Anyone want to make Spore 2?

Looking to just have a conversation about Spore? Come join in on the many topics or start a new one!
Arilou
Hatchling
Hatchling

Anyone want to make Spore 2?

Unread post by Arilou »

Sorry if this isn't the right topic for this thread.

But anyway, I'm not trying to sound preachy or repetitive, but like many, I was wondering when a Spore 2 would ever get made. I saw a game project in its microbial stage that seemed promising, but I've seen plenty of indie projects fail too. Looking around on its forums and chat, while the concept is interesting and it has a small amount of pro support, it has more "ideas" than it knows what to do with even to begin with. I have to be realistic and come to the conclusion that this project is very disorganized, makes irrational decisions, too realistic where it doesn't need be in a way that dissatisfies players, and unrealistic where it shouldn't be and then has this weird tendency where the people running the project seem to lie about integrating player suggestions without even explaining anything. Initially I was excited for the project, but now, I don't have much hope for it and don't think it is worth my time and effort.

With that said, I know the Evolution project, started on kickstarter and then released on Steam didn't turn out so well. But still, I continue to be creatively enthusiastic with graphics, animation, music and sound effects and want to see what is available.

So, what are the projects or teams that can bring the Spore 2 that people want?

Rhinlord
Cell
Cell

Re: Anyone want to make Spore 2?

Unread post by Rhinlord »

While a Spore 2 would be awesome, I don't believe we will ever really get one. Like you said, teams working on something similar are extremely disorganized and rarely produce any results. Those Indie games seem to fail so there might not be a interest with the general public.
"I'm not angry because you wronged me. I'm angry because I cannot trust you anymore." ~Spode
Arilou
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Arilou »

Rhinlord wrote:Like you said, teams working on something similar are extremely disorganized and rarely produce any results.
That is true, but I have also found it is only true because of one of two reasons:
A: teams tend to be small, which makes production much less feasible:

B: even "professionals" don't take many issues seriously. They get so caught up in the creature design or engine that they neglect all other aspects and don't take the time to plan ahead, which means it is just a matter of acknowledging the logistics of a project or that every part is important. I mean this project didn't even have a formal organization like an LLC or non-profit or anything, so anyone who simply fills out a single piece of paper will already be ahead of them in some way.

What comes down to is at least having people who are willing to carry out this grunt and detail work if a majority of the team doesn't.
Last edited by Arilou on Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rhinlord
Cell
Cell

Like I said, I don't believe there is enough interest in the general public to warrant such a game. We would love to see it but I just do not think it is feasible.
"I'm not angry because you wronged me. I'm angry because I cannot trust you anymore." ~Spode
Arilou
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Arilou »

Rhinlord wrote:Like I said, I don't believe there is enough interest in the general public to warrant such a game. We would love to see it but I just do not think it is feasible.
Sorry but when I read that, it doesn't quite make sense to me. When Spore was released, it was a gigantic hit, I remember people talking about it before it was even released. If you look on youtube, there's plenty of videos that talk about possible Spore 2 and plenty of people who ask about why there isn't a Spore 2 yet, and then there's even people who are trying to make a Spore 2, albeit unprofessionally.

EA messed up with Darkspore because it's very easy to see that it was made simply to be addictive rather than provide creative freedom, I think that's where people got turned off and that isn't to say people wouldn't want to see an actual Spore 2. In fact I'm pretty sure Sporepedia and the Sporums are still active.
This is beside the fact that many other simulation and creation games have been successful, especially on Steam.
Last edited by Arilou on Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhinlord
Cell
Cell

I concede the point as I haven't truly been looking. A spore sequel would be amazing;however, I'm not sure a major game company would make the game. Most gaming companies are American or their main audience is American and with Political Correctness as ingrained as it is they might be too afraid religious people will not buy it as it features evolution. Indie games don't have this problem as much because they are smaller.

<Please note the idle ramblings of an uninformed individual>
Arilou
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Arilou »

Rhinlord wrote:I concede the point as I haven't truly been looking. A spore sequel would be amazing;however, I'm not sure a major game company would make the game. Most gaming companies are American or their main audience is American and with Political Correctness as ingrained as it is they might be too afraid religious people will not buy it as it features evolution. Indie games don't have this problem as much because they are smaller.

<Please note the idle ramblings of an uninformed individual>
From my research, the problem tends to be the opposite in some sense when you say they're afraid religious people won't buy it, but I think your point about being American is closer to a more formal recognition of the issue.

Different broader ethnic and religious groups tend not to buy as much into simulation or scifi/fantasy games because those games are constructed with the same tendencies of the European scientific and academic community that has, in the past, discriminated against people based on their race, gender, orientation, social class, religion and even more arbitrary standards.
When people see a model civilization in Spore that mimics what was imposed on their culture when colonial influences oppressed their ancestors or that mimics the system that causes the problems they face today, it can be a turn-off from the game, and it's more often that the gaming industry lacks that kind of social awareness.
Spore 2 can address this problem by letting players develop their own organisms, behaviors and societies that are not confined to the specific Westernized styles we see today without propping up any particular one on a pedestal. It would have to illustrate that it can account for diversity without pandering stereo-typically with things like Egyptian pyramids and Hindu 4-armed gods and so on.
What is also just as important to realize is that this issue isn't even limited to broader ethnicities in the first place; there are plenty of Caucasian males within Westernized societies who have been subject to aspects of their culture or government that they dislike or find unappealing.

However, it is very easy to see that the majority of fantasy/scifi games tend to feature white males within European style housing and sci-fi concepts. Look at the cover images for Mass Effect 1, then 2, then also 3, then the cover image for Skyrim, then the cover image for Half-Life, then the cover image for Star Craft II, then look at this page on EA's website https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/. Notice anything similar about the majority characters (Deadspace also features the same kind of character)? It's more difficult for audiences to connect when the gaming industry itself doesn't provide characters that people of different backgrounds can more closely identify with, and it is clear the industry on average glorifies a single demographic more often than any other. But, considering how there are currently progressive movements throughout the world, it would be a positive thing for people of the majority class to see that diversity encouraged as well.
ervinjason
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by ervinjason »

I know these are spin-offs, but there was 2 other spore games.

Darkspore, which was an MMO that got shutdown, like Need for Speed World. - darkspore . com [remove space]

and Spore Hero, which is a Wii game. XD - www . spore . com/what/wii [remove spaces]

If you like the look of darkspore, I highly recommend downloading and installing the Spore mod, "Dark Injection" which gives the UI a darkspore style, and adds a ton of Darkspore parts to the creature creator.

I hope this will satisfy your want for more spore.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”