SR:NS Editor UI Contest

You can find everything you need from tutorials to mods for Spore and Galactic Adventures. Hundreds of mods are stored here from the downfall of Sporedum.net, including a variety of mods that I have created. Also, you can discover ways to create creatures you thought were impossible using tutorials from DarkEdgeTV. If you need a place to store your mods, you've come to the right place!
Tech Support

Tech Support

Emd4600 [ASR]

SR:NS Editor UI Contest

Unread post #1 by Emd4600 [ASR] » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:03 pm

If you don't know about Spore Resurrection: Next Steps, you might want to take a look!
Welcome to the SRNS Editor UI contest!! At the SRSB, we’ve been facing some difficulties coming up with ideas for our UI now that we can change its structure, so we thought we’d ask you to help us, and what better way to do that than a contest? The winner’s* concept image will be used in the SRNS UI.

Here are the rules:
-Digital submissions must follow the SRNS UI style (for example, http://i.imgur.com/3g4smbE.png), non-digital submissions must try to emulate it. Note that artistic ability isn't really a factor.
-Submissions must be of 800x600, 1280x720, 1366x768, 1600x900 or 1920x1080 resolution
-Submissions must affect the ENTIRE editor UI, meaning everything you see in the editor
-Submissions must include separate images for build, paint, and test drive mode, though shared parts do not need to be included in all three
-Submissions must cover all functions provided by the standard editor UI
-Submissions may not include features not present in the standard editor UI

*We do not guarantee that a winner will be selected, nor that the results will be delivered immediately after the end of the contest.

Master Sergeant

Master Sergeant

Darhagonable
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: SR:NS Editor UI Contest

Unread post #2 by Darhagonable » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:52 pm

will the UI be in difernt colors?

so you want a conceptart with a new UI but a similar style to the UI you already have?

Tech Support

Tech Support

rob55rod

Unread post #3 by rob55rod » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Darhagonable wrote:will the UI be in difernt colors?

so you want a conceptart with a new UI but a similar style to the UI you already have?

Err...here's an example of the kind of stuff we're looking for:
The style is a bit outdated, but you get the point, right? (And yes, we did have some ideas of our own, we just didn't think they were good enough ._. )

Recruit

Recruit

TheKatsos

Unread post #4 by TheKatsos » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:34 pm

So, is there a place where I can get stock images of certain Icons? like the sporepedia icon, complexity meter, build/test/paint icons, or can i just leave those out?

Also, is this like giving the current UI a 'skin'?

Tech Support

Tech Support

rob55rod

Unread post #5 by rob55rod » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:42 pm

TheKatsos wrote:So, is there a place where I can get stock images of certain Icons? like the sporepedia icon, complexity meter, build/test/paint icons, or can i just leave those out?

Well, if you have the game installed, then...yes. Just look in the graphics_atlas~ folder.

TheKatsos wrote:Also, is this like giving the current UI a 'skin'?

Well, no. Giving the current UI a skin would be this:

What we're asking for is the reverse...a restructuring of the current UI, e.g. something more like this:
But in the CURRENT SRNS UI style, not this outdated version.

Recruit

Recruit

TheKatsos

Unread post #6 by TheKatsos » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:48 pm

Oh... so its just a "reconfiguring" of where things are placed? And what If I make a skin for the current one also?

Tech Support

Tech Support

rob55rod

Unread post #7 by rob55rod » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:23 pm

TheKatsos wrote:Oh... so its just a "reconfiguring" of where things are placed?

Yeah, pretty much :OD

(The reason this is worthy of a contest is because it wasn't even possible until recently)

TheKatsos wrote:And what If I make a skin for the current one also?

Well then it wouldn't really be the SRNS UI anymore, it'd be a separate UI mod...

Master Sergeant

Master Sergeant

Darhagonable

Unread post #8 by Darhagonable » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:38 pm

the only thing I would like is the part and paint menu to be smaller

Tech Support

Tech Support

rob55rod

Unread post #9 by rob55rod » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:55 pm

Darhagonable wrote:the only thing I would like is the part and paint menu to be smaller

Er...in that case, you might prefer Dark Injection 9.r 's UI:
:lol:

Master Sergeant

Master Sergeant

Darhagonable

Unread post #10 by Darhagonable » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:03 pm

rod55rob wrote:
Darhagonable wrote:the only thing I would like is the part and paint menu to be smaller

yeah true... tough I want this UI too

(BTW, lol if you want to see all the news you have to chack the whole website now xD)

Tech Support

Tech Support

rob55rod

Unread post #11 by rob55rod » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Darhagonable wrote:
rod55rob wrote:

yeah true... tough I want this UI too

(BTW, lol if you want to see all the news you have to chack the whole website now xD)

Wat

._.

Master Sergeant

Master Sergeant

Darhagonable

Unread post #12 by Darhagonable » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:20 pm

nevermind

Staff Sergeant

Staff Sergeant

Sven.Littkowski

Unread post #13 by Sven.Littkowski » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:23 pm

Now that you decoded the UI, let me ask you if you're also able now to resize some of its elements (like selectable body parts) and/or if you can re-position some of the UI elements to new locations. If so, I could really give you plenty of UIs!

