invalid for some versions of the game. You yourself are a victim of the confusion manual installation creates. I'm not saying this to call you out, I merely wish to recommend a likely-preferable course of action.

Spiffy759 wrote:vv1.0 Release:
...was the double "v" here intended?
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Spiffy759
Cell
Cell

Unread post by Spiffy759 »

1.Alrighty, I'll look into testing my mod with other versions of spore. My brother has GA (no bot parts or creepy and cute) on origin so I'll try it out on his PC when I get the chance. I have no way of testing it on a disk copy of spore unfortunately. Would you recommend having a signature for every mod?

2.I wasn't aware there were so many different ways to install spore mods; what's an appropriate way to go about that? Should I suggest using the mod API for installation instead?

3. Well I put 'vv' because if I release subsequent versions of the mod then I'd just make a list like...
vv1.0
[download]
vv2.0
[download]

but I guess I could do it some other way should the need arise

Thanks for the insight! I don't really intend on becoming a full on modder or anything, but should I ever want to publish more of my little edits, I'll keep all of this in mind.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unread post by rob55rod »

Spiffy759 wrote:1.Alrighty, I'll look into testing my mod with other versions of spore. My brother has GA (no bot parts or creepy and cute) on origin so I'll try it out on his PC when I get the chance. I have no way of testing it on a disk copy of spore unfortunately.
That would be a good start, es. I'd recommend you suggest he backup his creations and save data first, just in case. As for disk versions...ask around online. There's bound to be someone who'd be willing and able to test the mod for you on the disk version out there. The SMC Discord Server may be a good place to inquire, if you use Discord.

Spiffy759 wrote:Would you recommend having a signature for every mod?
Absolutely not. The embedded package signatures should only be used when it is absolutely necessary to do so. You never want your mod to take higher priority than it needs to in order to do its job. Unfortunately, we've set a bad precedent in that department, but that doesn't mean it's too late to correct course.

Spiffy759 wrote:2.I wasn't aware there were so many different ways to install spore mods;
Truth is, there aren't a huge number of ways to install Spore mods, the issue is more that manual installation is one method with many variables to take into account. Too many variables. The Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit eliminates nearly all of them, providing a smoother experience for the end user. Additionally, the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit works best when it is the only method used, and since it can do everything standard manual installation can do and more with less hassle, there's really no reason to discourage it. By encouraging it, you teach users one way to install mods, rather than two. Config tweaks still can't be installed through it, but I'm hoping that will change in the future.
Spiffy759 wrote:what's an appropriate way to go about that? Should I suggest using the mod API for installation instead?
If it were me, I wouldn't include installation instructions with the mod itself unless they differ from the norm. In your case they don't, so the user should be able to use any standard documentation they find. That way, you don't have to worry about maintaining the instructions you provide.
Spiffy759 wrote:3. Well I put 'vv' because if I release subsequent versions of the mod then I'd just make a list like...
vv1.0
[download]
vv2.0
[download]
Oh okay. I'd figured it might've been a typo (e.g. "vv1.0" vs "v1.0"), but evidently not.
Spiffy759 wrote:Thanks for the insight! I don't really intend on becoming a full on modder or anything, but should I ever want to publish more of my little edits, I'll keep all of this in mind.
No problem, happy to help. Best of luck if you decide to change your plans. We can always use more people keeping things interesting for those of us who still play this game, especially in less popular areas like the one you've seemingly set sights on.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
ScyobiEmpire
Cell
Cell

Unread post by ScyobiEmpire »

I remember when I found a White Spice Gas Giant in Core Spore...
ThomasMHxDeaf
Cell
Cell

Unread post by ThomasMHxDeaf »

Big thanks! I fixed it change. The Red, Yellow, and Blue Spice.

Red Star had more red spices, fewer yellow spices, and no blue spices.
Yellow Star had more yellow spices and fewer red and blue spices.
Blue Star had more blue spices, fewer yellow spices, and no red spices.

Here download link:
!!ThomasMHxDeaf_ColorfulSpices.package
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 186 times
Spoiler
ThomasMHxDeaf_sporecolorspicesmod.png
🙂👍 ✅
Charafton
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Charafton »

how does this mod work with the simplyspice mod?
Badger Farmer
Cell
Cell

Unread post by Badger Farmer »

This is definately the best mod that adds new spice types to the game
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “» Stage - Space”