Model invisible in game

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST...

Remember that all mods available here REQUIRE Spore: Galactic Adventures AND patch 5.1. Patch 6\Bot Parts does NOT include Patch 5.1! (Some may work on other setups, but this is recommended)

Can't get a mod to work? Feel free to ask for help, there's always someone around to help out. Just make sure to include the following information:
a) Did you install Spore from Steam, Origin, or a Disk?
b) Is your game patched to the latest version?
c) Do you have Galactic Adventures?
d) If so, is it also patched to the latest version?
e) Where did you install the mod to?
f) What is the file's current name in the folder you installed it to?
This information is needed for us to help you!
LilyValley
Creature
Creature

Model invisible in game

Unread post by LilyValley »

I'm back and I have made an adventure prop appear in the game... well, at least in the lists and UI anyways. I made a static object but when I go to place it there is nothing. I've just started this project today and I am left wondering what has made it invisible.

Be sure to see my Spore videos on YouTube! You can find me under BetLV.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: Model invisible in game

Unread post by rob55rod »

Would you mind posting your PROP.XML files for the object?
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
LilyValley
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:Would you mind posting your PROP.XML files for the object?
I'm not very experienced so I tried to study the files of the game, so in my "civicobjects" folder I have this (it's a dragon statue):

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<properties>
	<key name="parent" groupid="civicobjects" instanceid="EP1_StaticObjectTemplate" typeid="prop" />
	<string16 name="description">Dragon</string16>
	<texts name="blockName">
		<text>Dragon Statue</text>
	</texts>
	<key name="modelMeshLOD0" groupid="editor_rigblocks~" instanceid="dragon" typeid="rw4" />
	<key name="modelMeshLOD1" groupid="editor_rigblocks~" instanceid="dragon" typeid="rw4" />
	<key name="modelMeshLOD2" groupid="editor_rigblocks~" instanceid="dragon" typeid="rw4" />
	<float name="modelScale">8</float>
	<key name="#38B3D14E" groupid="editor_rigblocks~" instanceid="dragon" typeid="rw4" />
</properties>
And in the "definitions~" I have this:

<properties>
	<key name="parent" groupid="definitions~" instanceid="#04051EB4" typeid="prop" />
	<texts name="interactableObjectName">
		<text>Dragon</text>
	</texts>
	<int32 name="interactiveOrnamentType">7</int32>
	<uint32 name="materialType">11</uint32>
	<string8 name="nounDefinition_ResourceDescription">glass</string8>
	<key name="nounDefinition_ResourceKey" groupid="civicobjects" instanceid="dragon" typeid="prop" />
</properties>
I have the model in the folder "ep1_adventuremodels~" and it is .rw4.

Finally, in "PalleteItems" I have:

<properties>
	<key name="parent" groupid="PaletteItems" instanceid="#5C5C0759" typeid="prop" />
	<key name="modelMeshLOD0" groupid="editor_rigblocks~" instanceid="dragon" typeid="rw4" />
	<key name="paletteItemPlacedAsset" groupid="definitions~" instanceid="dragon" typeid="#03A2511E" />
	<texts name="sporepediaName">
		<text>Dragon Statue</text>
	</texts>
	<bool name="sporepediaShow">true</bool>
</properties>
Is there something I did incorrectly?
Last edited by rob55rod on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved XML into code tags
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Well I see two things that jump out at me so far:

1. In "definitions~", your nounDefinition_ResourceDescription doesn't match the model's name.
2. Your model is not stored in "animations~". I don't know if this actually matters, but that's what I've always done, and it works, sooo...there's that.

Also you may want to check your PROP.XML files' names and make sure they all match the model's name (e.g. if dragon.rw4, call them dragon.prop.xml). Again, I don't think this is necessary, but it does make it a heck of a lot harder to get a reference wrong. Also speaking of file names, I recommend you prefix your model's (and PROP.XML files') name(s) with the initials of your mod or some other abbreviation, e.g. "DI9r_Dragon" for Dark Injection, "BrE_Dragon" for Branching Evolution, "BS_Dragon" for Bullsh-I mean, uh, BetterSpore...you get the idea. It just makes the name less likely to conflict with one in another mod.

