Dark Injection Issues I've Found + Extra

Found a bug in a 9.r beta? Let us know here, so we can fix it.
Forum rules
1. Please post only ONE bug per THREAD. If you have multiple bugs to report, create a thread FOR EACH BUG.

2. Please NAME your THREADS as DESCRIPTIVELY as possible.

3. Please DO NOT CREATE report threads for bugs which have already been reported. This produces REDUNDANT BUG REPORTS, which slows down development by making it harder for me to read, reports and fix the bugs mentioned within them. This also applies for bugs which have been fixed and moved accordingly, so CHECK the FIXED BUGS subforum BEFORE POSTING. Previously-submitted bug reports can be found here: viewforum.php?f=174
Recruit

Recruit

Deoxys_0
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:08 pm
Gender: None specified
Status: Offline

Dark Injection Issues I've Found + Extra

Unread post #1 by Deoxys_0 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Important
This is the mod set up I ran when doing all of the tests and when finding all of the issues:
Image

I am not running the custom Darkspore themed UI because it tends to have issues with my screen resolution (1920 x 1080) in that most of the icons are 'out of sync' with the rest of the UI. I apologize of any of the issues listed below are related to me not running the custom UI. If they are, do let me know though.

Also, I am running ReShade. However, ReShade is a program and not so much a mod, and was not made for Spore specifically. Because of this, I do not think it is responsible for any of the issues below. It works more like an overlay rather than a mod. Also, all of the tests/issues found were done with only one ReShade effect on, which is a minor effect called FXAA that makes the game look better on higher resolutions like mine. You probably won't even notice it in the pictures though.

Finally, I am running Windows 10 but not so much by choice. I've reached a point where, mainly because my new computer came with it, I think I need to just accept it and work with it. Although it likely won't happen for a while, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 will eventually stop receiving updates and support. I'd rather just move on now instead of delaying potential issues that could come with that. Because of this though, some of the issues below maybe directly caused by me running Windows 10. If this is the case, I apologize, and if you know for sure, then let me know please, and which specific issues they are.

My current version of Spore is fully updated and all three parts (Spore + both expansions) are digital downloads through Origin.


New Issues/Glitches/Bugs (Dark Injection Version 2.0.6)
Everything listed under this category are issues that I've discovered that are new. I apologize if some of these are not new and have already been addressed. If some have been, let me know and I'll edit this post and fix it.

Part 1: Incorrect Armor Piece
Image


Part 2: Failed Symmetry
The following parts/effects/weapons have incorrect symmetry:
Image
Image


Part 3: Detail Mouths Are Not Working
All of the detail mouths do not function as detail mouths but rather exactly like normal mouths. This could be because they (possibly oddly) have their abilities still.
Image


Part 4: Incorrect Model/Effect
The effect part titled "WaterSpout2" shows up as a lava spout when placed on a creature.
Image


Part 5: Glitched Paint
The part titled "Netwing" paints oddly outside of the editor and does not appear like it does when painted inside the editor. The effect seems to vary between paints but overall it's mostly glitchy combined with black.
Image


Part 6: THEY'RE GONE!
The "grasping" hands that I fell in love with are gone! They were in the voice tab below the voices... I know I asked for more hands like them but I wanted to at least keep the the existing ones! Please fix this! :cry:
Image
Image


Unknown
Everything listed under "Unknown" are potential issues that may not be issues or may have already been addressed. I do not know if these are new, normal (not issues), or issues that rob55rod already knows about. A few of these are issues I know rob55rod is aware about but have been added anyway with pictures for reference.

