A bunch of inquiries regarding abilities

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST...

Remember that all mods available here REQUIRE Spore: Galactic Adventures AND patch 5.1. Patch 6\Bot Parts does NOT include Patch 5.1! (Some may work on other setups, but this is recommended)

Can't get a mod to work? Feel free to ask for help, there's always someone around to help out. Just make sure to include the following information:
a) Did you install Spore from Steam, Origin, or a Disk?
b) Is your game patched to the latest version?
c) Do you have Galactic Adventures?
d) If so, is it also patched to the latest version?
e) Where did you install the mod to?
f) What is the file's current name in the folder you installed it to?
This information is needed for us to help you!
LilyValley
Creature
Creature

A bunch of inquiries regarding abilities

Unread post by LilyValley »

Possible wall of text incoming. I wanted to research making my own abilities/attacks and there are little to no guides on how it's done or what I'll need to do. So I became inspired after playing with Dark Injection abilities, and that inspiration could be used to add my own things, that is if I can put it together. That leads me to a lot of curiosity as this can be very customizable, difficult and rewarding.

First thing I want to ask is.. how can I find the animations (for creatures) and is there some sort of way to have a preview? Is there a place (or places) where most or all animations are compiled in the game's data? I'm asking because I see there are a bunch of hashed names, and I don't think there is a way to decipher the hash directly.

Second, is it even possible to make new animations? I know, that's asking a lot! However, I've always been curious about animating in 3D. Is there hope, and/or can I extract animations from Darkspore if I'm really inclined to?

Next is effects. Is it too tall of an order to experiment with new effects? Where can effects files be found in the data of the game (and again, hash decoding would be helpful if that is possible)? Would it be a good or reasonable idea to grab effects from Darkspore?

I've been browsing the Dark Injection abilities and such so I can (hopefully) learn how to add attacks and the like. So, if I run into an issue or something goes awry, I guess I'll return to this topic and then ask about it.

Be sure to see my Spore videos on YouTube! You can find me under BetLV.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: A bunch of inquiries regarding abilities

Unread post by rob55rod »

LilyValley wrote:First thing I want to ask is.. how can I find the animations (for creatures) and is there some sort of way to have a preview? Is there a place (or places) where most or all animations are compiled in the game's data? I'm asking because I see there are a bunch of hashed names, and I don't think there is a way to decipher the hash directly.
Take a look at any TLSA files you find, after converting them via SporeModder's TLSA converter. They contain lists of animation groups you can use.
LilyValley wrote:Second, is it even possible to make new animations? I know, that's asking a lot! However, I've always been curious about animating in 3D. Is there hope
Currently no.
LilyValley wrote:can I extract animations from Darkspore if I'm really inclined to?
I've tried, with no luck. I haven't given up though. That having been said, if you beat me to it, I will be genuinely impressed.

LilyValley wrote:Next is effects. Is it too tall of an order to experiment with new effects?
Not at all, thanks to SporeModder.
LilyValley wrote:Where can effects files be found in the data of the game (and again, hash decoding would be helpful if that is possible)?
gameEffects_(number)~, ep1_effects_(number)~, etc.
The numbers correspond to the user's graphics settings.
LilyValley wrote:Would it be a good or reasonable idea to grab effects from Darkspore?
No, that's my job! :lol:
jk, in all seriousness though, Darkspore seems to use two effect formats. One of them is semi-compatible with Spore and can, with enough luck, be converted into pfx files which can be modified and/or repacked for use in Spore. Occasionally, and rarely in their entirety and without any damage to the original particles. (There's a reason the Darkspore effects present in :di: were such a pain to salvage and perfect...)
LilyValley wrote:I've been browsing the Dark Injection abilities and such so I can (hopefully) learn how to add attacks and the like. So, if I run into an issue or something goes awry, I guess I'll return to this topic and then ask about it.
Best of luck ^-^

(Can't wait to see what comes of this O: )
(But if you start adding Darkspore abilities to Spore, I may have to ask you to stop stealing items off of my DI to-do list. (jk ofc :lol: ))
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
LilyValley
Creature
Creature

EDIT: I was able to find the tlsa files. If I were to have electricity engulf the user when they were charging a target, how would I do that in terms of coding(assuming it's possible)? What about effects on/directed at the target?

Edit 2: Wanted to give my stuff a test run for the first time, and I haven't even reached the main menu before crashing. I am browsing again through the files, but what should part item columns and rows be, typically? I can't visualize it, but I have 2 abilities I want to test. I have my category as an extension of details, and the group is labeled ce_details_abilities but my individual parts are called "charge201" and "spit201" currently. I'm just new with abilities and modding the creature editor so I know there has to be things to iron out.

EDIT 3: I have it in game without any crashing thus far, and when I go to test my new spit ability out.. it has the same effects and animations as your average level 5 spit.

