How To Properly Extract Data From Spore Files

Learn how to use tools, install mods and so much more. Feel free to share your knowledge as well.
Forum rules
Can't get a mod to work?
Try these... FIRST!

http://www.davoonline.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=6
GBAura
Sentient
Sentient

How To Properly Extract Data From Spore Files

Unread post by GBAura »

As you may know, there was a major glitch in SporeMaster where if you try to unpack any of the package files, the program may run into an error where it goes something like (depending on the file);

System.Exception.invalid type 6
at Gibbed.Spore.PropertyFile.Read(Stream input)
at SporeMaster.PackageUnpack.writePropFile(Byte [] data, String fn)
at SporeMaster.PackageUnpack...ctor(Stream[] packageFiles, String
destina-AAAARRRGGGH!

It doesn't always happen, but there was some package files that always run into this issue no matter what, most notably the Booster file from the Creepy and Cute parts pack. What made it worse is that when SporeMaster runs into this error, it stops unpacking immediately, meaning that the rest of the files that would be extracted failed to get through. This is really annoying for serious modders who want to get all the data out of the files, especially to those who want to play around and see how many unused stuff they can find in there. I did hear of a lost version of SporeMaster that fixed this issue, but we never got it. However, when I found out that these files are actually DBPF files, I discovered a way to unpack them with no trouble. Believe or not, I actually found this a long time ago, but I didn't try it out because I didn't know I could do that. Silly me. XP

Alright. Here's what you need:
---------------------------------
SporeMaster

Any file you have trouble unpacking before

The Sims 3 Package Editor (kudos to the Sims modding community for making this tool!)

Now you got everything you need, lets start.
First off, open S3PE and open the file you had issues unpacking. Alternatively, you can just click on the package file and S3PE will open it, but it may not always work. The program will "hide" for a bit, but don't worry, it's loading it.
Now that you have the program running the file, it'll show you a bunch of internal data in it. If you want to extract certain elements at a time, you need to the click on the "Tag" tab on the left it it'll sort the file types by name. Also, you need to understand the tags the Package Editor sorted out, but I'll give you a short guide.

AUD - A sound file.

SWB- An .#EA5118B0 file. Don't know what it's for.

CNFG - A trigger file.

IMA - A picture file (if you set S3PE to view the images, it'll show you a preview on the right, just like in SporeMaster, but you can also view the DDS file).

PROP - A #02B9F662 file. Not sure what it was used for though either.

UNK - A foreign file that isn't detected by the program. Most of it is XML's but it can be pretty much anything. However, some of these are the main reason why SporeMaster couldn't open the package date to begin with, so be aware of that if you are trying to extract these types of files.

VOCE - Data for the way sounds are being played in the game (like fading and filters)
If you want to get the files of a certain type, click on the first instance of the file you want, and go down to the last instance of the file type, hold the Shift key and click on it. Depending on how many you are there, it'll take time for the program to select all of them. You can speed it up by moving down as the files are being highlighted.

Once that's done, fight click on any selected file and go to Export - To Package. Name it hover you want and wait for the program to export it. Whatever you do, don't export it to file because depending on the file type itself, it may export it in a different format and name.

Now, get SporeMaster and unpack the file you just created, and you should be able to get the content you didn't get before. However, it's not recommended you highlight all the files in S3PE, because if there are any files that SporeMaster had trouble opening previously, it won't open them either. Remember what I said about the UNK files? Yeah, S3PE won't fix it.
Also be wary of the fact that when the Package Editor extracts the files, depending on how many you selected and what type it is, the created DBPF will be larger than the original. Electronic Arts really had some powerful compression tools for this type of stuff, and they were the ones who created the DBPF format!

Hope this helps! ;)

Ripper of Spore: Unofficial Galactic Score and... that's about it.

Need to download all the official Maxis and Robot Chicken Adventures? Click here!
Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Re: How To Properly Extract Data From Spore Files

Unread post by Davo »

Thanks for the tutorial. I learned a bit from EMD, at least what i could. It was enough to make the core texture/model mod for DI.

Nice to see a tutorial here!
emd
Admin
Admin

Unread post by emd »

.#EA5118B0 is for effect files
The error happens because SporeMaster is attempting to convert a .prop file that is corrupt or invalid. In case of EP1_Data, the file on the #40004000 folder is corrupt, so if you erase it with S3PE and pack the package another time SporeMaster will open it.
Spore Modding Tools:
[list]
[*] SporeModder FX
[*] SporeModder Blender Addons
[*] Spore ModAPI SDK[/list]
p.d
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by p.d »

This sounds really useful!

But when I go to open any of the official "spore_xxxx.package" files, I get an error reading:

unable to parse file: Expected 2, got 3, at position 8

...I have no idea what that means.
94Connor949
Creature
Creature

Unread post by 94Connor949 »

So I've been getting back into Spore modding recently, but I've running into the same thing that p.d.'s mentioned. It pretty much keeps giving me the same error message when I try to open anything that isn't a core-spore file.

