I just wanted people to know that I'm an idiot.

The place for mod discussions and seeking out information about Spore modding.
Forum rules
Can't get a mod to work?
Try these... FIRST!

http://www.davoonline.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=6
Flint_A
Hatchling
Hatchling

I just wanted people to know that I'm an idiot.

Unread post by Flint_A »

I checked all the instructions. I installed the games in the correct order.(Spore, then GA, no others.) I did not patch, as Steam should be automatically patched.

I checked online to see whether Platinum Spore and Dark Injection would work together. I heard promising things.

I installed Platinum Spore. I checked whether it worked, it did.

I installed Dark Injection. I double-checked to see whether I had installed it correctly. Then I checked whether it worked. All was fine.

I created a creature. Obviously, I could not save it. I did not worry. I looked around online, found Davo's easy fix.(Editing config rather than installing anything else.) Accidentally did it to original Spore's files, so still couldn't save. Realized my mistake, fixed it, tried again...and I could save! Hurray!

Then I looked up the cheats and used evoadvantage to use my new creature in the creature mode. OH NO! I COULDN'T! I rushed to the board to make a thread complaining that it didn't work! BOO!

...Then I calmed down. I decided to try again, just in case I did something wrong. First I checked, my creature was there. Then I went back to picking a stage...and I realized my mistake.

My creature had an omnivore mouth, yet I was picking carnivore because that was on my mind.(I was planning to use "setconsequencetrait cell_carnivore".) That's why it wasn't appearing. I picked omnivore, now I'm happily playing with no problems.

The point of the story is, you can be very diligent and yet still end up making a moronic mistake like this. At the end of the day, any problem is probably user error rather than the developer sucking at making mods.

As a long time modder, I figured the developers here must be sick and tired of people screaming "OMG IT NO WORK Y" so I just thought this post might be appreciated.

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: I just wanted people to know that I'm an idiot.

Unread post by rob55rod »

Flint_A wrote:the developers here must be sick and tired of people screaming "OMG IT NO WORK Y" so I just thought this post might be appreciated.
YES
THANK YOU.
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW SICK AND TIRED I AM OF HELPING USERS WITH PROBLEMS ON THEIR END.
I mean, I'm happy to help, but it gets really freaking annoying to the point that I've basically become the official "ID-10T" and "5TEAM" problem handler.
Flint_A wrote:you can be very diligent and yet still end up making a moronic mistake like this.
Yeah xD
Happens during development too! I'll never forget the time I wasted 3 hours trying to get a part to show up in a palette, only then to realize that I'd forgotten to add it to the palette_items list.
Flint_A wrote:At the end of the day, any problem is probably user error rather than the developer sucking at making mods.
Somebody stick this into that "Davoonline" banner at the top of every page, please.
Flint_A wrote:long time modder
Long time...Spore...modder?
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Flint_A
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Flint_A »

No, no, this is my first time even using mods for Spore, and frankly I haven't played the vanilla that much either. Space scares me. But human behavior is pretty much the same everywhere.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Flint_A wrote:No, no, this is my first time even using mods for Spore, and frankly I haven't played the vanilla that much either. Space scares me. But human behavior is pretty much the same everywhere.
True, people will be people. Just remember...In Space, Noone Can Hear you Scream xD

So...what game(s) were you referring to, that you've been using (or making? IDK) mods for? I gotta say, Spore mod development is pretty easy to start doing, compared to most other games, in my opinion.

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Flint_A
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Flint_A »

Oh, I'm not much of a maker. I've only made mods for small, simple games like Democracy and a couple of old games, or maps for WarCraft, StarCraft, etc. I've also worked as a developer on a browser game(Heroes of Ardania), but it's been quite some time since I touched any code. Code's all I've got though, I am completely clueless when it comes to anything involving textures.

I've spent a good deal of time being a tester though, especially for Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines. Great game, but so many bugs in vanilla. As for just using mods...well, most recently, Warlords Battlecry III. Before that, KotOR I&II...I'm sure there's a lot more, but none spring to mind at the moment.

See, I'm a good tester because I have a natural ability to somehow break everything I touch.(Unfortunately, this goes for real life too.) So if a bug can happen, it will happen to me.

