Part modeling guidelines?

Gresh1234
Poster of the New User Apocalypse

Part modeling guidelines?

Unread postby Gresh1234 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:22 am

Are there any creature/building/vehicle part modeling guidelines/tutorials regarding things like pivot points, poly limits, animations, morph handles and stuff alike? I think it'd be really useful information to share in the forum for contributors to upload models and/or fully fledged mods :roll:.
Amateur 3D artist reporting for duty!

Maybe 2D artist too...

Emd4600 [ASR]
Tech Support
Tech Support
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Part modeling guidelines?

Unread postby Emd4600 [ASR] » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:34 pm

For modelling itself there are no real guidelines, except keeping the polygon count not very high. This isn't a real problem, however, as retopology can be applied if needed. You should try to only use one object per model in creature parts, however. In the rest of models, the use of multiple objects if you need multiple textures is recommended; in fact, in building/vehicle parts, each object represents a paint region.

About UV mapping, there are three things to keep in mind:
- You can only use one texture per object.
- No UV coordinates should get off of the texture. Spore will only wrap the coordinates in the ditor; outside it, it can cause some texturing problems.
- Spore uses per-vertex UV, whereas Blender uses per-loop UV. That means that in Spore a vertex can only have one UV coordinate, whereas in Blender a single vertex can have multiple coordinates. Due to that, when exporting the model, vertices will get duplicated as many times as extra UV coordinates they have. Therefore, you should try to keep the number of "UV islands" to the minimum.

About animations and morph handles (since they are the same):
- You can only have one skeleton. Although all bone combinations can be used (I think), it's recomendable, to always have only one root bone, even if that bone doesn't have any vertices bound to it.
- A really important thing, bone weights should be Normalized. This means that in a vertex, the max number of bones it can be bound to is 4, and the sum of all bones must be 1. In Blender, you can do this with the Normalize All button, in the Weight paint mode.
- The last version of SporeModder only correctly supports exporting bones aligned in the +Y axis with no roll. That is, if you press N in blender while selecting a bone, you will see the bone's coordinates. The head's x and z and the tail's x and z must be equal, the head's y must be smaller than the tails' y and the roll must be 0 (like here; it's also not recommended to connect bones.
He hope to fix that in future versions, however, so if you want you can use the skeleton as you prefer, and then we would convert it later.

About textures:
- Try to always use transparency in textures.
- Textures' dimensions should always be powers of two, like 128, 256, 512, 1024, etc. You can use rectangular textures, but their dimensions must follow that rule (512x1024, for example).

I think that's all. We appreciate your effort and enthusiasm :D

Gresh1234

Re: Part modeling guidelines?

Unread postby Gresh1234 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:06 pm

Well, that's some spooky stuff, but thanks for the information. I'm pretty sure I'll not be the only one who appreciates the effort you put into writing this up.

Sneak peek of what I'm working on right now:

Amateur 3D artist reporting for duty!

Maybe 2D artist too...

Return to “General Discussion”