Anyone wanna work with me to create a new set of public/custom parts?

The place for mod discussions and seeking out information about Spore modding.
Forum rules
Can't get a mod to work?
Try these... FIRST!

http://www.davoonline.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=6
PixelLove
Cell
Cell

Anyone wanna work with me to create a new set of public/custom parts?

Unread post by PixelLove »

I do 3D modeling for engineering purposes, but I was glancing over my old games and I found one of my favorites: you guessed it. I remember that I really liked how (almost) smoothly dark spore injection installed and doubled or trippled the amount of parts available, so I thought something fun to work on in the free time would be new parts for the community!
In my own software I can create a mesh from scratch, rig it and animate it for grabbing or running or anything else, and I have 10GB of exotic tileable photoshop textures I made myself. However, I have no idea how to inject (hahahaha) any custom part into the spore game, much less wrap it as some arena package for just anyone to use. How do I go from a rigged part in some 3D software to a playable part in the game?

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: Anyone wanna work with me to create a new set of public/custom parts?

Unread post by rob55rod »

Are you asking for someone to get the parts into the game for you, or are you asking for help figuring out how to do so yourself?
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
PixelLove
Cell
Cell

rob55rod wrote:Are you asking for someone to get the parts into the game for you, or are you asking for help figuring out how to do so yourself?
Either
emd
Admin
Admin

Unread post by emd »

Here there's a tutorial about it, although it only explains the Blender part; you'd still be missing how to create the package, but I hope someone else can help in that.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5868
Spore Modding Tools:
[list]
[*] SporeModder FX
[*] SporeModder Blender Addons
[*] Spore ModAPI SDK[/list]
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

PixelLove wrote:
rob55rod wrote:Are you asking for someone to get the parts into the game for you, or are you asking for help figuring out how to do so yourself?
Either
You know what they say...
They wrote:Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life...or atleast until he dies of mercury poisoning.
Find me on Steam or Skype, whichever you prefer, and we'll discuss matters further there.

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
PixelLove
Cell
Cell

[Deleted]
Last edited by PixelLove on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PixelLove
Cell
Cell

PixelLove wrote:
rob55rod wrote:
PixelLove wrote: Either
They wrote:Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life...or atleast until he dies of mercury poisoning.
Find me on Steam or Skype, whichever you prefer, and we'll discuss matters further there.
Yeah I don't really appreciate being demeaned like I'm some pestilent child when I'm trying to do something cool for a lot of people (called a collaboration, I am not beseeching you for anything, it is two people who mutually agree to something), so if that's the state of the community then I think I'll pass and get back to designing machines.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

PixelLove wrote:
rob55rod wrote:
PixelLove wrote: Either
Yeah I don't really appreciate being demeaned like I'm some pestilent child when I'm trying to do something cool for a lot of people (called a collaboration, I am not beseeching you for anything, it is two people who mutually agree to something), so if that's the state of the community then I think I'll pass and get back to designing machines and running my 5 star business.
Wow. That was completely un-called for. I was all ready to try to reach you how to do this and that's how you respond? Geez...

...and how was I "demeaning" you? .-.

The state of the community is "we desperately need more mod developers and I want to do whatever I can to help aspiring mod developers get started".

I get the feeling there's been some kind of misunderstanding here...

PixelLove
Cell
Cell

rob55rod wrote:
PixelLove wrote:
rob55rod wrote: Wow. That was completely un-called for..
What's uncalled for is when you disrespect a random person you've never met. Give a man a fish? That's so condescending for someone who just said they would make models, rig them, animate them and texture them for free, that's a line you give to someone who's been lazily mooching off of you. I'm not some homeless deadbeat who's been constantly pestering this website for anything, this is the first time I've been here and I was looking for a reasonable collaboration.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

PixelLove wrote:What's uncalled for is when you disrespect a random person you've never met. Give a man a fish? That's so condescending for someone who just said they would make models, rig them, animate them and texture them for free, that's a line you give to someone who's been lazily mooching off of you. I'm not some homeless deadbeat who's been constantly pestering this website for anything, this is the first time I've been here and I was looking for a reasonable collaboration.
A reasonable collaboration is exactly what I want to give you. I apologize if what I said offended you, that wasn't my intention in the slightest. My use of that phrase was meant solely to express that I was planning on trying to teach you to get your models into the game yourself, rather than doing it for you. Nothing more. I apologize if that came across as rude or condescending. Not my intention at all. I'm still prepared to help, if you're still interested.

