DI w/ Steam

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST...

Remember that all mods available here REQUIRE Spore: Galactic Adventures AND patch 5.1. Patch 6\Bot Parts does NOT include Patch 5.1! (Some may work on other setups, but this is recommended)

Can't get a mod to work? Feel free to ask for help, there's always someone around to help out. Just make sure to include the following information:
a) Did you install Spore from Steam, Origin, or a Disk?
b) Is your game patched to the latest version?
c) Do you have Galactic Adventures?
d) If so, is it also patched to the latest version?
e) Where did you install the mod to?
f) What is the file's current name in the folder you installed it to?
This information is needed for us to help you!
pinesolgunch
Cell
Cell

DI w/ Steam

Unread post by pinesolgunch »

I really hate to bug you people for the second time.

Turns out that this time, I have a new computer and because I knew I was running out of extra downloads for my actual copy of Spore, I downloaded it (the full pack, core, C&C, GA and all) from Steam. I'm not going to give any more backstory or anything, I'm just gonna say that I'm having trouble with DI and DI only. I'm sure I have all of the files required. I've installed CBCP too and it works perfectly fine. DI just doesn't load.

I've read up on it and the context I'm taking it out of is that people that use Steam can get DI to work, but they have problems with saving. I've looked at the solutions and installed what I thought would fix it but it's still just the colour pack that's working.

I appreciate your time and forgive me if I'm missing some posts. Feel free to also point out how blind I am if I'm missing something extremely obvious.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: DI w/ Steam

Unread post by rob55rod »

You sure are missing something extremely obvious:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CEUBQE6itA[/youtube]

EDIT: To clarify, Steam Spore is extremely unreliable. Any given mod might half-work on one person's install and not at all on another. Heck, I've met people who can't use mods at all and around 5 who have no problems. Oddly, all of the latter 5 originate from /r/Spore, and 2 of them refuse to accept that most Steam Spore users aren't so fortunate. Because apparently two peoples' personal experience is a better sample than the hundreds, if not thousands, of people I've had to deal with. Switching them to Origin fixes it every time .-.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
pinesolgunch
Cell
Cell

I'm installing Origin now. Will I have to do the force save thing again or will Origin Spore fix that too?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

xiriouslym800 wrote:I'm installing Origin now. Will I have to do the force save thing again or will Origin Spore fix that too?
I'd say use Steam Force Save regardless. Reduces clutter in your Data folder.

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
pinesolgunch
Cell
Cell

Absolutely wonderful job, Origin.

Now I just need to hope that the patch actually did install before C&C finished installing.

GA didn't install correctly either. Great!

I checked the data folder and it looks like it matches what was in the same folder for Steam.
Still not sure, though.
Last edited by pinesolgunch on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

xiriouslym800 wrote:Image

Now I just need to hope that the patch actually did install before C&C finished installing.

Wat the...

...okay, I'd suggest you uninstall whatever you've installed so far, reinstall Core Spore, then install everything in the correct order. But DO NOT INSTALL BOT PARTS.

Also, what's up with the title bar font? Isn't that the one used in Windows 3.5? :lol:

pinesolgunch
Cell
Cell

rob55rod wrote:

Wat the...

...okay, I'd suggest you uninstall whatever you've installed so far, reinstall Core Spore, then install everything in the correct order. But DO NOT INSTALL BOT PARTS.

Also, what's up with the title bar font? Isn't that the one used in Windows 3.5? :lol:
I actually changed the font to that, haha.
I wasn't planning on installing bot parts, either, since I thought DI had that as a feature.
Apologies for editing the message late again, too. Just not sure if it's all complete. And for uninstalling, everything including the Steam apps? I have a strange feeling it's not working because it detects the files already or something. I dunno, excuse me for sounding like an idiot.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

xiriouslym800 wrote:
rob55rod wrote:

Wat the...

I actually changed the font to that, haha.
I wasn't planning on installing bot parts, either, since I thought DI had that as a feature.
Apologies for editing the message late again, too. Just not sure if it's all complete. And for uninstalling, everything including the Steam apps? I have a strange feeling it's not working because it detects the files already or something. I dunno, excuse me for sounding like an idiot.
Yes, you have to uninstall Steam Spore before you can uninstall Origin Spore :lol:

Don't beat yourself up for not knowing everything .-.

Changed the font, huh? Is that all you changed? :lol: I need to stop being a Visual Style artist .-.

EDIT: Also DI v9 does not include the Bot Parts. But don't install them, that's a death wish for your game. Use this instead. If you're gonna use DI regardless, that's all there is to installing it. If not, you'll need to install Arenas_RDX9 and Arenas_Textures to use it. It actually works better than regular Bot Parts, between integrated VocalBots and the (somewhat) less broken Darkspore part models...

pinesolgunch
Cell
Cell

I just made a creature for testing purposes (still with Steam) and some of the core textures are DI's, and that's the only part of DI that seems to be working. What.
I mean...sorry for the off-topic-ness, but what? Shouldn't it be all of it missing or were the parts just installed wrong the entire time?