Oh and, in future, please use code tags around each file, and denote the location and name of the file as Spore does, e.g. "definitions~!dragon.prop.xml" for a file called "dragon.prop.xml" in the "definitions~" folder. Just makes things easier for everyone if we all use the same formatting.

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
LilyValley
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:Well I see two things that jump out at me so far:

1. In "definitions~", your nounDefinition_ResourceDescription doesn't match the model's name.
2. Your model is not stored in "animations~". I don't know if this actually matters, but that's what I've always done, and it works, sooo...there's that.
I made sure to do both steps and I tested it again.. nothing seems to have changed. In the adventure editor it's still invisible. Maybe there's something wrong with the model?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Wait a second...can I see your model's material settings and texture?

LilyValley
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:Wait a second...can I see your model's material settings and texture?
Do I post a screenshot? I have assigned a texture to the material and I also added a diffuse texture to the rw4 data, so maybe those have conflicted?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but do the textures save with the .rw4?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

LilyValley wrote:
rob55rod wrote:Wait a second...can I see your model's material settings and texture?
Do I post a screenshot?
Yes
LilyValley wrote:I have assigned a texture to the material and I also added a diffuse texture to the rw4 data, so maybe those have conflicted?
I do that all the time. Not going to make a difference.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but do the textures save with the .rw4?[/quote]
The textures are packed into the rw4 model.

LilyValley
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:
LilyValley wrote:
Do I post a screenshot?
Yes
Here's my settings (very quick and messy screenshot edit) : Image
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Does your model have a skeleton?

LilyValley
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:Does your model have a skeleton?
Nope, does it need one?
For reference, I'm trying to add in a fixed(static) object.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

LilyValley wrote:
Nope, does it need one?
Yes, it does. The skeleton doesn't have do do anything other than exist, though...

LilyValley
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:
LilyValley wrote:
Nope, does it need one?
Yes, it does. The skeleton doesn't have do do anything other than exist, though...
Well, would parenting need to come into play? What is parented to what?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

LilyValley wrote:
rob55rod wrote:
LilyValley wrote: Nope, does it need one?
Well, would parenting need to come into play? What is parented to what?
No.

LilyValley
Creature
Creature

It didn't appear at all so I went into the xml and did research. The groupid in civicobjects has to be the folder where the model is kept, so I corrected it and.. boom! It appears in game! A few issues, though. The model when placed is vertical instead of horizontal, and the alpha channel appears anyways. I think I will need to change that "alpha" material setting to "excluding" (if I remember the name right).

Edit: The alpha channel isn't working. Where it should be transparent, there's a black texture.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

LilyValley wrote:It didn't appear at all so I went into the xml and did research. The groupid in civicobjects has to be the folder where the model is kept, so I corrected it and.. boom! It appears in game!
...I thought it did match. That's what groupid is - the folder .-.
LilyValley wrote:The model when placed is vertical instead of horizontal
Just make sure it's rotated correctly in Blender and Apply all Rotation modifiers.
LilyValley wrote:and the alpha channel appears anyways. I think I will need to change that "alpha" material setting to "excluding" (if I remember the name right).

Edit: The alpha channel isn't working. Where it should be transparent, there's a black texture.
Yes, that's what happens when you set it to Excluding or Opaque...that's the whole point :lol:

LilyValley
Creature
Creature

rob55rod wrote:
LilyValley wrote:It didn't appear at all so I went into the xml and did research. The groupid in civicobjects has to be the folder where the model is kept, so I corrected it and.. boom! It appears in game!
...I thought it did match. That's what groupid is - the folder .-.
LilyValley wrote:The model when placed is vertical instead of horizontal
Just make sure it's rotated correctly in Blender and Apply all Rotation modifiers.
LilyValley wrote:and the alpha channel appears anyways. I think I will need to change that "alpha" material setting to "excluding" (if I remember the name right).

Yes, that's what happens when you set it to Excluding or Opaque...that's the whole point :lol:
I had it alpha in the first place which still had a black texture. I reset the rotation already and it appears fine, save for that alpha channel bug. Until I find a solution for that, I'll stick to models that don't utilize it. Case in point (pun intended), I made a suitcase that you can pick up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mod Help”