Farewell, Maxis

User avatar
GBAura
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:24 am
Location: In a blackhole
Contact:

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby GBAura » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:49 pm

TheJo_Jo wrote:Can someone please tell me what this spore-like game was because i havent heard anything about spore or maxis since darkspore


I forgot about that game actually, but I'll try to recall from what I know since I can't find the thread anywhere on the forum. Apparently according to one of the people from Maxis (maybe Lucy, don't remember), there's a game in development that is kinda based on how Spore's online features works. It's not a sequel or a spin-off, it's a separate RPG-like game that is based on content sharing. Due to the shutdown by EA, the project may have been shelved.

However, there is some good news. One of the folks who worked on Spore Creature Creator actually made a simulation game called Earth Primer. It's more of an educational tool than a game, but it does have the science elements that Spore would've have at one point. Sadly, it's only available on iTunes and it isn't really a proper substitute for Spore, but it's worth a look!
Image

Ripper of Spore: Unofficial Galactic Score and... that's about it.

Meaningless Quote:

"Raggedy Ann scares me!"

User avatar
TheJo_Jo
Poster of the New User Apocalypse
Poster of the New User Apocalypse
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby TheJo_Jo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:06 pm

Thanks GBAura i just liked to know because maxis hasnt said anything since darkspore
The Jo-Joest one around :geek:

NyraNare
Poster of the New User Apocalypse
Poster of the New User Apocalypse
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:44 am

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby NyraNare » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:07 pm

:(
I can't believe EA would do this... Makes meh so saaaaaaaaad!

(You can still get it from online, I think)
(Also saw it in one of the walmarts recently.)

User avatar
rob55rod
Tech Support
Tech Support
Sergeant Major of the Davo Army
Sergeant Major of the Davo Army
Posts: 3883
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:50 am
Location: Zelem's Nexus, rebuilding.

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby rob55rod » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:10 pm

NyraNare wrote::(
I can't believe EA would do this... Makes meh so saaaaaaaaad!

(You can still get it from online, I think)
(Also saw it in one of the walmarts recently.)

Agreed :cry:

(Don't buy Spore on Steam)
(Stores are the best place to get it)
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Let us know here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.

Shark497
Poster of the New User Apocalypse
Poster of the New User Apocalypse
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby Shark497 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:06 am

Goodbye Maxis! *Salutes*

Tectatonic
Poster of the New User Apocalypse
Poster of the New User Apocalypse
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:37 am

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby Tectatonic » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:48 am

WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS???????? I LOVE SPORE! I know he said they would not shut Spore servers down, but no more spore-like things coming heart and true from the red-white and blue (Sorry anyone who is not in the U.S.A) of games! They can't just shut Maxis down like that... I am so sad!


I need some time to think... :oops: :oops: :oops: :twisted: :spore:

User avatar
CamBen
Tech Support
Tech Support
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 1353
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:26 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby CamBen » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:22 pm

To be fair there wasn't much new "coming heart and true" from maxis for a couple years now.
Spore is creative, even the mods and hacks.
Or, should I say, especially the mods and hacks?

Now currently making content for the Life is Strange and Portal communities. Check me out on YouTube

User avatar
MarioBabyLuigi
First Class
First Class
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby MarioBabyLuigi » Wed May 27, 2015 5:37 pm

I'm going to remain optimistic that one day, we'll get another game similar to Spore (preferably, Spore: Galactic Adventures) in spirit: the ability to create your own characters, props, and stories.

But Spore could've been a major cash cow. It's very sad to see what was once an indie developer go like this, though. :(

Farewell, Maxis.

User avatar
rob55rod
Tech Support
Tech Support
Sergeant Major of the Davo Army
Sergeant Major of the Davo Army
Posts: 3883
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:50 am
Location: Zelem's Nexus, rebuilding.

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby rob55rod » Wed May 27, 2015 5:42 pm

MarioBabyLuigi wrote:I'm going to remain optimistic that one day, we'll get another game similar to Spore (preferably, Spore: Galactic Adventures) in spirit: the ability to create your own characters, props, and stories.

But Spore could've been a major cash cow. It's very sad to see what was once an indie developer go like this, though. :(

Farewell, Maxis.

Maxis isn't out of business (yet), just their main studio. And given the recent failures of the Sims 4 and SimCity 2013, it seems Spore might be their last opportunity to pull themselves out of the hole they're currently stuck in...
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Let us know here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.

