(Workaround/Resolved?) Mods on Steam Spore

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST...

Remember that mods you download that are created by Davo REQUIRE Spore: Galactic Adventures and REQUIRE your game to be installed & patched in this order.

- Install Spore Game

- (OPTIONAL) Install Spore C&C

- Install Spore Galactic Adventures

- Patch Spore and Spore Galactic Adventures to 1.5.1

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
alexdanoob
Poster of the New User Apocalypse

(Workaround/Resolved?) Mods on Steam Spore

Unread postby alexdanoob » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Used torrented 1.4 Spore with GA 1.00 with crack .exe, seems to be working thus far. Also, cd keys are the same for Steam and Non-Steam. So if anyone has all of their cd keys, they should be able to install it legit (atleast I think so).

There are ways to get the Steam version to work, but either you get lucky or it becomes a bitch to troubleshoot. Sorry, I would have troubleshooted further but as soon as I noticed 1.4 was working properly, I was enticed to just get it installed that way and play. It's probably not going to work properly since the mods I have in place practically require 1.5.1, but oh well. I'll let you know what happens lol -_-

Hello everyone, sorry to be annoying and ask for help. I've been troubleshooting for days and finally decided that maybe I need other people's viewpoint and thoughts.

I used Steam to install Spore, C&C, and GA (in that order). Not sure if it properly patched it, even tried to verify integrity of cache to patch it, but that didn't do anything to update. Either way, tried Spore GA and worked fairly well. I tried using the mods just for testing, as I expected it didn't work since Steam's files are different.

Was going to try using the .package files from a torrented version and see if that worked since I read this:
http://www.davoonline.com/phpBB3/viewto ... =26&t=2522. With all of the non-steam .packages, it worked, but I had a few issues. Galactic Adventures portion of the game doesn't work properly, for example there's no option for it and the intro is a white box where Galactic Adventures (without the mods) should be. The icons for the attacks and several other icons are large and out of place in the GUI. As well as white boxes on the map instead of map legends like this: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2432

I have determined the issue to seem to be caused by the package: Spore_EP1_Data.package. If I place the steam version, it behaves normally and Galactic Adventures shows up, but mods don't work. If I use the non-steam version (I've tried different torrents by literally uninstalling and reinstalling Spore using the different torrents). It's either caused by that file itself or a dependency on that file. The issue isn't caused by the mods, as I stated earlier with parenthesis, I tried without the mods and still had the issues.

There must be a way to get it to work properly, please let me know if anyone has any ideas. It would be greatly appreciated as I've been dying of de-sporification for days. Let me know if you guys have any questions or need anymore information.

Also, thank you to the Davo Online team for bringing us badass mods and Davo for bringing us one of the few modding sites for Spore that are still alive. Got to love Dark Injection, even if my Spore fails me lol.

Edit: Tried 1.4 Spore torrented version, no animation glitch, since GA 1.01 is needed so that 1.5.1 doesn't cause animation glitch and the fact that I've yet to find a GA crack that works with GA 1.01, decided to downgrade to 1.4. Even the mods worked or they seem to have so far. Copied 1.4 data to Steam, had a configuration error, so different results. During my troubleshooting I noticed some of the causes for patches not to see Steam. Firstly, in uninstall a program, you will notice that the Steam Spores don't have the version listed. You can probably add the version in the registry, either that or you have to make a special MSI install so it provides version number. Secondly, you will notice in the Spore registry keys that "InstallLoc" is not put, so technically that's probably the major reason the actual patches don't see the Steam Spore.I haven't tried it, but technically if you recreate the non-steam Spore folder structure and put the proper InstallLoc and DataDir, it should be able to patch up. The Steam .exe is most likely the root cause of incompatibility with the non-Steam packages. Even was able to get a crack .exe to work by putting the proper InstallLoc. Tried putting in the InstallLoc and the .exe crack actually ran, so some minor steps and you could attain functionality.

All in all, I got lazy with troubleshooting further, but if I had gone further, I could have probably created the folder structure of non-steam spore within steam's folders, then pointed and used the InstallLoc. It would of worked, though it would have probably broke Steam's version. So I just decided to remove Steam and use the torrented Spore, I'll play offline to be safe lmao. I had the Steam Complete Pack, which comes with all of Spore (I think it either uses one cd key or it was listed in the registry but I forgot to check). The one cd key I found on steam worked on a non-steam install. So cd keys aren't any different? I'm not sure if the complete pack could be the cause of the weird restructure of the folders for Spore, the structure is far more consolidated, so it could be the Complete pack to blame possibly.
Last edited by alexdanoob on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davo
The Boss
The Boss
Sergeant Major of the Davo Army
Sergeant Major of the Davo Army

Re: Mods on Steam Spore

Unread postby Davo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:17 pm

do you log in using your EA account when you start spore?

have you tried installing EAs Origin? the download manager?

maybe you can just get access to the non steam version, or possibly call EA and tell them you want a copy without steam because your house is losing internet haha. idunno man...

alexdanoob

Re: Mods on Steam Spore

Unread postby alexdanoob » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Well, I've tried both, I've deleted the appdata content several times as well to treat it as a new install each time I ran a new test.

I've installed Origin, but I believe the licensing/product keys are different for Classic Spore, Origin Spore, and Steam Spore, which generally means you can't use the product keys on the different methods, but I could be wrong. The patching is different on Steam as well, since Steam is practically it's own download manager and updating client.

Hmm...I suppose that could be a good thing to do. However, I'm pretty stubborn and won't give up yet lol, to me that type of thing is last resort. Plus half of me wants to get the Steam version working properly and have a proper method of doing so, so that we can share it on here, so Steam doesn't appear to be completely useless with mods lmao.

I know this is an annoying thing to ask, but would anyone be willing to send me the .package file to test it (700 MBs is a lot, but I bet you can zip it, then compress into multiple chunks)? I've noticed that the torrented versions all have issues with animation on GA, probably due to the cracked version of SporeApp.exe not being compatible with 1.01 GA. I've noticed that no cracks work on the patched version, so most likely the case. Maybe the torrented versions all have a messed up Spore_EP1_Data.package? In which case, it makes sense why it worked for six30two. I suppose I just need to test that.

I also looked into this which I thought was interesting as well: http://www.davoonline.com/phpBB3/viewto ... f=4&t=2288. I tried using the torrented appdata from a different computer, to see if possibly the Steam version generates things differently as well. The same issue occurred, I suppose I should try grabbing a different version of Spore, like 1.4 and seeing if it changes anything. Though, I'd think the Spore install would repackage the appdata packages.

Not sure what else I could test, but I'll try and think of any other possible causes. Thanks again for taking your time to help Davo, I'm sure you are really damn busy, so thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. I'll keep troubleshooting, please let me know if you need more information or if you think of anything else I could try.

Return to “Help”