x.Sporepedia !!!

Sven.Littkowski
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

x.Sporepedia !!!

Unread postby Sven.Littkowski » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi,

while the regular Sporepedia allows us to share regular creations, sharing modded creations is not possible. Thus, I would like to know, if you all would like a server where we can share our modded creations. Interested?

I have server space. If there is an interest in developing a new, uprising Sporepedia-alike x.Sporepedia website, please let me know. In this case, this project will require some website developers. I am one of them. For sure, the new x.Sporepedia will have a better design that the regular, aging Sporepedia. And it might even outlive it.

Features would be a PNG upload (with stating of the required mods), a mod library (inclusinve direct URLs), the display of all uploaded creations (regular and modded ones) for the download, detail view of a creation and all descriptions of it plus comments, and user pages, maybe even communication features (PMs and live chat if possible).

At the moment I am writing this, the regular Sporepedia is down. Maintenance works, they say.

I wonder, one day in the future when the regular Spore universe is dead, if a mod can change the upload and download address of the Spore game towards this website, or add it (double upload)..?
Share modded Spore things at: https://www.Facebook.com/groups/Spore.Game

rob55rod
Tech Support
Tech Support
Sergeant Major of the Davo Army

Re: x.Sporepedia !!!

Unread postby rob55rod » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:35 am

Uploading modded creations is semi-possible. They don't show up in the lists, but can be forcibly downloaded if present in an adventure, provided the receiving player has the necessary mods.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Let us know here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.

Sven.Littkowski
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postby Sven.Littkowski » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:40 pm

Not bad, I didn't know that. But still, no one can see them inside the regular Sporepedia, and that is why I want to create the x.Sporepedia. Do you think, this project could find support once well promoted?

Emd4600 [ASR]
Tech Support
Tech Support
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postby Emd4600 [ASR] » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:39 am

Sven.Littkowski wrote:Not bad, I didn't know that. But still, no one can see them inside the regular Sporepedia, and that is why I want to create the x.Sporepedia. Do you think, this project could find support once well promoted?

The problem is, how are you going to make it?

rob55rod
Tech Support
Tech Support

Unread postby rob55rod » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:28 am

Emd4600 [ASR] wrote:
Sven.Littkowski wrote:Not bad, I didn't know that. But still, no one can see them inside the regular Sporepedia, and that is why I want to create the x.Sporepedia. Do you think, this project could find support once well promoted?

The problem is, how are you going to make it?

Let him finish explaining the idea before you start challenging regarding a means to his end.

Yes, hence my initial efforts:
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Let us know here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.

Sven.Littkowski
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postby Sven.Littkowski » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:10 am

Just an upload form (info text and file), then a script that checks if the uploaded image is a PNG (everything else will be deleted). If PNG, info text goes into database with pointer towards image. That is the UPLOAD part.

The DOWNLOAD part (includes display, too) shows each uploaded image, similar to the existing Sporepedia. On click, additional info text is shown for the selected creation. The user can download that creation.

At the moment, upload and download are done through the web browser, not through the Spore game. If the upload address can be added to the Spore game through a mod, well, that would be fine and automate the things. But for now, initially just through the web browser. The user is responsible to follow upo the mod links in the mod library of the x.Sporepedia.

The layout will be dark and more professional than the regular Sporepedia. Black, gray shades and blue and cyan (or green) will be the colors of choice.

I could develop everything on my own, but I would be happy to have additional developers on board. And then, the project needs good promotion to become known and used by many.

Emd4600 [ASR]
Tech Support
Tech Support
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postby Emd4600 [ASR] » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:22 am

Sven.Littkowski wrote:Just an upload form (info text and file), then a script that checks if the uploaded image is a PNG (everything else will be deleted). If PNG, info text goes into database with pointer towards image. That is the UPLOAD part.

The DOWNLOAD part (includes display, too) shows each uploaded image, similar to the existing Sporepedia. On click, additional info text is shown for the selected creation. The user can download that creation.

At the moment, upload and download are done through the web browser, not through the Spore game. If the upload address can be added to the Spore game through a mod, well, that would be fine and automate the things. But for now, initially just through the web browser. The user is responsible to follow upo the mod links in the mod library of the x.Sporepedia.

The layout will be dark and more professional than the regular Sporepedia. Black, gray shades and blue and cyan (or green) will be the colors of choice.

I could develop everything on my own, but I would be happy to have additional developers on board. And then, the project needs good promotion to become known and used by many.

I thought you were talking about implemeting it like the original Sporepedia, uploading it from the game and such xD

Actually, SporeModder has implemented some kind of fake assetbrowser. It detects all the creations stored in the %appdata%/SPORE .packages and reads their metadata (name, author, description and such) to show them there. If you want, we could try to allow the user upload a creation to x.Sporepedia via the program, so it's faster than having to create an info text, use the browser, etc.

Sven.Littkowski
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postby Sven.Littkowski » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:10 am

Yes, that would be fine! It makes it much simpler.

But we also have to check the legal aspects, if the game is modified in a way that it uploads to an additional new address, or if it replaces the original address and uploads only to a new address. If there is legally no conflict, I would say, let's go ahead and implement the upload to the x.Sporepedia, otherwise we have to keep it separate. Even the name has to be checked legally, if there is no conflict. Probably "Sporepedia" has been legally protected. So let's search for alternate names. What about "Encyclopedia Galactica"? Or "Encyclopedia Universalis"? Or, if it should be only one single name, what about names such as "SMEncyclopedia", "Encyclopedia", or "Existence" (my favorite)?

Emd4600 [ASR]
Tech Support
Tech Support
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postby Emd4600 [ASR] » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:39 am

Sporepedia2 uses the word Sporepedia and we haven't been put in prison yet. Yet....

Anyways we don't know if we can redirect the game to connect to another server...

Sven.Littkowski
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postby Sven.Littkowski » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:37 pm

It might be possible, using maybe UltraEdit to find the URL string, and then changing that one. But I would prefer not to change the source code, as this is not the right way. If a mod can do this, it would be better.

It actually doesn't matter how uploading and downloading is being done, but we could start the project anyway as it will function in either way. Should we begin to promote it inside the Spore forums (or elsewhere) and get participants?

Return to “General Discussion”