My god that did not go across at all as intended...I don't know what you've learned that phrase to mean, but I learned it to be a metaphor to describe why it's better to teach someone to do something than to do it for them. I'm so sorry... D:

PixelLove
Cell
Cell

Steam isn't letting me add you, so you can add me at Chenjesu or the account name Melenorme. I'm not optimistic though, you're not doing anything "for me" you're doing it for the community because it's unrealistic to expect to pump out a wide variety of parts if there's only one person doing all the work. I'll do everything myself, but don't expect anything to happen in a timely manner. I'm downloading sporemaster and ogre and all the other stuff I'm suppose to need.
I want to make sure of something else too because I might use some of my stock models: does using any model I made myself for a Spore mod entitle EA to steal it via their user agreement? Because when I read it, it said any mods belonged to EA games but then said that modding it doesn't affiliate the user with EA in any way, which should mean I retain the rights to the content, yet it already explicitly stated I lose nearly all rights to it.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

PixelLove wrote:Steam isn't letting me add you, so you can add me at Chenjesu or the account name Melenorme.
Really? Strange.
EDIT: Found a handful of Chenjesus, not sure which is the right one...can I get a link to your page? (Melenorme didn't yield any results)
PixelLove wrote:I'm downloading sporemaster and ogre and all the other stuff I'm suppose to need.
Wat no
Wrong tutorial
All you need is SporeModder, the SporeModder Blender addons, and the latest version of Blender.
PixelLove wrote:I want to make sure of something else too because I might use some of my stock models: does using any model I made myself for a Spore mod entitle EA to steal it via their user agreement? Because when I read it, it said any mods belonged to EA games but then said that modding it doesn't affiliate the user with EA in any way, which should mean I retain the rights to the content, yet it already explicitly stated I lose nearly all rights to it.
Wow...good question O.o
I don't actually know...I would assume that you'd own your mods, as otherwise the EULA would cause EA to be in violation of it as soon as anyone mods the game (not to mention the few official mods that exist), but I'm no lawyer, so I can't exactly say for sure.

PixelLove
Cell
Cell

Alright, and for the UV maps, does it need to be that really basic smoothly connected UV map like in the tutorial or can I define the seams and have different parts scattered about? As far as I know, Spore uses a package file format to install new parts, but I do not see the addon exporting as a package but as something else.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

...okay, I guess we're going to do this here, not on Steam. Works for me :lol:
PixelLove wrote:Alright, and for the UV maps, does it need to be that really basic smoothly connected UV map like in the tutorial or can I define the seams and have different parts scattered about?
Not at all, the method shown in the tutorial was just an example. Any models you've made in advance should work, provided they don't have any vertices weighted to more than four bones.
PixelLove wrote:As far as I know, Spore uses a package file format to install new parts
Loosely speaking, yes. Package files are, to put it in a nutshell, a type of archive, akin to ZIP or RAR in purpose.
PixelLove wrote:but I do not see the addon exporting as a package but as something else.
Yes, a rw4 model, which is only one piece of a part mod. Here's a list of all the things you'll need for one part:

- rw4 model
- rw4 diffuse texture (fixed colour) [optional]
- rw4 specBump texture (weird combined specular/bumpmap texture thingy) [optional]
- rw4 tintMask texture (for skinpaint colours, red = base colour, green = coat colour, blue = detail colour) [optional]
- PNG icon for your part [optional]
- PROP file for the part (defines things such as name, abilities, part type, symmetry pairs, etc.)
- PROP file containing a list of all the parts on your page
- PROP file for the page itself
- PROP file containing a list of all of your pages
- PROP file for your custom category [optional]

...if you need to see how it's all laid out, I'd recommend tearing open an existing part mod, if that helps. Strange and Beautiful is a good example.

PixelLove
Cell
Cell

[Deleted] Why is there not a simple delete button for users?
Last edited by PixelLove on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PixelLove
Cell
Cell

For some reason the page that had all the information I was looking for somehow vanished from the website. It had nearly all the instructions but now there's just a mostly vague page that only gives the basic installation process. I have no idea how to make it so that a model has those morph arrows in the creature editor, there's no info in the drastically less detailed page. Also, why are there 3-4 different threads just about the spore modder started by Emd? That's really confusing, there should just be one master thread.
Last edited by PixelLove on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PixelLove
Cell
Cell

Another thing too: how does the game smooth the models? Because in blender, I can subdivide the surface a few times to make something look smooth like it does in the game, or I can use the "smooth shading" option in object view. Will spore automatically apply its own smooth shading or do I need to subdivide something a bunch of times to make it smooth?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

PixelLove wrote:[Deleted] Why is there not a simple delete button for users?
There is, it's the one with an "X" on it.
PixelLove wrote:For some reason the page that had all the information I was looking for somehow vanished from the website. It had nearly all the instructions but now there's just a mostly vague page that only gives the basic installation process. I have no idea how to make it so that a model has those morph arrows in the creature editor, there's no info in the drastically less detailed page.
This is the only SporeModder-related tutorial I know of, and it covers morph handles.
PixelLove wrote:Also, why are there 3-4 different threads just about the spore modder started by Emd? That's really confusing, there should just be one master thread.
Agreed...this is what happens when things like these are spread out over several years. Same thing happened to Dark Injection, though in that case it's also due to the way the mod has played a very slow game of musical developers over the years.
PixelLove wrote:Another thing too: how does the game smooth the models? Because in blender, I can subdivide the surface a few times to make something look smooth like it does in the game, or I can use the "smooth shading" option in object view. Will spore automatically apply its own smooth shading or do I need to subdivide something a bunch of times to make it smooth?
Spore smooths models automatically.

PixelLove
Cell
Cell

Alright that's what I needed, thanks.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

PixelLove wrote:Alright that's what I needed, thanks.
Alright, well if there's anything else you need, I'm still here :mrgreen:

...I'm really excited to see what will come of this project :V

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mod Discussion”