Farewell, Maxis

Looking to just have a conversation about Spore? Come join in on the many topics or start a new one!
GBAura
Sentient
Sentient

Re: Farewell, Maxis

Unread post by GBAura »

TheJo_Jo wrote:Can someone please tell me what this spore-like game was because i havent heard anything about spore or maxis since darkspore
I forgot about that game actually, but I'll try to recall from what I know since I can't find the thread anywhere on the forum. Apparently according to one of the people from Maxis (maybe Lucy, don't remember), there's a game in development that is kinda based on how Spore's online features works. It's not a sequel or a spin-off, it's a separate RPG-like game that is based on content sharing. Due to the shutdown by EA, the project may have been shelved.

However, there is some good news. One of the folks who worked on Spore Creature Creator actually made a simulation game called Earth Primer. It's more of an educational tool than a game, but it does have the science elements that Spore would've have at one point. Sadly, it's only available on iTunes and it isn't really a proper substitute for Spore, but it's worth a look!
Ripper of Spore: Unofficial Galactic Score and... that's about it.

Need to download all the official Maxis and Robot Chicken Adventures? Click here!
TheJo_Jo
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by TheJo_Jo »

Thanks GBAura i just liked to know because maxis hasnt said anything since darkspore
The Jo-Joest one around :geek:
NyraNare
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by NyraNare »

:(
I can't believe EA would do this... Makes meh so saaaaaaaaad!

(You can still get it from online, I think)
(Also saw it in one of the walmarts recently.)
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unread post by rob55rod »

NyraNare wrote::(
I can't believe EA would do this... Makes meh so saaaaaaaaad!

(You can still get it from online, I think)
(Also saw it in one of the walmarts recently.)
Agreed :cry:

(Don't buy Spore on Steam)
(Stores are the best place to get it)
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Shark497
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Shark497 »

Goodbye Maxis! *Salutes*
Tectatonic
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Tectatonic »

WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS???????? I LOVE SPORE! I know he said they would not shut Spore servers down, but no more spore-like things coming heart and true from the red-white and blue (Sorry anyone who is not in the U.S.A) of games! They can't just shut Maxis down like that... I am so sad!

I need some time to think... :oops: :oops: :oops: :twisted: :spore:
Vallachan
Sentient
Sentient

Unread post by Vallachan »

To be fair there wasn't much new "coming heart and true" from maxis for a couple years now.
Spore is creative, even the mods and hacks.
Or, should I say, especially the mods and hacks?

Now currently making content for the Life is Strange and Portal communities. Check me out on YouTube
MarioBabyLuigi
Tribal
Tribal

Unread post by MarioBabyLuigi »

I'm going to remain optimistic that one day, we'll get another game similar to Spore (preferably, Spore: Galactic Adventures) in spirit: the ability to create your own characters, props, and stories.

But Spore could've been a major cash cow. It's very sad to see what was once an indie developer go like this, though. :(

Farewell, Maxis.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

MarioBabyLuigi wrote:I'm going to remain optimistic that one day, we'll get another game similar to Spore (preferably, Spore: Galactic Adventures) in spirit: the ability to create your own characters, props, and stories.

But Spore could've been a major cash cow. It's very sad to see what was once an indie developer go like this, though. :(

Farewell, Maxis.
Maxis isn't out of business (yet), just their main studio. And given the recent failures of the Sims 4 and SimCity 2013, it seems Spore might be their last opportunity to pull themselves out of the hole they're currently stuck in...

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
TheJo_Jo
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by TheJo_Jo »

rob55rod wrote:
MarioBabyLuigi wrote:I'm going to remain optimistic that one day, we'll get another game similar to Spore (preferably, Spore: Galactic Adventures) in spirit: the ability to create your own characters, props, and stories.

Farewell, Maxis.
Maxis isn't out of business (yet), just their main studio. And given the recent failures of the Sims 4 and SimCity 2013, it seems Spore might be their last opportunity to pull themselves out of the hole they're currently stuck in...
I think that the thing about Spore that made it so special and could help Maxis is that I've never seen any game like it and we can hope it stays that way so some other game isn't a ripoff and makes the company famous while Spore was there the entire time and it could've been big but EA just pulled the plug on it before it could get huge.
The Jo-Joest one around :geek:
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

TheJo_Jo wrote:
rob55rod wrote:

Farewell, Maxis.
I think that the thing about Spore that made it so special and could help Maxis is that I've never seen any game like it and we can hope it stays that way so some other game isn't a ripoff and makes the company famous while Spore was there the entire time and it could've been big but EA just pulled the plug on it before it could get huge.
Yeah, it is a real shame :/

But, we can always hope :lol:

GBAura
Sentient
Sentient

Unread post by GBAura »

Farewell, Maxis.
Well, there is a freeware game in development called Thrive which is supposed to follow in Spore's footsteps and achieve what the game could not do. So far they released the WIP of the Cell Stage, and it looked rather promising from what I've played. At least it was a sign that the Spore achieved an affectionate sequel.
Ripper of Spore: Unofficial Galactic Score and... that's about it.

Need to download all the official Maxis and Robot Chicken Adventures? Click here!
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

TheJo_Jo wrote:Can someone please tell me what this spore-like game was because i havent heard anything about spore or maxis since darkspore
It's called Thrive. It isn't being made by EAxis. In fact, it isn't being made at all anymore, AFAIK. AFAIK it's kinda...dead.

MarioBabyLuigi
Tribal
Tribal

Unread post by MarioBabyLuigi »

I would like a Spore on a similar scope to Galactic Adventures. Might be unpopular or not, but I'd prefer if they simply abandon the evolution system and focus and flesh out the creation of characters, buildings, vehicles, plants, props, scenery, so it's a unique genre of creation and exploring. Oh, and flesh out the combat as well, and buff the socializing aspects of it.

Oh, and give the game mod support. But of course!

But these are all pipe dreams. If there is a spiritual successor to Spore that does that, my heart will go out on it.

Return to “General Discussion”