For example, I've just managed to extinguish every other creature in Creature Stage and now I'm starving to death and can't progress because there's nothing to eat.(For some reason, no plants either.) Woo. So close, too, I had almost made it this time.(It's the second time this is happening.)

Eh, I'll just start at the tribal stage and use SetConsequenceTrait. I played almost to the end twice, I earned it.

...Also it takes a damn long time to starve.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Flint_A wrote:Oh, I'm not much of a maker. I've only made mods for small, simple games like Democracy and a couple of old games, or maps for WarCraft, StarCraft, etc. I've also worked as a developer on a browser game(Heroes of Ardania), but it's been quite some time since I touched any code. Code's all I've got though, I am completely clueless when it comes to anything involving textures.

I've spent a good deal of time being a tester though, especially for Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines. Great game, but so many bugs in vanilla. As for just using mods...well, most recently, Warlords Battlecry III. Before that, KotOR I&II...I'm sure there's a lot more, but none spring to mind at the moment.

See, I'm a good tester because I have a natural ability to somehow break everything I touch.(Unfortunately, this goes for real life too.) So if a bug can happen, it will happen to me.

For example, I've just managed to extinguish every other creature in Creature Stage and now I'm starving to death and can't progress because there's nothing to eat.(For some reason, no plants either.) Woo. So close, too, I had almost made it this time.(It's the second time this is happening.)

Eh, I'll just start at the tribal stage and use SetConsequenceTrait. I played almost to the end twice, I earned it.

...Also it takes a damn long time to starve.
Modding Spore is largely XML. I suck at textures too, but I didn't let that get in my way. The only thing stopping you is...well...you. Whether you believe you can, or you believe you can't, you're probably right. So if you want to start modding Spore, and you convince yourself that you can, you will. Take it from me, that's how I got started, and look where it's gotten me! No really, look:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf25siu2zcE[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGFey9AphIM[/youtube]
All it takes is effort, dedication, and perseverance (though a little instinct or previous experience with XML helps, the latter of which I completely lacked when I started). If you want to mod Spore, just download SporeMaster, unpack some of Spore's files, and mess around to your heart's content (or as close as you can get)! If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll try to help you out.

Look, I don't want to push you somewhere you don't want to go, so if you actually have no interest in taking command of the game, then I'll shut up about it.

Also, did you say you have experience mapping for StarCraft 2? Or was it StarCraft 1? (I used to make ridiculous custom units and structures and such for StarCraft 2 with the editor, so if you've done anything of the sort...)

Flint_A
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Flint_A »

I'm not against modding Spore, certainly, but I definitely don't have any time to spare at the moment. Perhaps in the summer. I'll let you know if I start to dabble. I'm not too experienced with XML, but I've poked around before and it didn't seem very hard.

StarCraft I, I'm afraid. I still haven't even bought SCII, it's too expensive, and I can't bring myself to pirate it because I really do want to buy it. Played a little on a friend's account though, and I loved it. I'm sure the editor is great, because the editor for the first game was AMAZING for its time. I remember trying to make maps for Age of Empires I back in the day...those are not pleasant memories.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Flint_A wrote:I'm not against modding Spore, certainly, but I definitely don't have any time to spare at the moment. Perhaps in the summer. I'll let you know if I start to dabble. I'm not too experienced with XML, but I've poked around before and it didn't seem very hard.

StarCraft I, I'm afraid. I still haven't even bought SCII, it's too expensive, and I can't bring myself to pirate it because I really do want to buy it. Played a little on a friend's account though, and I loved it. I'm sure the editor is great, because the editor for the first game was AMAZING for its time. I remember trying to make maps for Age of Empires I back in the day...those are not pleasant memories.
Oh, okay. Best of luck when you get a chance to play around with SporeMaster (unless SporeModder comes out by then, in which case don't bother with SporeMaster!).

Good move not pirating it. The editor is basically the game engine, in a manner of speaking. What can't you do with it, you may ask? Well, apparently you can't import Spore Creatures (unless I did it wrong, which is probably what happened when I tried), but other than that, you can do almost anything!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mod Discussion”