Also, can you now create new editor environments (to replace that meadow)?
Share modded Spore things at: https://www.Facebook.com/groups/Spore.Game

Tech Support

Tech Support

rob55rod

Unread post #14 by rob55rod » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:30 pm

Sven.Littkowski wrote:Now that you decoded the UI, let me ask you if you're also able now to resize some of its elements (like selectable body parts) and/or if you can re-position some of the UI elements to new locations. If so, I could really give you plenty of UIs!

Also, can you now create new editor environments (to replace that meadow)?

To the first question, that's kinda the whole point of this contest :lol:

To the second, you tell me:

Staff Sergeant

Staff Sergeant

Sven.Littkowski

Unread post #15 by Sven.Littkowski » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:15 am

Okay, thanks. And very good! Means, I don't need to design a UI based on traditional layouts. And you also said, that the creature editor does not have that boring meadow design? Even better! Will start with my work.

Tech Support

Tech Support

rob55rod

Unread post #16 by rob55rod » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:44 am

Sven.Littkowski wrote:Okay, thanks. And very good! Means, I don't need to design a UI based on traditional layouts. And you also said, that the creature editor does not have that boring meadow design? Even better! Will start with my work.

:OD

Note that while for this contest, all UIs have to follow the SRNS UI cosmetic style, that doesn't mean you can't submit non-SRNS-styled UIs to the mod request section.

Staff Sergeant

Staff Sergeant

Sven.Littkowski

Unread post #17 by Sven.Littkowski » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:53 pm

Here my entry.

Explanations

For the colors of the "Planetar UI", I decided to use natural colors: brown sand and rock shades, and also gray rock color for text and signs and items.

The UI consists of a wide, large crater, and in the middle of the crater is the creature to be developed. You have noted, that the centre of the crater with the creature is towards the right side of the entire UI in order to prevent that figure parts become unreachable (because of interface items above it).

I also decided, to place all interface items on the left side, this way I gain a really large usable area for the creature development. Behind all those items, the crater lays in dark shadow - that makes it possible to see the gray item colors better. The shadow is achieved by placing a light source to the upper left side of the scene (not visible to the camera). This way you can rotate the camera view and see the crater and creature from all sides, but the shadows always remain behind the interface items as the light source is NOT moving.

Some of the interface items are resized, made a bit smaller. This is what makes it possible to put all items to the left side.
Feedback welcome.

Last edited by Sven.Littkowski on Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tech Support

Tech Support

rob55rod

Unread post #18 by rob55rod » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:29 pm

Sven.Littkowski wrote:Here my entry.

Explanations

For the colors of the "Planetar UI", I decided to use natural colors: brown sand and rock shades, and also gray rock color for text and signs and items.

The UI consists of a wide, large crater, and in the middle of the crater is the creature to be developed. You have noted, that the centre of the crater with the creature is towards the right side of the entire UI in order to prevent that figure parts become unreachable (because of interface items above it).

I also decided, to place all interface items on the left side, this way I gain a really large usable area for the creature development. Behind all those items, the crater lays in dark shadow - that makes it possible to see the gray item colors better. The shadow is achieved by placing a light source to the upper left side of the scene (not visible to the camera). This way you can rotate the camera view and see the crater and creature from all sides, but the shadows always remain behind the interface items as the light source is NOT moving.

Some of the interface items are resized, made a bit smaller. This is what makes it possible to put all items to the left side.
Feedback welcome.

Oh man...this is beautiful...

...and so it saddens me greatly to have to disqualify it for not following the SRNS UI style >.<

EDIT: You can still revise it to match the style and qualify, you want.

Staff Sergeant

Staff Sergeant

Sven.Littkowski

Unread post #19 by Sven.Littkowski » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:36 pm

No problem. I remember your words, that this still can qualify as mod proposal (even though I posted it here):
rod55rob wrote:Note that while for this contest, all UIs have to follow the SRNS UI cosmetic style, that doesn't mean you can't submit non-SRNS-styled UIs to the mod request section.

To make the UI more usable, there simply has to be a repositioning of the items. To me, it makes no sense, to use new colors but not to fix the limited usability of the original Spore UI. If we do something new, then let's make it better than the poor original. My way of thinking. :-)
Last edited by Sven.Littkowski on Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tech Support

Tech Support

rob55rod

Unread post #20 by rob55rod » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:38 pm

Sven.Littkowski wrote:No problem. I remember your words, that this still can qualify as mod proposal.

To make the UI more usable, there simply has to be a repositioning of the items. To me, it makes no sense, to use new colors but not to fix the limited usability of the original Spore UI. If we do something new, then let's make it better than the poor original. My way of thinking. :-)

I agree with your philosophy completely. I wanna see those other ideas you mentioned :3

And you'd better post that mod request, otherwise expect hell :lol:

Return to “Spore”