Part 1: Some Effects Are HUGE
Many of the effects, especially those after the first page, are incredibly large, making them very hard to work with because if you decrease the size to a point at which they could actually be used, the 'orb' to move them becomes almost impossible to see/select. Here are some examples:
Image
Image
Image


Part 2: White Boxes
Many icons for both parts and tabs, as well as paints, are white boxes instead.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Part 3: Possible Incorrect Paint Placement
There appears to be a random Dark Injection paint in the wrong spot. This is also visible in one of the tabs in the pictures above this, but with default Spore paints instead.
Image


Part 4: Robotic Hands Are Missing
But based on info from other posts, they seem to still work if modified or viewed on existing creatures with them.
Image


Part 5: Microtech Scanner Crashes the Game
This robot eye in particular causes the game to crash when you attempt to place it on a creature. Existing creatures with the part seem to be unaffected though. I have not tested the vehicle version of this part.
Image


Untested
I have not tested the following things for issues:

*Paints on all parts.
*All paints (for bodies and limbs).
*Default/Core Spore parts.
*All parts, effects, and paints outside of the editor.
*Dark Injection adventure props.
*Dark Injection spaceship parts.

Most of the things I haven't tested will take significantly more time to test then the previous things did, so I'm a bit less inclined to test them all. However, if you really want me to, then I will try.

Extra
Because my Spore experience has become so dependent upon mods, with the main one being Dark Injection, I've decided I want to try to help out with the mod (specifically Dark Injection). However, I have no skills in coding or programming with any program. I do, however, have other skills that maybe of use, the main one being icons. I don't know how part icons are made but I have a pretty good idea about the custom ones for effects and abilities. And I think they have the potential to look a lot better, plus, if I learn the specifics (file type, size, etc.), then I'd be more than welcome to make more custom icons for Dark Injection to help finish the incomplete ones.

I did a quick example with some of the custom/modded ability icons (the original is on the left and the new one is on the right):
Image
Keep in mind this was done with photo editing though and not modded.

Here are the specific icons (they are together as one image because I don't know the file type, size, etc., that individual icons need to be):
Image
The icons are transparent and do not have black. If the image shows it with black then know that that was caused from uploading. I can attach a fixed version if you want.

Also, I'm not saying that rob55rod is unable to make his own icons or make existing ones look better. I'm just saying that maybe a little extra help won't hurt, and frankly I of all people should be the one to do it based on my severe dependency on Dark Injection.

As for other help, I can pretty much help with anything that isn't related to coding/programming/Spore Master. Future testing maybe a little limited though due to my computer running Windows 10.



Tech Support

Tech Support

rob55rod
User avatar
Posts: 2912
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:50 am
Location: The Spore Resurrection Secret Base. Because apparently we needed a secret base.
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: Dark Injection Issues I've Found + Extra

Unread post #2 by rob55rod » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:23 am

Deoxys_0 wrote:I am not running the custom Darkspore themed UI because it tends to have issues with my screen resolution (1920 x 1080) in that most of the icons are 'out of sync' with the rest of the UI. I apologize of any of the issues listed below are related to me not running the custom UI. If they are, do let me know though.

Next big UI update has the scaling significantly further cleaned up - the largest remaining scaling misalignment is about 3 pixels off when comparing 1024x768 to 1920x1080. Still usable, still looks good, you'd have to tint the block to reveal its bounds and measure the difference in an image editor to notice :lol:


Deoxys_0 wrote:Also, I am running ReShade. However, ReShade is a program and not so much a mod, and was not made for Spore specifically. Because of this, I do not think it is responsible for any of the issues below. It works more like an overlay rather than a mod. Also, all of the tests/issues found were done with only one ReShade effect on, which is a minor effect called FXAA that makes the game look better on higher resolutions like mine. You probably won't even notice it in the pictures though.

Probably irrelevant, yes.


Deoxys_0 wrote:Finally, I am running Windows 10 but not so much by choice. I've reached a point where, mainly because my new computer came with it, I think I need to just accept it and work with it. Although it likely won't happen for a while, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 will eventually stop receiving updates and support. I'd rather just move on now instead of delaying potential issues that could come with that. Because of this though, some of the issues below maybe directly caused by me running Windows 10. If this is the case, I apologize, and if you know for sure, then let me know please, and which specific issues they are.

I don't want to start ranting why Windows 10 is only inevitable because users think they're powerless to stop it, so I'm not going to properly address this paragraph.