User avatar
TheJo_Jo
Poster of the New User Apocalypse
Poster of the New User Apocalypse
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby TheJo_Jo » Sun May 31, 2015 6:52 pm

rob55rod wrote:
MarioBabyLuigi wrote:I'm going to remain optimistic that one day, we'll get another game similar to Spore (preferably, Spore: Galactic Adventures) in spirit: the ability to create your own characters, props, and stories.

But Spore could've been a major cash cow. It's very sad to see what was once an indie developer go like this, though. :(

Farewell, Maxis.

Maxis isn't out of business (yet), just their main studio. And given the recent failures of the Sims 4 and SimCity 2013, it seems Spore might be their last opportunity to pull themselves out of the hole they're currently stuck in...


I think that the thing about Spore that made it so special and could help Maxis is that I've never seen any game like it and we can hope it stays that way so some other game isn't a ripoff and makes the company famous while Spore was there the entire time and it could've been big but EA just pulled the plug on it before it could get huge.
The Jo-Joest one around :geek:

User avatar
rob55rod
Tech Support
Tech Support
Sergeant Major of the Davo Army
Sergeant Major of the Davo Army
Posts: 3883
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:50 am
Location: Zelem's Nexus, rebuilding.

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby rob55rod » Sun May 31, 2015 7:04 pm

TheJo_Jo wrote:
rob55rod wrote:
MarioBabyLuigi wrote:I'm going to remain optimistic that one day, we'll get another game similar to Spore (preferably, Spore: Galactic Adventures) in spirit: the ability to create your own characters, props, and stories.

But Spore could've been a major cash cow. It's very sad to see what was once an indie developer go like this, though. :(

Farewell, Maxis.

Maxis isn't out of business (yet), just their main studio. And given the recent failures of the Sims 4 and SimCity 2013, it seems Spore might be their last opportunity to pull themselves out of the hole they're currently stuck in...


I think that the thing about Spore that made it so special and could help Maxis is that I've never seen any game like it and we can hope it stays that way so some other game isn't a ripoff and makes the company famous while Spore was there the entire time and it could've been big but EA just pulled the plug on it before it could get huge.

Yeah, it is a real shame :/

But, we can always hope :lol:
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Let us know here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.

User avatar
GBAura
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:24 am
Location: In a blackhole
Contact:

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby GBAura » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:23 pm

MarioBabyLuigi wrote:I'm going to remain optimistic that one day, we'll get another game similar to Spore (preferably, Spore: Galactic Adventures) in spirit: the ability to create your own characters, props, and stories.

But Spore could've been a major cash cow. It's very sad to see what was once an indie developer go like this, though. :(

Farewell, Maxis.


Well, there is a freeware game in development called Thrive which is supposed to follow in Spore's footsteps and achieve what the game could not do. So far they released the WIP of the Cell Stage, and it looked rather promising from what I've played. At least it was a sign that the Spore achieved an affectionate sequel.
Image

Ripper of Spore: Unofficial Galactic Score and... that's about it.

Meaningless Quote:

"Raggedy Ann scares me!"

User avatar
rob55rod
Tech Support
Tech Support
Sergeant Major of the Davo Army
Sergeant Major of the Davo Army
Posts: 3883
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:50 am
Location: Zelem's Nexus, rebuilding.

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby rob55rod » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:39 pm

TheJo_Jo wrote:Can someone please tell me what this spore-like game was because i havent heard anything about spore or maxis since darkspore

It's called Thrive. It isn't being made by EAxis. In fact, it isn't being made at all anymore, AFAIK. AFAIK it's kinda...dead.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Let us know here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.

User avatar
MarioBabyLuigi
First Class
First Class
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread postby MarioBabyLuigi » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:08 am

I would like a Spore on a similar scope to Galactic Adventures. Might be unpopular or not, but I'd prefer if they simply abandon the evolution system and focus and flesh out the creation of characters, buildings, vehicles, plants, props, scenery, so it's a unique genre of creation and exploring. Oh, and flesh out the combat as well, and buff the socializing aspects of it.

Oh, and give the game mod support. But of course!

But these are all pipe dreams. If there is a spiritual successor to Spore that does that, my heart will go out on it.


Return to “General Discussion”