I have questions about the Steam version

Questions seeking answers can be found here, someone else may have had the same issue and might have a solution.
Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST...

Remember that mods you download that are created by Davo REQUIRE Spore: Galactic Adventures and REQUIRE your game to be installed & patched in this order.
  • - Install Spore Game
  • - (OPTIONAL) Install Spore C&C
  • - Install Spore Galactic Adventures
  • - Patch Spore and Spore Galactic Adventures to 1.5.1
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
MafagafoGirl
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have questions about the Steam version

Unread post by MafagafoGirl »

First of all, hi! I've been playing Spore since its release, I practically grew up with the thing, and stopped after the EA Support for it in my country ended (they even closed up the PT-BR website...). But now I'm trying to go back to it, and I decided to join this forum!
I have both Spore and GA on disk and I bought them + CC on Steam a while ago because I thought I lost my copies in a move, but it turned out I didn't xD. Unfortunately I couldn't sync it up with my Origin account OR my Spore account. Can't even log into the official forum with my Spore account (they say it doesn't really exist, which is a bummer). I guess it's only offline spore for me. And no, EA Help is of, well, no help for me. Live Chat literally doesn't work (it just searches endlessly for someone to talk to me), and the help forums weren't useful and just redirected me to a FAQ which didn't even have an answer for my problem.

Anyway, now that I'm coming back to it I'm tempted to get mods, but as I found out they don't work with Steam because of the way Steam installs files. So I looked at the steam version of the Spore files and how they're arranged differently and I got an idea: What if I rearrange the files so that they're precisely like the way the disk and Origin installs them? Would the mods work out that way?

Well, I wanna know if anyone has tried it and if it worked or just corrupted everything. Also if anyone would like to help I'd like prints of how the files are organized, for those of you who have it installed through disk/Origin, so I can mimick them ^^

I need images of the main folder and images of the files inside each folder. You can blur out everything on the address tab if you feel like it, but leave out the names of the spore folders so i don't have to play guessing game hahaha

Thanks in advance!

[strike]also I have this weird urge to bold-out key info in my posts so that people can skim through it easier x.x[/strike]

TheUltraCube6723
Civilian
Civilian

Re: I have questions about the Steam version

Unread post by TheUltraCube6723 »

MafagafoGirl wrote:First of all, hi! I've been playing Spore since its release, I practically grew up with the thing, and stopped after the EA Support for it in my country ended (they even closed up the PT-BR website...). But now I'm trying to go back to it, and I decided to join this forum!
I have both Spore and GA on disk and I bought them + CC on Steam a while ago because I thought I lost my copies in a move, but it turned out I didn't xD. Unfortunately I couldn't sync it up with my Origin account OR my Spore account. Can't even log into the official forum with my Spore account (they say it doesn't really exist, which is a bummer). I guess it's only offline spore for me. And no, EA Help is of, well, no help for me. Live Chat literally doesn't work (it just searches endlessly for someone to talk to me), and the help forums weren't useful and just redirected me to a FAQ which didn't even have an answer for my problem.

Anyway, now that I'm coming back to it I'm tempted to get mods, but as I found out they don't work with Steam because of the way Steam installs files. So I looked at the steam version of the Spore files and how they're arranged differently and I got an idea: What if I rearrange the files so that they're precisely like the way the disk and Origin installs them? Would the mods work out that way?

Well, I wanna know if anyone has tried it and if it worked or just corrupted everything. Also if anyone would like to help I'd like prints of how the files are organized, for those of you who have it installed through disk/Origin, so I can mimick them ^^

I need images of the main folder and images of the files inside each folder. You can blur out everything on the address tab if you feel like it, but leave out the names of the spore folders so i don't have to play guessing game hahaha

Thanks in advance!

[strike]also I have this weird urge to bold-out key info in my posts so that people can skim through it easier x.x[/strike]
Go to Program Files (x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > Spore > DataEP1, you should drop your mods in the DataEP1 folder, not their parent .zip files, but the .package files.

Also, rearranging the files will break your game, so don't actually do it. And Steam works with mods just as fine as Origin does.
Just another fellow user.

It's possible to improve Spore's graphics using Reshade. I'm planning a V0.2 public release soon
MafagafoGirl
Hatchling
Hatchling

TheUltraCube6723 wrote:
MafagafoGirl wrote:[[all the stuff I said]]
Go to Program Files (x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > Spore > DataEP1, you should drop your mods in the DataEP1 folder, not their parent .zip files, but the .package files.

Also, rearranging the files will break your game, so don't actually do it. And Steam works with mods just as fine as Origin does.
Oh, I didn't know that! The installation videos and threads I've seen before said that it didn't work because of the arrengment of files. I'm glad it works then! Thanks a lot <3
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unread post by rob55rod »

MafagafoGirl wrote:Oh, I didn't know that! The installation videos and threads I've seen before said that it didn't work because of the arrengment of files. I'm glad it works then! Thanks a lot <3
Actually mods don't work on Steam or Origin, I have no idea what UltraCube here is talking about. (They used to work on Origin, but then 1.7 happened so meh). That having been said, we've fairly recently learned how to update mods to work on both, so as time goes on, that will change.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
MafagafoGirl
Hatchling
Hatchling

rob55rod wrote: Actually mods don't work on Steam or Origin, I have no idea what UltraCube here is talking about. (They used to work on Origin, but then 1.7 happened so meh). That having been said, we've fairly recently learned how to update mods to work on both, so as time goes on, that will change.
Well then that's a bummer :/ Do you have a list of which mods already work on Steam? Other than that, I guess I'll just wait a while until everything is up to date ^^
TheUltraCube6723
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by TheUltraCube6723 »

MafagafoGirl wrote:
rob55rod wrote: Actually mods don't work on Steam or Origin, I have no idea what UltraCube here is talking about. (They used to work on Origin, but then 1.7 happened so meh). That having been said, we've fairly recently learned how to update mods to work on both, so as time goes on, that will change.
Well then that's a bummer :/ Do you have a list of which mods already work on Steam? Other than that, I guess I'll just wait a while until everything is up to date ^^
Many mods still work for me, and keep in mind, I do have patch 1.7 installed.

None the less, here's the list:
* Dark Injection V9.R Beta 2.1.6
* Enhanced Color Picker
* Camben's coloured knurldown mod (don't remember the actual name)
* Platinumspore V2.0.5
* Enhanced Planet Lighting mod (Made by me)
* Infinite Staff of Life (Also made by me, not released yet)
* PersonaliSpore (My private, personal spore mod, that tunes gameplay to my liking. Will never be released)
* Spore Resurrection: Next/First Steps
Just another fellow user.

It's possible to improve Spore's graphics using Reshade. I'm planning a V0.2 public release soon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”