Can't get a mod to work?
Try these... FIRST!

http://www.davoonline.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=6
ThatDaisy
Sergeant
Sergeant

How to make a spore part?

Unread postby ThatDaisy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:02 pm

I am familiar with the sporemaster and spore modder interface and I also already have a prepared .rw4 file waiting to become a part but, I can't figure out how to make a part. I want to make a LavaSpore Parts pack. Here's a screenshot of the part I am gonna use: Image

rob55rod
Tech Support
Tech Support
Sergeant Major of the Davo Army

Re: How to make a spore part?

Unread postby rob55rod » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:23 am

Have a look around in the creature_parts~ folder. Unfortunately I'm not able to help you with such a broad question at the moment, but I if that helps you narrow your confusion down, then I may be able to do more.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Let us know here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.

ThatDaisy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postby ThatDaisy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:35 am

;( I give up on trying to make a part for now... the creature_parts~ folder has no .rw4 files and I can't find any of the code used to make a spore part. A shame, I had a lot of spore part ideas, some were already modeled....

rob55rod
Tech Support
Tech Support

Unread postby rob55rod » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:34 am

No, don't give up, just look in the right place. The part models are in part_models~ (may be named editor_rigblocks~ for you), and the PROP files are in creature_parts~. I thought you were asking about the PROP files, but I guess you wanted the models. Sorry, my bad.

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.

ThatDaisy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postby ThatDaisy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:55 pm

rob55rod wrote:No, don't give up, just look in the right place. The part models are in part_models~ (may be named editor_rigblocks~ for you), and the PROP files are in creature_parts~. I thought you were asking about the PROP files, but I guess you wanted the models. Sorry, my bad.

The creature_parts~ folder only has .blockdata files which are unreadable I can't find any PROP files

Emd4600 [ASR]
Tech Support
Tech Support
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postby Emd4600 [ASR] » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:12 am

I think that happens because you only unpacked the Spore_Game.package . The correct creature_parts~ files are in Spore_Graphics.package, I think.

ThatDaisy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postby ThatDaisy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:18 pm

What is the deal with .gmsh files? Do I need one to make a part?

ThatDaisy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postby ThatDaisy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Oh no! An error what do I do?

ThatDaisy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postby ThatDaisy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:55 am

ThatDemonDavid wrote:Oh no! An error what do I do?

Solved that. But have a new problem. I've looked at how parts reference each other and such and haven't been able to find out how to get the part into the editor. Here is a link to the project folder for spore modder. Also in case you need it the name of the part is Groggles, this might help with searching for what I have (or haven't) done correctly.

rob55rod
Tech Support
Tech Support

Unread postby rob55rod » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:48 am

You only have an item list. You need a page in creature_editor_palette_pages~ , and the filename of this page should be used as the value of the palettePagePartParentPage property in the item list. Once that's done, you'll need to add a file in creature_editor_palette~ , which should reference the file you added in creature_editor_palette_pages~ in its palettePalettePages property. Also, you're overriding a base game item list. Never do that. Also there's a typo in your icon's name - "gorggles" instead of "groggles" :lol:

I've got the project set up to display the part on its own page for you, but your rw4 model doesn't appear ingame and I can't seem to import it into Blender, so that needs fixing...if you could send over the original Blend file (and accompanying textures and such, if any), I'd be happy to take a look and see what's wrong with it.

ThatDaisy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postby ThatDaisy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:40 pm

Here is my model

ThatDaisy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postby ThatDaisy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:03 pm

rob55rod wrote:You only have an item list. You need a page in creature_editor_palette_pages~ , and the filename of this page should be used as the value of the palettePagePartParentPage property in the item list. Once that's done, you'll need to add a file in creature_editor_palette~ , which should reference the file you added in creature_editor_palette_pages~ in its palettePalettePages property. Also, you're overriding a base game item list. Never do that. Also there's a typo in your icon's name - "gorggles" instead of "groggles" :lol:

I've got the project set up to display the part on its own page for you, but your rw4 model doesn't appear ingame and I can't seem to import it into Blender, so that needs fixing...if you could send over the original Blend file (and accompanying textures and such, if any), I'd be happy to take a look and see what's wrong with it.

I got the palette item showing and all that but, it doesn't have an icon or a name. What do I do to fix this?

rob55rod
Tech Support
Tech Support

Unread postby rob55rod » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:40 pm

For the icon, fix the typo I mentioned. For the name, add a locale~ file with a string containing the part's name and point the blockName property to that.

ThatDaisy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postby ThatDaisy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:50 pm

rob55rod wrote:For the icon, fix the typo I mentioned. For the name, add a locale~ file with a string containing the part's name and point the blockName property to that.

If you're referring to a folder called locale~ I don't have one. Is there a package I don't have unpacked? Also, I fixed the type but, there is still no icon.

rob55rod
Tech Support
Tech Support

Unread postby rob55rod » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:17 pm

ThatDemonDavid wrote:
rob55rod wrote:For the icon, fix the typo I mentioned. For the name, add a locale~ file with a string containing the part's name and point the blockName property to that.

If you're referring to a folder called locale~ I don't have one. Is there a package I don't have unpacked? Also, I fixed the type but, there is still no icon.

No, you just have to create the folder and a .locale file inside of it. And uhh...not really sure about the icon, fixing the typo worked for me...double-check the spelling again, I guess...?

ThatDaisy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postby ThatDaisy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:35 am

Icon and stuff fixed for me. It's showing in the palette with an icon but, the model isn't working. When I export it I get the error in blender "Error: unshort format requires 0 <= number <=0xffff" At this point, I'm pretty sure it's a model problem because I have made a couple other fully functional custom parts but, this one isn't working.

Return to “Mod Discussion”