Deoxys_0 wrote:My current version of Spore is fully updated and all three parts (Spore + both expansions) are digital downloads through Origin.

Good.

Deoxys_0 wrote:New Issues/Glitches/Bugs (Dark Injection Version 2.0.6)
Everything listed under this category are issues that I've discovered that are new. I apologize if some of these are not new and have already been addressed. If some have been, let me know and I'll edit this post and fix it.

Eh...in future, I'd appreciate if you'd follow the "one bug per thread" policy, but for now, this organization system is okay.

Deoxys_0 wrote:Part 1: Incorrect Armor Piece
Image

Ah yeah, that thing. Previously it used an even more incorrect piece, and since I couldn't find the original model, I just threw that one in instead, since it was structurally identical and you'd never have noticed the difference outside of build mode. That having been said, I now have the tools to modify the model to use a more appropriate texture, so I'll get on that.


Deoxys_0 wrote:Part 2: Failed Symmetry
The following parts/effects/weapons have incorrect symmetry:
Image
Image

Those were added like that originally. I could fix them, but I haven't for backwards compatibility reasons, as many creators would manually, asymmetrically rotate them to appear correct, and a proper fix would undo that manual correction. That having been said, it did occur to me that I could add new parts wth fixed rotation, swap them out in the UI, and leave the old ones in for backwards compatibility. Heck, I may just do that, as the filenames are utter chaos and I'd love to have them organized in a more sane manner.


Deoxys_0 wrote:Part 3: Detail Mouths Are Not Working
All of the detail mouths do not function as detail mouths but rather exactly like normal mouths. This could be because they (possibly oddly) have their abilities still.
Image

Your speculation is correct, but not in the sense you're thinking of. It is due to abilities, but it's due to the "mouth" ability, which is used to identify parts that function as mouths for animation purposes, not the abilities which are exposed to the player. That having been said, those mouths probably still shouldn't have bite or sing anymore, but someone probably used them instead of real mouths for the heck of it and I don't want to send that person's creature stage spiraling into a crash hell, so the other abilities shall remain.


Deoxys_0 wrote:Part 4: Incorrect Model/Effect
The effect part titled "WaterSpout2" shows up as a lava spout when placed on a creature.
Image

This could be addressed by the solution to the "Failed Symmetry" problem.

Deoxys_0 wrote:Part 5: Glitched Paint
The part titled "Netwing" paints oddly outside of the editor and does not appear like it does when painted inside the editor. The effect seems to vary between paints but overall it's mostly glitchy combined with black.
Image

Aww, I forgot to adjust the UVs on that one? Alright, consider it fixed for next update.


Deoxys_0 wrote:Part 6: THEY'RE GONE!
The "grasping" hands that I fell in love with are gone! They were in the voice tab below the voices... I know I asked for more hands like them but I wanted to at least keep the the existing ones! Please fix this! :cry:
Image
Image

They're not gone, they're on the page with the cyber hands!
Just one problem: I accidentally hid that page. That's been fixed internally though, so expect it for the next update.


Deoxys_0 wrote:Part 1: Some Effects Are HUGE
Many of the effects, especially those after the first page, are incredibly large, making them very hard to work with because if you decrease the size to a point at which they could actually be used, the 'orb' to move them becomes almost impossible to see/select. Here are some examples:
Image
Image
Image

Again, see the "Failed Symmetry" solution. Yeah I'm definitely going to do that.


Deoxys_0 wrote:Part 2: White Boxes
Many icons for both parts and tabs, as well as paints, are white boxes instead.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

That just means there's no icon at all. I'm in the process of fixing that.


Deoxys_0 wrote:Part 3: Possible Incorrect Paint Placement
There appears to be a random Dark Injection paint in the wrong spot. This is also visible in one of the tabs in the pictures above this, but with default Spore paints instead.
Image

I thought that was just an icon I accidentally replaced. Is the paint itself affected too?


