How to create new Spore part models (animated parts!)

Learn how to use tools, install mods and so much more. Feel free to share your knowledge as well.
Forum rules
Can't get a mod to work?
Try these... FIRST!

http://www.davoonline.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=6
emd
Admin
Admin

Re: How to create new Spore part models (animated parts!)

Unread post by emd »

Yes, that's weird. be sure the model you are putting in part_models_lod1~ is actually animated.

Spore Modding Tools:
[list]
[*] SporeModder FX
[*] SporeModder Blender Addons
[*] Spore ModAPI SDK[/list]
tklarenb
Tribal
Tribal

Unread post by tklarenb »

Emd4600 [ASR] wrote:Yes, that's weird. be sure the model you are putting in part_models_lod1~ is actually animated.
The model files are the same as the ones in part_models, I literally just copied everything over to part_models_lod1~, and like I said earlier they animate fine in the editor, so they do have animations. Maybe someone can take a look at the package and see what's going wrong? Here's a link to what I currently have: http://www.mediafire.com/file/su3mxsus1 ... ed.package
(Just a note for those who download the fourth head is unfinished so it having no textures is normal)
PixelLove
Cell
Cell

Unread post by PixelLove »

What do I do with a part after I've exported it from blender? There's no .rw4 file extension in any of the spore folders.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unread post by rob55rod »

PixelLove wrote:What do I do with a part after I've exported it from blender? There's no .rw4 file extension in any of the spore folders.
Just laid that out for you on the thread you created ^-^
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
PixelLove
Cell
Cell

Okay...I still have no remote idea what to do once I have a rw4 file because the SporeModder only opens package files and for some reason there's 0 instructions anywhere on how to write a properties file for this spore, it's not something you can just randomly guess at and hope to get right, not that anything remotely explains what to do with them anyway once I have them. All I want to do is quickly test a part to see if it does what I want it to do in the game so that I know I don't have to worry about the animation and can move on to the textures. How come after like 4 years there isn't just a basic video walk-through of the process? And why does this website say I'm offline while I'm typing this message? I really underestimated the importance of marketing and graphic design until I saw this whole mod campaign.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

PixelLove wrote:Okay...I still have no remote idea what to do once I have a rw4 file because the SporeModder only opens package files and for some reason there's 0 instructions anywhere on how to write a properties file for this spore, it's not something you can just randomly guess at and hope to get right, not that anything remotely explains what to do with them anyway once I have them.
I apologize, I'm not very good at explaining stuff .-.

Also, do you have the base game files unpacked? I just realized I forgot to ask...because if not, you really should...

PixelLove wrote:All I want to do is quickly test a part to see if it does what I want it to do in the game so that I know I don't have to worry about the animation and can move on to the textures.
Here's a test project which will allow you do to just that: DOWNLOAD
(just place the "!!!!!!PixelLoveTest" folder into SporeModder's "Projects" folder)

PixelLove wrote:How come after like 4 years there isn't just a basic video walk-through of the process?
Because I've been trying to make one, but I haven't managed to do so yet. As stated above, I'm not very good at explaining stuff :/

PixelLove wrote:And why does this website say I'm offline while I'm typing this message?
I don't know, probably a forum bug.

PixelLove wrote:I really underestimated the importance of marketing and graphic design until I saw this whole mod campaign.
...huh? What do you mean?

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
PixelLove
Cell
Cell

rob55rod wrote:
PixelLove wrote:Okay...I still have no remote idea what to do once I have a rw4 file because the SporeModder only opens package files and for some reason there's 0 instructions anywhere on how to write a properties file for this spore, it's not something you can just randomly guess at and hope to get right, not that anything remotely explains what to do with them anyway once I have them.
I apologize, I'm not very good at explaining stuff .-.

