Official Dark Injection FAQ! Answers and Fixes!

Here you can find information regarding Dark Injection, or post questions if you need further help.
allydana06
Cell
Cell

Re: Official Dark Injection FAQ! Answers and Fixes!

Unread post by allydana06 »

So, I have a problem with most of the parts being invisible, I don't have C&C, and I have steam, installing DI with modapi. Is the problem because I dont have C&C? Or is it because I don't have the Arena packages? I was guessing I don't have those because I installed it with modapi instead of manually, but I have no idea.

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unread post by rob55rod »

allydana06 wrote:Is the problem because I dont have C&C?
No, DI doesn't require C&C.
allydana06 wrote:Or is it because I don't have the Arena packages?
No, the "Arena packages" in their original form aren't needed anymore. Only one package remains, and don't expect it to stick around much longer. Issues like yours are precisely why I'm hoping to ditch them entirely.
allydana06 wrote:I was guessing I don't have those because I installed it with modapi instead of manually, but I have no idea.
...what's the point of automating installation if it only does half of the job?

Anywaves, onto solving this problem...where did you install Spore from? Steam? GOG? Disks? Origin?
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
allydana06
Cell
Cell

I downloaded it with steam, and i just recently got GA and DI on it.
Rat havoc
Hatchling
Hatchling

Possibly dumb questions?

Unread post by Rat havoc »

I'm sorry if these have been answered elsewhere already, but this should be quick.

Dark Injection adds a bunch of armor parts to the small collection of clothing pieces in the core game, and can make them available in the creature editor.

I love the super fancy Darkspore masks, obviously found in the masks sub-menu of the outfit category in the creature creator ... HOWEVER they're unavailable in the outfitters! The Darkspore armor and weapons get their own full categories in the outfitters, but the masks category in the outfitters lacks the Darkspore masks.

On a related note, when I have genetic manipulator enabled, some of the outfitter items in the appropriated creature editor are unavailable. I think they're things you'd normally unlock in the outfitters by passing milestones in the tribal stage and so forth, but they don't seem to unlock. It also seems to completely replace the normal outfitter, though I'm not sure if that's an oversight or as intended. In UI weirdness, there are two images of the character on the management page where you'd go to the outfitters. Uninstalling DI, to see how the game would behave, I expected to only see the outfitters, but instead saw the outfitter and the genetic modifier as separate windows, implying they were overlapping before. Of course, the game didn't properly load my colonist, and then crashed when I exited, since the base game isn't meant to have a genetic modifier.

Other miscellaneous dumb questions. The invisible limbs, being unusable. Does that just mean, in editors? or as in breaking the game play itself? What is the point of the 'detail mouths' and so forth, they seem to be no different? Same with the Darkspore textured core parts, once skinned. Also, the glowing magma skin doesn't seem to work; is there a setting or trick that has to be done to get it to not just be black?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for being so demanding.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: Possibly dumb questions?

allydana06 wrote:I downloaded it with steam, and i just recently got GA and DI on it.
So both Spore and GA were installed from Steam, and only Steam?

Rat havoc wrote:Dark Injection adds a bunch of armor parts to the small collection of clothing pieces in the core game, and can make them available in the creature editor.

I love the super fancy Darkspore masks, obviously found in the masks sub-menu of the outfit category in the creature creator ... HOWEVER they're unavailable in the outfitters! The Darkspore armor and weapons get their own full categories in the outfitters, but the masks category in the outfitters lacks the Darkspore masks.
The availability of any Darkspore parts in the outfitter at all is a fairly recent addition, and perhaps one I haven't fully thought out. You raise a valid point that having access to those masks would make sense. I've added hat to my to-do list for the next update.

Rat havoc wrote:On a related note, when I have genetic manipulator enabled, some of the outfitter items in the appropriated creature editor are unavailable. I think they're things you'd normally unlock in the outfitters by passing milestones in the tribal stage and so forth, but they don't seem to unlock. It also seems to completely replace the normal outfitter, though I'm not sure if that's an oversight or as intended. In UI weirdness, there are two images of the character on the management page where you'd go to the outfitters. Uninstalling DI, to see how the game would behave, I expected to only see the outfitters, but instead saw the outfitter and the genetic modifier as separate windows, implying they were overlapping before. Of course, the game didn't properly load my colonist, and then crashed when I exited, since the base game isn't meant to have a genetic modifier.
Yeah, that entire feature is somewhat of a fustercluck. Known issue, already working on a fix for the next update.

