Civ V

I need your feedback. What do you want to see. What do I need to improve?
The GateKeeper

The GateKeeper

MinionJoe

Civ V

Unread post #1 by MinionJoe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Hey Davo!

Civilization V is going to have fully integrated mod support. So far as I know, you haven't done any mods for Civ IV (which was fully supported by Firaxis, but wasn't integrated into the game). But have you considered doing any mods for Civ V?

-Joe

The Boss
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Civ V

Unread post #2 by Davo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:37 pm

That would be an awesome game to mod.

I have played previous versions on consoles. The system was turn based, i hate that, but the gameplay is epic. The last game looked real cartoony on purpose, so i am glad to see they are going for a more mature look. Im already sold on the gameplay. Now im sold on the modding. It has free online, im sure! So yeah, i think i will give it a try.

I have only modded a handful of games. I love RTS games. I Hate bizzard like you hate EA but for a different reasons...

I ran across Spore before i knew of its modability.
I made some off the wall stuff for lol factors and people eat that stuff up.
I push spore to the limits, trying to see what i can break.

I'd love to tear up Civ5!
Support my Site via Adf.ly : View the Ad or Skip the Ad

The GateKeeper

The GateKeeper

MinionJoe

Unread post #3 by MinionJoe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:23 pm

Woot!

If you're thinking of creating mods for it, then I'll start looking for a new multi-core desktop in order to run it. Chances are my Athlon XP 2800+ can't handle it.

The Boss

Unread post #4 by Davo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:21 am

my question to you, would you play it online otherwise?

The GateKeeper

The GateKeeper

MinionJoe

Unread post #5 by MinionJoe » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:48 am

Turn-based games are about the only thing I will play online. Though, admittedly, I haven't played any Civ IV online. I did do a hot-seat co-op with a group over at Civ Fanatics though.

The Boss

Unread post #6 by Davo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:03 pm

Well, i hope if you do get it, you would coop with me or at least try a few mods(if any)

cant remember the last time i played a game online where someone was older than me.
except this cop that played GTA, who would only kill those kiling cops he said...i had to friend request that guy. he was a spotlight gamer(gamer of the month if you must...)
a cop that had a 30000+ gamerscore in a year(mine was 10000, you can achieve 1000 per game without expansions). couch potato with a badge lol.

Staff Sergeant

Staff Sergeant

Kaos

Unread post #7 by Kaos » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:53 am

Civ V ftw! I can't wait.

Recruit

Recruit

superckool
Location: Why would you care? plus i don't know but its dark here and i hear growling.
Zodiac: Aquarius

Unread post #8 by superckool » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:39 pm

I love the civilization series! This one looks real adult and not childish to, so I can't wait. Also btw I have been gone for a week or so.
Be careful were you step, I've booby-trapped your whole room, the next step you take might be your last, either that or you'll step on the party activator button, if so then PARTY TIME! :mrgreen:

The GateKeeper

The GateKeeper

MinionJoe

Unread post #9 by MinionJoe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:53 am

superckool wrote:I love the civilization series! This one looks real adult and not childish to, so I can't wait. Also btw I have been gone for a week or so.

The only "childish" Civ title so far as been Civilization: Revolution. And even it was pretty intricate.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the new hex maps, the elimination of the "stack of doom", and the use of artillery from BEHIND your main lines.

I've always hated having to constantly crank out catapults/cannons/artillery to replace the ones I lost assaulting cities. Artillery generally isn't lost in battle unless it's A) abandoned in a retreat, or B) destroyed by counter-batteries.

Staff Sergeant

Staff Sergeant

Kaos

Unread post #10 by Kaos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:59 am

Which is very good news. Also, I am slightly annoyed by the in-proportionate combat imagery. A warrior could kill all but a single longbowman in the battle graphic, but the longbowmen would then appear as if they had not lost a single unit after the conflict.
So weird.

The GateKeeper

The GateKeeper

MinionJoe

Unread post #11 by MinionJoe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:27 am

Civ IV wasn't quite that bad. A typical unit consisted of three models. If they took ANY damage, one would be removed from the unit. At half damage, another model would be removed. And the unit would only get the models back if they healed up. Units such as ships and tanks, which only had one model in the unit, would display several levels of "battle damage" until they were healed up. It wasn't a perfect visual representation of the unit's remaining strength, but it was representative enough.

Civ V looks to show even more models per unit. And, from what I've heard, you can only have one unit per hex. No more "stacks of doom"! Which will make combat a bit more tactical than previous titles (which were solely strategic).

Staff Sergeant

Staff Sergeant

Kaos

Unread post #12 by Kaos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:33 am

True, but my point comes in the combat graphic, where there were often glitches that made it seem less fluid and surreal. The combat damage / losing units from the squad that was displayed afterwords was perfectly good.

The GateKeeper

The GateKeeper

MinionJoe

Unread post #13 by MinionJoe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Well, Civilization has been primarily a strategic simulator. Fluidity and realism really isn't something that Risk has either.

Hopefully Civ V will have prettier battles. :)

Staff Sergeant

Staff Sergeant

Kaos

Unread post #14 by Kaos » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:50 pm

Agreed.

The Boss

Unread post #15 by Davo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:31 pm

gameplay videos are out on youtube

The GateKeeper

The GateKeeper

MinionJoe

Unread post #16 by MinionJoe » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:51 pm

Saw some shakey footage of the closed demo.

I'm really digging the tactical combat changes and the new social policies aspect.

And, FINALLY, ships can bombard land units!

Recruit

Recruit

superckool
Location: Why would you care? plus i don't know but its dark here and i hear growling.
Zodiac: Aquarius

Unread post #17 by superckool » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm gonna get this soon.
Be careful were you step, I've booby-trapped your whole room, the next step you take might be your last, either that or you'll step on the party activator button, if so then PARTY TIME! :mrgreen:

The GateKeeper

The GateKeeper

MinionJoe

Unread post #18 by MinionJoe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:05 am

Ordered my new PC from NewEgg last night. Should be here the beginning of next week.

Going to break it in with Dawn of War II. (I hear good things, and requiring Steam is acceptable to me)

Should last me a month until Civ V hits the shelves. :)

The GateKeeper

The GateKeeper

MinionJoe

Unread post #19 by MinionJoe » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:02 am

Tomorrow... :D

Got my system ready. AMD Athlon II X2 245 overclocked to 3.5GHz, 4GB DDR2-1066, onboard ATI 4200 HD with a 30% overclock. Dawn of War II has been running very smoothly on it with moderate graphics settings. I couldn't get Tropico III to run, but from what I read, it has problems with on-board graphics with shared memory anyway.

But tomorrow I pick up a copy of Civ V and then call in sick the rest of the week. ;) (OK, not really, but I probably will take a day off just to play.)

Return to “Feedback”