How should I rig something so it both animates in the game but also allows morphs in the creature editor?

The place for mod discussions and seeking out information about Spore modding.
Forum rules
Can't get a mod to work?
Try these... FIRST!

http://www.davoonline.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=6
PixelLove
Cell
Cell

How should I rig something so it both animates in the game but also allows morphs in the creature editor?

Unread post by PixelLove »

I have a foot I'm designing in blender and I'm just about ready to rig it. But, I figured that to make it truly suitable for spore that I should include morph options to change the shape and size in the creature editor. Most of what I want to change is just the length of the claws and toe length, but claws aren't really something that "move," they're just stuck on the end of a tow and move wherever the toe goes, so there's no point adding an extra bone for them...or is there?
I'm really just not sure how I should rig something for spore so it has both it's own idle animation and its own morph animation specifically for editing, because I don't know if feet even have an idle animation. Do they have one or is the only thing they do is stick on end of the leg and thus I only need to rig something for morphing purposes in the editor?

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: How should I rig something so it both animates in the game but also allows morphs in the creature editor?

Unread post by rob55rod »

Part models don't have idle animations. Feet do, however, have an animation for bending as the creature walks, so...there's that. No idea what the hash is for that animation though. (Good news though: that animation is optional...heck, limbs are the only type of model which needs any kind of animation, one for changing length, but even then, the animation doesn't have to do anything besides exist :lol: )
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
PixelLove
Cell
Cell

Re: How should I rig something so it both animates in the game but also allows morphs in the creature editor?

Unread post by PixelLove »

rob55rod wrote:Part models don't have idle animations. Feet do, however, have an animation for bending as the creature walks, so...there's that. No idea what the hash is for that animation though. (Good news though: that animation is optional...heck, limbs are the only type of model which needs any kind of animation, one for changing length, but even then, the animation doesn't have to do anything besides exist :lol: )
Well, I mean for instance you can clearly see that hands have an idle animation in the creature editor. When the creature just stands there, you can see the hands closing and opening a little bit over like 30-60 frames as the creature slowly bobs up and down.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unread post by rob55rod »

PixelLove wrote:
rob55rod wrote:Part models don't have idle animations. Feet do, however, have an animation for bending as the creature walks, so...there's that. No idea what the hash is for that animation though. (Good news though: that animation is optional...heck, limbs are the only type of model which needs any kind of animation, one for changing length, but even then, the animation doesn't have to do anything besides exist :lol: )
Well, I mean for instance you can clearly see that hands have an idle animation in the creature editor. When the creature just stands there, you can see the hands closing and opening a little bit over like 30-60 frames as the creature slowly bobs up and down.
...sorry, I meant no dedicated idle animations. That's just a few frames of the open/close animation played back and forth repeatedly. Spore is weird about recycling animations...
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mod Discussion”