Rat havoc wrote:Other miscellaneous dumb questions. The invisible limbs, being unusable. Does that just mean, in editors? or as in breaking the game play itself?
It just means you can't alter their positions properly while the True Invisible Limbs component is enabled. Guess I should alter the phrasing of that component's description to be a bit less vague, huh?

Rat havoc wrote:What is the point of the 'detail mouths' and so forth, they seem to be no different?
They function as detail parts, rather than as mouths. I honestly don't know why they were added to Dark Injection instead of being released as a separate mod, as their introduction predates my involvement in DI. Had I been in charge back then, they would've either been a separate mod or not existed at all.

Rat havoc wrote:Same with the Darkspore textured core parts, once skinned.
The Darkspore versions of the parts' textures inherit the creature's paint colours almost entirely, rather than maintaining a fixed peachy colour like their vanilla counterparts.

Rat havoc wrote:Also, the glowing magma skin doesn't seem to work; is there a setting or trick that has to be done to get it to not just be black?
No, your initial statement is correct.

Rat havoc wrote:Thanks in advance, and sorry for being so demanding.
No problem. I've seen demanding before...there was nothing demanding about your post.

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
allydana06
Cell
Cell

Sorry for late response, but yes, they've only been installed on steam.
Rat havoc
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Possibly dumb questions?

Unread post by Rat havoc »

rob55rod wrote:I've added hat to my to-do list for the next update.
Where would I find notification of updates? I admit to being fairly prone to isolating myself, so i seldom stay on the pulse of anything.

Thank you for your answers though, most informative! :)
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

allydana06 wrote:Sorry for late response, but yes, they've only been installed on steam.
Strange. I think I may know what's wrong, but not why that might have happened. Have you ever, at any point in the past, had Spore from a source other than Steam? Or did you perhaps, at some point, uninstall the Steam version of Spore, and later reinstall it to a different location?
Rat havoc wrote:
rob55rod wrote:I've added hat to my to-do list for the next update.
Where would I find notification of updates? I admit to being fairly prone to isolating myself, so i seldom stay on the pulse of anything.
On the Dark Injection webpage. Note that little label which states the most recent build of DI. That will change every time I put out a new public build of DI.
Rat havoc wrote:Thank you for your answers though, most informative! :)
No problem.

Coelophysis
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Coelophysis »

I've recently reinstalled Spore and its expansions and just reinstalled Dark Injection and the handful of other mods I use and I'm having an issue. I have two pages for both Core Spore and C&C eyes like I should, but the regular Core Spore eyes and the DarkSpore style eyes are identical. I had an earlier version of the mod where the regular eyes worked and the duplicates were fine too, but now they're both DarkSpore style. Any idea what might be causing it? I'm using the Steam version of Spore if that's helpful.

Edit: This is a bit embarrassing but I solved my problem about five minutes after making this post. I had zArenas_RDX9 and zArenas_Textures in the wrong folder!
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Coelophysis wrote:I had zArenas_RDX9 and zArenas_Textures in the wrong folder!
...if you have those packages at all, you're on an outdated version of Dark Injection. Where did you obtain Dark Injection from, and when?

Coelophysis
Hatchling
Hatchling

I used the link on the Dark Injection homepage, and downloaded those two files separately because the Crogenitor weapons were invisible in the Creature Creator without them. Putting them in my main Spore data folder also fixed the problem I was having with the eyes. The name of the Dark Injection file I have is "!!!!!!2019_DI_9_r_Beta2-3-2.sporemod"
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Coelophysis wrote:I used the link on the Dark Injection homepage, and downloaded those two files separately because the Crogenitor weapons were invisible in the Creature Creator without them. Putting them in my main Spore data folder also fixed the problem I was having with the eyes. The name of the Dark Injection file I have is "!!!!!!2019_DI_9_r_Beta2-3-2.sporemod"
So basically, you ran into a problem which has a known solution, and rather than seeking assistance, you...circumvented the entire topic by slapping in some old deprecated outdated files which just so happen to have the same effect as solving the problem? Right. Got it. That's...kind of a terrible idea in the long run though, but props to you for atleast trying. (Not being sarcastic about that last bit btw)

If you're still interested in a proper solution, I'll be happy to provide one. It'd be easier for both of us if you're able and willing to meet up on, say, Steam or Discord or something.