Here's the message:
s3pe wrote:Could not open package:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SPORE Galactic Adventures\Data\Spore_EP1_Data.package

This file does not contain the expected package major version number in the header.
This could be because it is a package for Sims2 or Spore.

---
Error message:
Expected major version '2'. Found '3'.
Any advice?
GBAura
Sentient
Sentient

Unread post by GBAura »

I think the problem you and P.D. had (I feel bad for not responding to him since I forgot about it...) is that you didn't install the latest version of Microsoft .NET Framework, which is what S3PE and SporeMaster needs in order to function properly. Then again, I'm just guessing since it's a long time since I used those programs. If that doesn't work, try installing Microsoft Visual C++. I don't remember what version you need, but try snagging all of it to keep your system up to date.
Ripper of Spore: Unofficial Galactic Score and... that's about it.

Need to download all the official Maxis and Robot Chicken Adventures? Click here!
emd
Admin
Admin

Unread post by emd »

Try to use this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5296
Spore Modding Tools:
[list]
[*] SporeModder FX
[*] SporeModder Blender Addons
[*] Spore ModAPI SDK[/list]
94Connor949
Creature
Creature

Unread post by 94Connor949 »

Okay, that solved it. Thanks guys. :)
Williamonator
Cell
Cell

Unread post by Williamonator »

GBAura wrote:As you may know, there was a major glitch in SporeMaster where if you try to unpack any of the package files, the program may run into an error where it goes something like (depending on the file);

System.Exception.invalid type 6
at Gibbed.Spore.PropertyFile.Read(Stream input)
at SporeMaster.PackageUnpack.writePropFile(Byte [] data, String fn)
at SporeMaster.PackageUnpack...ctor(Stream[] packageFiles, String
destina-AAAARRRGGGH!

It doesn't always happen, but there was some package files that always run into this issue no matter what, most notably the Booster file from the Creepy and Cute parts pack. What made it worse is that when SporeMaster runs into this error, it stops unpacking immediately, meaning that the rest of the files that would be extracted failed to get through. This is really annoying for serious modders who want to get all the data out of the files, especially to those who want to play around and see how many unused stuff they can find in there. I did hear of a lost version of SporeMaster that fixed this issue, but we never got it. However, when I found out that these files are actually DBPF files, I discovered a way to unpack them with no trouble. Believe or not, I actually found this a long time ago, but I didn't try it out because I didn't know I could do that. Silly me. XP

Alright. Here's what you need:
SporeMaster

Any file you have trouble unpacking before

The Sims 3 Package Editor (kudos to the Sims modding community for making this tool!)

Now you got everything you need, lets start.
First off, open S3PE and open the file you had issues unpacking. Alternatively, you can just click on the package file and S3PE will open it, but it may not always work. The program will "hide" for a bit, but don't worry, it's loading it.
Now that you have the program running the file, it'll show you a bunch of internal data in it. If you want to extract certain elements at a time, you need to the click on the "Tag" tab on the left it it'll sort the file types by name. Also, you need to understand the tags the Package Editor sorted out, but I'll give you a short guide.

AUD - A sound file.

SWB- An .#EA5118B0 file. Don't know what it's for.

CNFG - A trigger file.

IMA - A picture file (if you set S3PE to view the images, it'll show you a preview on the right, just like in SporeMaster, but you can also view the DDS file).

PROP - A #02B9F662 file. Not sure what it was used for though either.

UNK - A foreign file that isn't detected by the program. Most of it is XML's but it can be pretty much anything. However, some of these are the main reason why SporeMaster couldn't open the package date to begin with, so be aware of that if you are trying to extract these types of files.

VOCE - Data for the way sounds are being played in the game (like fading and filters)
If you want to get the files of a certain type, click on the first instance of the file you want, and go down to the last instance of the file type, hold the Shift key and click on it. Depending on how many you are there, it'll take time for the program to select all of them. You can speed it up by moving down as the files are being highlighted.

Once that's done, fight click on any selected file and go to Export - To Package. Name it hover you want and wait for the program to export it. Whatever you do, don't export it to file because depending on the file type itself, it may export it in a different format and name.

Now, get SporeMaster and unpack the file you just created, and you should be able to get the content you didn't get before. However, it's not recommended you highlight all the files in S3PE, because if there are any files that SporeMaster had trouble opening previously, it won't open them either. Remember what I said about the UNK files? Yeah, S3PE won't fix it.
Also be wary of the fact that when the Package Editor extracts the files, depending on how many you selected and what type it is, the created DBPF will be larger than the original. Electronic Arts really had some powerful compression tools for this type of stuff, and they were the ones who created the DBPF format!

Hope this helps! ;)
You seem to know a lot of stuff, do you know what a SMMF file is (spore major mod file) I am using Spore 2005 MOD V2 Beta, not from davo-online. What do I do with this file. I had no luck finding anything online.
Spore is my middle name. Well... not really.
Spore + Spore Creature Creator Free in the same folder = Disaster

:fs:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Tutorials”