Try these... FIRST!

http://www.davoonline.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=6
Poster of the New User Apocalypse

lordelysian

Exporting Non-creature models?

Unread post #1 by lordelysian » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Hello,

So I've recently gotten into the Spore modding scene by using some of your guys' custom parts for creatures. I was wondering though, if there was some way to be able to export UFO or building models from Spore with the use of mods, and I haven't been able to find anything. I don't have any intention of making my own parts using Maya/Blender and putting those into the game, I just want to be able to export the models of my creations to Maya. I've looked at a good majority of stuff on SporeMaster and SporeModder and it looked like most of the tutorials and info on those tools was just for making custom parts and packing that into a mod. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Private

Private

Mx3
Zodiac: Aquarius

Re: Exporting Non-creature models?

Unread post #2 by Mx3 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:38 am

There is a way to do it, but it is not 100% effective.
By unpacking the GraphicsCache.package file you can find the models of the latest creations loaded and visualized in the game.
With the importers of SporeModder you can pass them to Blender.
However, some creations will have poor quality and other bugs.

Some examples:
https://sketchfab.com/models/2866046d55 ... 0474c6c7c7
https://sketchfab.com/models/0a75f4a679 ... 65f2856f08

Tech Support

Tech Support

rob55rod

Unread post #3 by rob55rod » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:52 am

Mx3 wrote:There is a way to do it, but it is not 100% effective.
By unpacking the GraphicsCache.package file you can find the models of the latest creations loaded and visualized in the game.

Which is preferable to colladaexport even for creatures, as you don't lose some parts' morphs that way O:

Mx3 wrote:However, some creations will have poor quality

That's only if you load the LOD1 or higher models for them, the LOD0 ones are pretty much on par with the in-editor models.

Mx3 wrote:and other bugs.

Wait wat

WOAH NICE EXAMPLES

lordelysian

Unread post #4 by lordelysian » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:21 am

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Just a couple of follow-up questions. Where's the GraphicsCache.package? I looked in the Spore Data folder and it isn't there. Second, do I have to use Blender, as in, are the exported models only compatible with Blender?

Tech Support

Tech Support

rob55rod

Unread post #5 by rob55rod » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:31 am

lordelysian wrote:

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Just a couple of follow-up questions. Where's the GraphicsCache.package? I looked in the Spore Data folder and it isn't there.

That's because it's not a mod or core game package, it's a save data package. You can find it at

Code: Select all

%appdata%\SPORE
, but be sure you've recently viewed the desired creations in the Sporepedia, to make sure there are cached models available for extraction.

lordelysian wrote:Second, do I have to use Blender, as in, are the exported models only compatible with Blender?

Yes, you have to use Blender. The GMDL models present in those packages are in a proprietary format, and thus aren't compatible with anything natively (other than SpView, which was made specifically for them). The only addon created for any popular application is Emd's SporeModder Blender addon, which is only available for Blender, obviously. Of course, nobody's stopping you from exporting the models from Blender into a format your preferred application can import... :lol:

Return to “Mod Discussion”