Deoxys_0 wrote:Part 4: Robotic Hands Are Missing
But based on info from other posts, they seem to still work if modified or viewed on existing creatures with them.
Image

Yeah, now you know where the fists went :lol:


Deoxys_0 wrote:Part 5: Microtech Scanner Crashes the Game
This robot eye in particular causes the game to crash when you attempt to place it on a creature. Existing creatures with the part seem to be unaffected though. I have not tested the vehicle version of this part.
Image

Why won't that damned thing stay fixed? .-.


Deoxys_0 wrote:Untested
I have not tested the following things for issues:

*Paints on all parts.
*All paints (for bodies and limbs).
*Default/Core Spore parts.
*All parts, effects, and paints outside of the editor.
*Dark Injection adventure props.
*Dark Injection spaceship parts.

Most of the things I haven't tested will take significantly more time to test then the previous things did, so I'm a bit less inclined to test them all. However, if you really want me to, then I will try.

It'd certainly be nice to have someone to test that stuff on a system that isn't mine. Results may vary, and a larger testing pool never hurts.


Deoxys_0 wrote:Extra
Because my Spore experience has become so dependent upon mods, with the main one being Dark Injection, I've decided I want to try to help out with the mod (specifically Dark Injection). However, I have no skills in coding or programming with any program.

That's fine. Also modding Spore doesn't involve any proper coding, the closest you'll get is XML, some weird variant of ARGScript, whatever language PFX files are written in, and a tiny bit of CSS for text styles.


Deoxys_0 wrote:I do, however, have other skills that maybe of use, the main one being icons. I don't know how part icons are made but I have a pretty good idea about the custom ones for effects and abilities. And I think they have the potential to look a lot better, plus, if I learn the specifics (file type, size, etc.), then I'd be more than welcome to make more custom icons for Dark Injection to help finish the incomplete ones.

That would be very helpful. The only real requirement is that the icons be individual PNGs. For best results, the resolution should be atleast 128x128 and the width and height should be equal.


Deoxys_0 wrote:I did a quick example with some of the custom/modded ability icons (the original is on the left and the new one is on the right):
Image
Keep in mind this was done with photo editing though and not modded.
Here are the specific icons (they are together as one image because I don't know the file type, size, etc., that individual icons need to be):
Image
The icons are transparent and do not have black. If the image shows it with black then know that that was caused from uploading. I can attach a fixed version if you want.

Those look...great, actually. Not a huge fan of the slight black smudge around them, but that doesn't really matter, because they're always shown on a dark background regardless. (Another UI mod may change that, but eh, there's only so much you can do.) I'll need to split them into individual images, but that's no big deal. Overall, I'm impressed with your dedication and skill in cleaning up those icons O:


Deoxys_0 wrote:Also, I'm not saying that rob55rod is unable to make his own icons or make existing ones look better.

For those kinds of icons, you wouldn't be wrong to call me on it. In any case, if I'm not doing a good enough job of something, please call me on it.


Deoxys_0 wrote:I'm just saying that maybe a little extra help won't hurt, and frankly I of all people should be the one to do it based on my severe dependency on Dark Injection.

True, a little extra help is always good.


Deoxys_0 wrote:As for other help, I can pretty much help with anything that isn't related to coding/programming/Spore Master. Future testing maybe a little limited though due to my computer running Windows 10.

Funny...that lines up pretty well with what I need people for. More specifically, I need people who can model and texture stuff. I can rig and animate a model accceptably, but I'm not great at creating them to begin with. Have any experience with that? (Note that even if not, the icon stuff is great, and it looks like you have the skills, so I can show you how to create typical part icons that show the model.)


Also, I can change your old account's password. Just PM me the new password you want.


Speaking of accounts, do you use Skype, or better still, Steam? Any chance we could get in contact there?

Recruit

Recruit

Deoxys_0
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:08 pm
Gender: None specified
Status: Offline

Re: Dark Injection Issues I've Found + Extra

Unread post #3 by Deoxys_0 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Alright, I've sent you a PM with my Steam information. :)


Return to “DI 9.r Bug Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest