Tips for Modding?

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST...

Remember that all mods available here REQUIRE Spore: Galactic Adventures AND patch 5.1. Patch 6\Bot Parts does NOT include Patch 5.1! (Some may work on other setups, but this is recommended)

Can't get a mod to work? Feel free to ask for help, there's always someone around to help out. Just make sure to include the following information:
a) Did you install Spore from Steam, Origin, or a Disk?
b) Is your game patched to the latest version?
c) Do you have Galactic Adventures?
d) If so, is it also patched to the latest version?
e) Where did you install the mod to?
f) What is the file's current name in the folder you installed it to?
This information is needed for us to help you!
Rebecca1208
Poster of the New User Apocalypse

Tips for Modding?

Unread postby Rebecca1208 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:25 am

I had a play around with some of your mods today, Davo, and they're really quite fun :) Excellant work on all of them.

I've always been interested in mods for Spore since when I first heard about them. I currently have your SporeMaster 2.0 Beta programme running, unpacking files, and was wondering if you had any tips or quick comments/warnings for a beginner?

Besides that, I'd also like to help out a bit with what ever I can for you, including making some of my own videos based on your mods, if I can. Hope there's something I can do ^^

Keep up the great work!

Davo
The Boss
The Boss
Sergeant Major of the Davo Army

Re: Tips for Modding?

Unread postby Davo » Sun May 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Rebecca1208 wrote:I had a play around with some of your mods today, Davo, and they're really quite fun :) Excellant work on all of them.

I've always been interested in mods for Spore since when I first heard about them. I currently have your SporeMaster 2.0 Beta programme running, unpacking files, and was wondering if you had any tips or quick comments/warnings for a beginner?

Besides that, I'd also like to help out a bit with what ever I can for you, including making some of my own videos based on your mods, if I can. Hope there's something I can do ^^

Keep up the great work!

It's an honor comming from you! Ha!
Thank you so much! I feel the same about your work, off and on Spore. You are the number one Creator for spore today!

So you are learning to make spore mods, and want some advice.

As far as worrying about well, worries, fear none.

I have modded the most destructive mods to my game.
I made a mod in which the ufo that visits you in creature stage launches a planetbuster. this froze my pc for the amount of time it took to blow up. But it didnt completle fail. I expected my planet save to be gone, and it was, but i was able to still roam while i was there. This was an intentional mod tho... But all effects are reversable.(except recovering a deleted save in that case.)

my flora editor mod has a nasty side effect, but its not the mod. its the editor itself.

if you have beaten the game, you know of the staff of life/light(sol).

Custom flora loads into your games like maxis flora. Custom flora cannot be deleted from your game. It may appear to be removed form your sporepedia, but will continue to load onto your planets. The reason being is a .package file, like a mod, is created with all your editor saves. So deleting the flora ingame doesnt remove it in the editorsaves.package.

Using one of your 42 SOLs, the game will lockup trying to load custom flora as SOL turns a planet into a T3.

No fix is found for this yet ingame. I know what must be done, but modding it is hard.

A custom flora removal is possible, as I said everything is reversable. Your editorsaves.package, found in C:UsersUserAppDataRoamingSPORE, contains a .png as well as all saves in the form of .bem, .pollen_data, etc....

I can explain later.... but i have used SOL since then and this has been proven to work.

If you open you editorsaves.package, NEVER add to it. Delete all you want. I only have deleted adventures and Flora.

I would love to show and teach you more. Open mods that others have created. When viewing their files, click the box that says "Show only modded files"

and while selecting a certain file, use the winmerge feature, it displays the ingame file, compared to the modded file, highlighting what has been modified.

Try not to mod a certain purpose, at first, but read what files are displayed. Simple names have been discovered. Hunger rates for the stages, tools, abilities, etc...

Please reply. I will explain more soon.
Support my Site via Adf.ly : View the Ad or Skip the Ad

Rebecca1208

Unread postby Rebecca1208 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Wow, thank you for the great reply. I can see it's more complicated than I initially thought (though I thought it was anyways) :P

Well, as you said, I'll see if I can have a play around and look at some other mods, see how they're constructed (if I can see the differences!). May also take a look into your mods, as I'm interested in how you've done it all. I don't think I'd like to try some of the dangerous mods, like Creature Planet Busters, as great an idea that sounds :lol:

Hopefully when I'm more confident, I'll see if I can change basic commands and shizz 'til I learn to do the more complicated stuff ^^ 'tis really all interesting, but I bet it's quite challenging at first.

EDIT: Oh yes, and sorry for the long reply ^^'

Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread postby Davo » Wed May 19, 2010 10:18 am

there is a program called team viewer. it would allow you to watch my screen. if you wanted to learn, i'd say thats the best way... also, being the creator you are, i would love to see the flora you could design. my flora editor is great when following the tutorial i have created.

you have great videos. and great creations. how do you fell about trying to design some flora...

DO YOU EVEN PLAY THE GAME BESIDES ADVENTURES OR EDITORS??

Rebecca1208

Unread postby Rebecca1208 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:01 am

:lol: Yes I do play the game sometimes. As for flora, I've tried your mod but it was still quite glitchy, like the original flora editor, nothing like your videos. So I've not been able to make anything effective.

Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread postby Davo » Sun May 23, 2010 10:32 am

Rebecca1208 wrote::lol: Yes I do play the game sometimes. As for flora, I've tried your mod but it was still quite glitchy, like the original flora editor, nothing like your videos. So I've not been able to make anything effective.

hmm... maybe you've downloaded the wrong one? somehow many people host my old versions.
did you get it here?

i released a few parts and some minor changes yesterday, its in the top of my download center.

Rebecca1208

Unread postby Rebecca1208 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:10 am

It's possible I downloaded an old one, though I picked it out from here. I'll take another look :)

EDIT: Yep, same thing as last time. I've downloaded both the Expansion and Patch from your Download Center. Added the package files to Spore Data and changed my copy of GA's target to the appropriate location, and still same issue as last time.

Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread postby Davo » Sun May 23, 2010 12:09 pm

spore_ep1/data because it GA. did you do that?

Rebecca1208

Unread postby Rebecca1208 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:19 pm

Wheee! It looks like your video now :D Thank you very much!

Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread postby Davo » Sun May 23, 2010 2:09 pm

i hope you enjoy it!

Rebecca1208

Unread postby Rebecca1208 » Sun May 23, 2010 2:21 pm

Oh I am :3 After a lot of trial and error, and trying not to use the 'undo' button, I managed to make three rather boring plants :lol: But I'm certainly enjoying it ^^

Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread postby Davo » Mon May 24, 2010 3:15 pm

so do the flora look ok in your sporepedia?

Rebecca1208

Unread postby Rebecca1208 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:16 pm

When I save them, they don't appear on the sporepedia card, but I can view them in the viewer pretty well. Low-quality graphics, but it's all good ^^

Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread postby Davo » Tue May 25, 2010 2:41 pm

um... dont save them as unknown. save as small med, or large, and in order to view em, goto sporepedia and click 'everything'. you will see them there. or make an adventure and select them that way to see them in game at a higher graphics setting.

Rebecca1208

Unread postby Rebecca1208 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:00 pm

Ah yes. I can find them in Everything perfectly fine. As for the sizes/types, I have no idea what I save them under. But in future, I'll definitely not to Unknown :) Thanks.

Return to “Mod Help”