Edit: Tried to reinstall CoreTextures and they didn't show, so I guess it is just the Steam issue. If I move the one creation to desktop then drag & drop it into [hopefully] the other copy will it just register that it's mine?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

xiriouslym800 wrote:I just made a creature for testing purposes (still with Steam) and some of the core textures are DI's, and that's the only part of DI that seems to be working. What.
I mean...sorry for the off-topic-ness, but what? Shouldn't it be all of it missing or were the parts just installed wrong the entire time?

Edit: Tried to reinstall CoreTextures and they didn't show, so I guess it is just the Steam issue. If I move the one creation to desktop then drag & drop it into [hopefully] the other copy will it just register that it's mine?
I did mention that on Steam Spore, some mods half-work for some people and don't at all for others.

Did you completely uninstall Steam Spore before installing Origin Spore in its place?

pinesolgunch
Cell
Cell

I'm working on it and I started a test save; do I just copy the Data, DataEP1 and My Spore Creations folders to keep that or is there a lot more?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

xiriouslym800 wrote:I'm working on it and I started a test save; do I just copy the Data, DataEP1 and My Spore Creations folders to keep that or is there a lot more?
No, Data and DataEP1 don't even contain save data.

Make backups of

Code: Select all

%appdata%\SPORE
and

%userprofile%\Documents\My Spore Creations
before uninstalling Steam Spore. The uninstaller presents you with an option of deleting or keeping your save Data, but from what I've heard (and experienced) it doesn't pay any attention to your selection :lol:

(I got hit by that once. Said I didn't want my stuff deleted. It deleted it regardless. I was crushed.

And then I remembered that I had unpacked my EditorSaves package a few days prior, meaning that all those PNGs were safe, bar a few test plants :lol:

but don't count on being as lucky as I was. I can guarantee you won't be.)

pinesolgunch
Cell
Cell

rob55rod wrote:
xiriouslym800 wrote:I'm working on it and I started a test save; do I just copy the Data, DataEP1 and My Spore Creations folders to keep that or is there a lot more?

Make backups of

%appdata%\SPORE
and

before uninstalling Steam Spore. The uninstaller presents you with an option of deleting or keeping your save Data, but from what I've heard (and experienced) it doesn't pay any attention to your selection :lol:

(I got hit by that once. Said I didn't want my stuff deleted. It deleted it regardless. I was crushed.

And then I remembered that I had unpacked my EditorSaves package a few days prior, meaning that all those PNGs were safe, bar a few test plants :lol:

If it has a chance to not save at all, I may as well just copy My Spore Creations only. I was only just starting cre. stage so it's not that big of a loss.

Edit: The expansion packs on Origin weren't installed but only downloaded; will that break anything?
Last edited by pinesolgunch on Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

xiriouslym800 wrote:
rob55rod wrote:

Make backups of

%appdata%\SPORE
and

If it has a chance to not save at all, I may as well just copy My Spore Creations only. I was only just starting cre. stage so it's not that big of a loss.
Fair enough.

pinesolgunch
Cell
Cell

Everything's installed now. Do I need to download the patch for GA or is it already updated or should it update on startup?
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

xiriouslym800 wrote:Everything's installed now. Do I need to download the patch for GA or is it already updated or should it update on startup?
Download the patch. It can be installed through the game, but getting it from the website is just...faster :lol:

pinesolgunch
Cell
Cell

Installed the patch, dragged the DI files into the Data folder for GA, and the results are exactly the same as the steam ones, including that the creation cannot be saved. Textures for Core Spore don't load even though I have the file and instead are replaced with DI textures.
It seems that everything I try goes wrong in some way. RIP.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

xiriouslym800 wrote:Installed the patch, dragged the DI files into the Data folder for GA, and the results are exactly the same as the steam ones, including that the creation cannot be saved. Textures for Core Spore don't load even though I have the file and instead are replaced with DI textures.
Um...

...provide screenshots of all of your Data folders. Where did you install Steam Force Save to? (Full path to file please)

pinesolgunch
Cell
Cell

rob55rod wrote:
xiriouslym800 wrote:Installed the patch, dragged the DI files into the Data folder for GA, and the results are exactly the same as the steam ones, including that the creation cannot be saved. Textures for Core Spore don't load even though I have the file and instead are replaced with DI textures.
Um...

...provide screenshots of all of your Data folders. Where did you install Steam Force Save to? (Full path to file please)
I didn't actually install Steam force save (just to make matters more complicated), I used this.
But here's my data folders, anyway.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

xiriouslym800 wrote:
rob55rod wrote:
Um...

I didn't actually install Steam force save (just to make matters more complicated), I used this.
But here's my data folders, anyway.
xiriouslym800 wrote:I didn't actually install Steam force save (just to make matters more complicated), I used this.
I don't follow, you say you didn't use Steam Force Save, then you say you used "this", accompanied by a link to Steam Force Save. wat?
xiriouslym800 wrote:But here's my data folders, anyway.
Umm...wow, that is really weird. You said you have neither Creepy and Cute nor Bot parts? .-.

Return to “Mod Help”