Edit 4: After pasting DI spit abilities into my project nothing changes when I use the attack.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Can I see the PROP.XML files for the ability and the part? (Also don't include DI files in your mod)

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
LilyValley
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:Can I see the PROP.XML files for the ability and the part? (Also don't include DI files in your mod)
I understand that I should make my own files but having a sort of guideline to work on is needed, I think. The part in question's code:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<properties>
	<key name="parent" groupid="creatureeditortemplates" instanceid="creaturedetailtemplate" />
	<texts name="blockName">
		<text>Lightning </text>
	</texts>
	<int32 name="modelCapabilitySpit">201</int32>
	<key name="modelMeshLOD0" groupid="editor_rigblocks~" instanceid="ui_rotateArc3" typeid="rw4" />
	<vector3 name="modelRotation">
		<x>0</x>
		<y>-90</y>
		<z>0</z>
	</vector3>
	<float name="modelScale">1</float>
</properties>
And ability code (I didn't quite know what is what so I had to look at the DI files for a reference, but I will not have identical files when finished):

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<properties>
	<float name="creatureAbilityAdventurerEnergyCost">40</float>
	<uint32s name="creatureAbilityAnimationIDs">
		<uint32>$ter_gen_baby_cry</uint32>
	</uint32s>
	<float name="creatureAbilityAreaOfEffect">4</float>
	<int32 name="creatureAbilityCategory">1</int32>
	<uint32s name="creatureAbilityCombatEffectEffectIds">
		<uint32>0</uint32>
		<uint32>0</uint32>
		<uint32>0</uint32>
		<uint32>0xF62F839C</uint32>
	</uint32s>
	<floats name="creatureAbilityCombatEffectPercentages">
		<float>0</float>
		<float>0</float>
		<float>0</float>
		<float>1</float>
	</floats>
	<uint32s name="creatureAbilityCombatEffectTypes">
		<uint32>0</uint32>
		<uint32>1</uint32>
		<uint32>2</uint32>
		<uint32>3</uint32>
	</uint32s>
	<float name="creatureAbilityDamage">10</float>
	<texts name="creatureAbilityDescription">
		<text>Lightning</text>
	</texts>
	<float name="creatureAbilityDuration">999</float>
	<float name="creatureAbilityEffectDamage">10</float>
	<float name="creatureAbilityEffectDuration">1</float>
	<int32 name="creatureAbilityEffectKind">1</int32>
	<int32 name="creatureAbilityEffectType">0</int32>
	<float name="creatureAbilityEnergyCost">40</float>
	<uint32s name="creatureAbilityExcludedCAPs">
		<uint32>0x6E677061</uint32>
		<uint32>0x736D7361</uint32>
	</uint32s>
	<uint32s name="creatureAbilityFollowerAnimationIDs">
		<uint32>0x042DD1B8</uint32>
	</uint32s>
	<uint32 name="creatureAbilityImpactEffectId">0x7BB9D4A5</uint32>
	<uint32 name="creatureAbilityMuzzleEffectId">0</uint32>
	<texts name="creatureAbilityName">
		<text>Lightning</text>
	</texts>
	<float name="creatureAbilityRange">45</float>
	<float name="creatureAbilityRangedDamage">10</float>
	<float name="creatureAbilityRangeMin">5</float>
	<float name="creatureAbilityRazeDamage">4</float>
	<uint32 name="creatureAbilityReactionAnimation">0</uint32>
	<float name="creatureAbilityReactionDuration">999.9000244</float>
	<float name="creatureAbilityRecharge">1.5</float>
	<float name="creatureAbilityRefresh">1.5</float>
	<uint32s name="creatureAbilityRequiredCAPs">
		<uint32>0x74697073</uint32>
	</uint32s>
	<vector2s name="creatureAbilityRequiredCAPsMaxValueRange">
		<vector2>
			<x>29</x>
			<y>29</y>
		</vector2>
	</vector2s>
	<texts name="creatureAbilityRolloverValueDescription">
		<text>Lightning</text>
	</texts>
	<float name="creatureAbilitySpeed">125</float>
	<uint32 name="creatureAbilityTrailEffectId">0xB9D1B4F1</uint32>
	<int32 name="creatureAbilityType">32</int32>
	<key name="verbIconCategory" instanceid="missile" />
	<key name="verbIconGameLayout" instanceid="#AE2CBB58" />
	<key name="verbIconImageID" instanceid="clg_burst" />
	<key name="verbIconLayout" instanceid="#05722A76" />
	<key name="verbIconStaticLayout" instanceid="#024732B2" />
	<int32 name="verbIconTriggerKey">-1</int32>
	<bool name="verbIconUseDescription">false</bool>
</properties>
I apologize for having DI stuff. I am not entirely sure what the effects are doing because the spit isn't much different than core Spore level 5.. but in the creature editor spit level 201 appears.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Which DI ability did you base this off of?

Shattered
Sentient
Sentient

Unread post by Shattered »

rob55rod wrote:Which DI ability did you base this off of?
From what I can tell, it's the lightning ability.
Thanks for killing me
LilyValley
Creature
Creature

I came back to say.. I redid my things because it seems you need a template to have an ability. I tried that and I have an ability in which the target is zapped by a lightning bolt from the sky. I wanted to figure out swapping animations but that hasn't exactly worked. I see the tlsa files but taking anims from there and replacing what's in the ability animation IDs has not made a difference to me. Also, I don't exactly know the ability CAPs and what they do.. and if I were to again, try and make a charge attack where the user surrounds itself with electricity, how would I do that? I have the effect IDs for charge but there are 4 of them. The one I changed affected the target, and I'd appreciate being able to start with adding an effect on the user or even swap the impact effect.

Edit: I wanted to make a second spit ability but when I tested it I get the first spit. In the editor it says level 202 but for some reason it thinks that the first ability is what happens.

Edit 3: I have both spit abilities working, tried to add a strike but it didn't really work. Added a third (5 abilities overall contained in the mod, finished or otherwise) and now there is no trace of any of these abilities in the editor.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mod Help”