Also, for your information, there's a good reason for which I'm getting rid of the whole zArenas_* arrangement entirely for the next update. This kind of apparent nonsense is a fine example of that reason.

Coelophysis
Hatchling
Hatchling

rob55rod wrote:
Coelophysis wrote:I used the link on the Dark Injection homepage, and downloaded those two files separately because the Crogenitor weapons were invisible in the Creature Creator without them. Putting them in my main Spore data folder also fixed the problem I was having with the eyes. The name of the Dark Injection file I have is "!!!!!!2019_DI_9_r_Beta2-3-2.sporemod"
So basically, you ran into a problem which has a known solution, and rather than seeking assistance, you...circumvented the entire topic by slapping in some old deprecated outdated files which just so happen to have the same effect as solving the problem? Right. Got it. That's...kind of a terrible idea in the long run though, but props to you for atleast trying. (Not being sarcastic about that last bit btw)

If you're still interested in a proper solution, I'll be happy to provide one. It'd be easier for both of us if you're able and willing to meet up on, say, Steam or Discord or something.

Also, for your information, there's a good reason for which I'm getting rid of the whole zArenas_* arrangement entirely for the next update. This kind of apparent nonsense is a fine example of that reason.
I was following the suggestion in the Dark Injection FAQ regarding invisible parts. I'd be happy to find a different way to fix it if you don't mind telling me over Steam. I just sent you a friend request. I was basically just trying whatever I could find in 10 minutes so my son could make a creature before bedtime, so my bad for not reading the entire thread.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Coelophysis wrote:I was following the suggestion in the Dark Injection FAQ regarding invisible parts. I'd be happy to find a different way to fix it if you don't mind telling me over Steam. I just sent you a friend request. I was basically just trying whatever I could find in 10 minutes so my son could make a creature before bedtime, so my bad for not reading the entire thread.
My apologies, sounds like the mistake was on my part...I really need to properly update the FAQ .-.

Coelophysis
Hatchling
Hatchling

rob55rod wrote:
Coelophysis wrote:I was following the suggestion in the Dark Injection FAQ regarding invisible parts. I'd be happy to find a different way to fix it if you don't mind telling me over Steam. I just sent you a friend request. I was basically just trying whatever I could find in 10 minutes so my son could make a creature before bedtime, so my bad for not reading the entire thread.
My apologies, sounds like the mistake was on my part...I really need to properly update the FAQ .-.
No worries! I'm just glad I got a fast response.
AlexanderChip
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by AlexanderChip »

this post seems old but whenever i run spore with the modapi easylauncher it still says im not using the mod api i am using steam versions of sport and galactic adventure
allydana06
Cell
Cell

Agh, i'm SO sorry for another late response, i got super busy and forgot about this. No, I haven't done either of those things.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

AlexanderChip wrote:this post seems old
It's old, but still actively maintained and up-to-date.
AlexanderChip wrote:but whenever i run spore with the modapi easylauncher it still says im not using the mod api i am using steam versions of sport and galactic adventure
Do any other error messages appear before the game starts?

fungus3
Sentient
Sentient

Unread post by fungus3 »

Does Dark Injection 100% require the ModAPI now?

Looks like the ModAPI has been infected:
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/cfc5c ... /detection
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

fungus3 wrote:Does Dark Injection 100% require the ModAPI now?
Yes
fungus3 wrote:Looks like the ModAPI has been infected:
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/cfc5c ... /detection
Jumping to conclusions yet again. Have you ever heard of a "false positive"?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “FAQ, Info, and Help”