Also, do you have the base game files unpacked? I just realized I forgot to ask...because if not, you really should...
It's not that you're bad at explaining stuff, it's that you just simply don't explain stuff. The game itself is playable, it's not locked up in some zip archive. However, all the things that should be a package file like the darkspore injection are still a package file. Is there some reason I should unachive these files? What else would I need to uppack? DSI already glitched the game up pretty bad, I don't think it's a good idea to screw with anything else. You're still not explaining what I do with this niche rw4 file that only EA uses for anything.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

PixelLove wrote:It's not that you're bad at explaining stuff, it's that you just simply don't explain stuff.
True...
PixelLove wrote:The game itself is playable, it's not locked up in some zip archive.
True, it's compiled into an EXE and a stack of DLLs, with some package files containing the game files.
PixelLove wrote:However, all the things that should be a package file like the darkspore injection are still a package file.
Yeah, mods. Mods containing files.
PixelLove wrote:Is there some reason I should unachive these files?
Not the Dark Injection packages, but you're going to want to unpack the Core Spore and GA packages so you can access (and build off of) their contents.
PixelLove wrote:You're still not explaining what I do with this niche rw4 file that only EA uses for anything.
The rw4 file is a model/texture format. In the example project, I included some dummy rw4 models in subfolders of the "editor_rigblocks~" folder, which you were to replace with your model. Does that clarify?

I'm so sorry for all the confusion... ._.
(This is why I thought Steam would be a good idea - it would allow me to address your questions more immediately. Idk if you just didn't see the post where I asked for a link to your Steam profile or simply decided against providing one...it's your call, I'm not trying to force the issue, I just kinda think it'd be better. But if you just don't want to, that's fine by me.)

PixelLove
Cell
Cell

I made a good spore part, but it's not importing into the project properly. I triangulated the mesh, normalized all weights, added keyframes to each bone in each frame (though that really intuitively doesn't at all seem like what I should do, are you sure you can't phrase it better?), added materials and a smart-project uv map. Still no luck. Do I need to do a UV unwrap before the animation? I'm allowed to scale bones in various ways right? And also make them not inherit scaling individually?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

PixelLove wrote:I made a good spore part, but it's not importing into the project properly. I triangulated the mesh
kgood
PixelLove wrote:normalized all weights
Are you sure you unchecked "Lock active"?
PixelLove wrote:added keyframes to each bone in each frame (though that really intuitively doesn't at all seem like what I should do, are you sure you can't phrase it better?)
I said in each frame that has a key for any bone, so each frame should either have keys for every bone or no keys at all.

PixelLove wrote:a smart-project uv map
Wat
PixelLove wrote:Do I need to do a UV unwrap before the animation?
Order doesn't matter
PixelLove wrote:I'm allowed to scale bones in various ways right?
Yes
PixelLove wrote:And also make them not inherit scaling individually?
...maybe?

denor
Cell
Cell

Unread post by denor »

nice job
denor
Cell
Cell

Unread post by denor »

when i tried exporting a part it popped up the blender folder for when you install the add-on so is there a way to export a part into spore with out the problem from ever happening again
Arceus-Mew
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Arceus-Mew »

Hello! Me and a friend are trying to make our own parts! we got about 4 to work so far however the parts have this weird black wavey thing when you move the parts the black travels can we get some help? :spore: :ga:
MarioBabyLuigi
Tribal
Tribal

Unread post by MarioBabyLuigi »

Images can help.
tklarenb
Tribal
Tribal

Unread post by tklarenb »

So it's been awhile since I've attempted modding in parts, currently trying to make a raptor head but running into a very frustrating bug. The part works perfectly in the creature editor:
But in game, the head is flipped around backwards, and will randomly flip forwards again (flipping seems to be tied to the open mouth animation):

I've tried remaking the rw4 entirely from scratch 3 or 4 times now, and every time I get this bug. My guess is I'm missing some setting in Blender since I'm so inexperienced with the program (I own both 3ds Max and Zbrush, so I pretty much never use Blender). I'm hoping someone here might be able to spot what I'm missing. The part has only one animation (open mouth).

Here's a link to the Blender file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/009pzmm09 ... orv2.blend
And in case it's not Blender related, here's a link to the package file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/a5mklwavf ... ds.package
EmaGrox
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by EmaGrox »

alguien me puede enseñar a hacer backgrounds por favor??
Snaid1
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by Snaid1 »

EmaGrox wrote:alguien me puede enseñar a hacer backgrounds por favor??
Translation: "Can anyone teach me to make backgrounds please??"

Welcome EmaGrox, I can't help with the backgrounds but you may want to translate your posts into English in the future so that more people here understand what you are asking.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Tutorials”