How to make a spore part?

The place for mod discussions and seeking out information about Spore modding.
Forum rules
Can't get a mod to work?
Try these... FIRST!

http://www.davoonline.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=6
ThatDaisy
Civilian
Civilian

How to make a spore part?

Unread post by ThatDaisy »

I am familiar with the sporemaster and spore modder interface and I also already have a prepared .rw4 file waiting to become a part but, I can't figure out how to make a part. I want to make a LavaSpore Parts pack. Here's a screenshot of the part I am gonna use: Image

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: How to make a spore part?

Unread post by rob55rod »

Have a look around in the creature_parts~ folder. Unfortunately I'm not able to help you with such a broad question at the moment, but I if that helps you narrow your confusion down, then I may be able to do more.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
ThatDaisy
Civilian
Civilian

;( I give up on trying to make a part for now... the creature_parts~ folder has no .rw4 files and I can't find any of the code used to make a spore part. A shame, I had a lot of spore part ideas, some were already modeled....
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

No, don't give up, just look in the right place. The part models are in part_models~ (may be named editor_rigblocks~ for you), and the PROP files are in creature_parts~. I thought you were asking about the PROP files, but I guess you wanted the models. Sorry, my bad.

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
ThatDaisy
Civilian
Civilian

rob55rod wrote:No, don't give up, just look in the right place. The part models are in part_models~ (may be named editor_rigblocks~ for you), and the PROP files are in creature_parts~. I thought you were asking about the PROP files, but I guess you wanted the models. Sorry, my bad.
The creature_parts~ folder only has .blockdata files which are unreadable I can't find any PROP files
emd
Admin
Admin

Unread post by emd »

I think that happens because you only unpacked the Spore_Game.package . The correct creature_parts~ files are in Spore_Graphics.package, I think.
Spore Modding Tools:
[list]
[*] SporeModder FX
[*] SporeModder Blender Addons
[*] Spore ModAPI SDK[/list]
ThatDaisy
Civilian
Civilian

What is the deal with .gmsh files? Do I need one to make a part?
ThatDaisy
Civilian
Civilian

Oh no! An error what do I do?
ThatDaisy
Civilian
Civilian

ThatDemonDavid wrote:Oh no! An error what do I do?
Solved that. But have a new problem. I've looked at how parts reference each other and such and haven't been able to find out how to get the part into the editor. Here is a link to the project folder for spore modder. Also in case you need it the name of the part is Groggles, this might help with searching for what I have (or haven't) done correctly.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

You only have an item list. You need a page in creature_editor_palette_pages~ , and the filename of this page should be used as the value of the palettePagePartParentPage property in the item list. Once that's done, you'll need to add a file in creature_editor_palette~ , which should reference the file you added in creature_editor_palette_pages~ in its palettePalettePages property. Also, you're overriding a base game item list. Never do that. Also there's a typo in your icon's name - "gorggles" instead of "groggles" :lol:

I've got the project set up to display the part on its own page for you, but your rw4 model doesn't appear ingame and I can't seem to import it into Blender, so that needs fixing...if you could send over the original Blend file (and accompanying textures and such, if any), I'd be happy to take a look and see what's wrong with it.

ThatDaisy
Civilian
Civilian

Here is my model
ThatDaisy
Civilian
Civilian

rob55rod wrote:You only have an item list. You need a page in creature_editor_palette_pages~ , and the filename of this page should be used as the value of the palettePagePartParentPage property in the item list. Once that's done, you'll need to add a file in creature_editor_palette~ , which should reference the file you added in creature_editor_palette_pages~ in its palettePalettePages property. Also, you're overriding a base game item list. Never do that. Also there's a typo in your icon's name - "gorggles" instead of "groggles" :lol:

I've got the project set up to display the part on its own page for you, but your rw4 model doesn't appear ingame and I can't seem to import it into Blender, so that needs fixing...if you could send over the original Blend file (and accompanying textures and such, if any), I'd be happy to take a look and see what's wrong with it.
I got the palette item showing and all that but, it doesn't have an icon or a name. What do I do to fix this?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

For the icon, fix the typo I mentioned. For the name, add a locale~ file with a string containing the part's name and point the blockName property to that.

ThatDaisy
Civilian
Civilian

rob55rod wrote:For the icon, fix the typo I mentioned. For the name, add a locale~ file with a string containing the part's name and point the blockName property to that.
If you're referring to a folder called locale~ I don't have one. Is there a package I don't have unpacked? Also, I fixed the type but, there is still no icon.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

ThatDemonDavid wrote:
rob55rod wrote:For the icon, fix the typo I mentioned. For the name, add a locale~ file with a string containing the part's name and point the blockName property to that.
If you're referring to a folder called locale~ I don't have one. Is there a package I don't have unpacked? Also, I fixed the type but, there is still no icon.
No, you just have to create the folder and a .locale file inside of it. And uhh...not really sure about the icon, fixing the typo worked for me...double-check the spelling again, I guess...?

ThatDaisy
Civilian
Civilian

Icon and stuff fixed for me. It's showing in the palette with an icon but, the model isn't working. When I export it I get the error in blender "Error: unshort format requires 0 <= number <=0xffff" At this point, I'm pretty sure it's a model problem because I have made a couple other fully functional custom parts but, this one isn't working.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mod Discussion”