Updated Grox Replacer

Post your mod ideas here. Nothing is lost in asking, but don't get your hopes up, but feel free to discuss.
Forum rules
Please keep in mind that if your request is not granted immediately, that doesn't mean it never will be. Sooner or later, someone may well pop in and try to make it happen. Patience is a virtue. Just...don't go around begging and annoying people over it.
Additionally, be aware that while the Spore ModAPI has empowered mod developers like never before, our ability to add "new" functionality still has its limits, so if there's nothing in Spore that can already do it, we may not be able to either. Nothing is lost in asking, but don't get your hopes up, especially not for anything really big.
Shugwar
Hatchling
Hatchling

Updated Grox Replacer

Unread post by Shugwar »

I recently re-purchased Spore, and found the simple mod I had always wanted back when it launched: a way to replace the cyber-mogwai with another creature.

viewtopic.php?t=2332

Unfortunately, my Origin copy doesn't seem to support the mod. I downloaded Sporemaster and tried to make my own, but even just unpacking Spore_Game.package and then packing it completely broke my file every time I tried it, even if I didn't make any edits. I'm definitely no modder, but the instructions aren't that difficult and I followed them to the letter.

Any chance someone could make me an updated version of this mod, or offer some insights to help me make my own? I'm perfectly content with the simple version where it just replaces the Grox with a random creature instead of a specific one. Any help is appreciated!

rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Re: Updated Grox Replacer

Unread post by rob55rod »

Well you're following rather old instructions. Updating mods isn't very hard, I posted some instructions for how to do so a while ago. I'll see if I can dig them up tomorrow, as unfortunately I've only seen this post in the last few minutes of Today.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Shugwar
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Shugwar »

No worries, I appreciate the quick response! I did try to find more up-to-date info, but I couldn't find much of anything from this year, and as I understand it the patch that broke things only happened in March. I'm gonna quote the original post in full for ease of reference:
Dooweep wrote:It IS possible.

How?

Unpack the Spore_Game.package
Go to --> gametuning~ folder --> find the file spacesolarsystem.prop.xml

In this file we change the line -->
<key name="grobSpecies" groupid="#40626200" instanceid="#06577404" typeid="crt" />

Changing the instanceid gives a random creature to become grox empire.
#06577404 is the code name for the grox creature

Selected creature

Go to --> C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\SPORE --> Pollination.package

Unpack it and look for the #40626200 folder. It's the one that have stored the creatures files.
Find your selected creature.
You need 3 files -->
- #0B06532B.crt
- #0B06532B.png
- #0B06532B.pollen_metadata

#0B06532B is the code name for the creature I've selected.

Now we only have to change the instanceid code -->
<key name="grobSpecies" groupid="#40626200" instanceid="#0B06532B" typeid="crt" />

To complete the process we must include in the mod the folders:
- gametuning~ --> including the modified file spacesolarsystem.prop.xml
- #40626200 --> including the files #CODE.crt, #CODE.png and #CODE.pollen_metadata

This will make the grob species to be the creature we selected.
This doesn't change the dialog boxes but change the Grox Empire name to the one of the creature selected.
To make it work it's needed to erase your actual galaxy and began with a new one.

To do this go to --> C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\SPORE\Games
Erase the Game0 and Game0.old folders. Now you have a brand new galaxy.

I've created this test mod with a creature named Kreeborg.
0_GROX_REPLACE.package

You have to copy the mod package to the SPORE_EP1\Data folder
:mrgreen:
If I'm not mistaken, I just need to be able to unpack Spore_Game.package, edit instanceid="#06577404", and then pack the file again without it breaking. What I'm not super clear on is what I should change the instanceid to, or if even this simpler version requires me to delete my current galaxy.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

On closer inspection, I've noticed that firstly, the instructions provided definitely DO NOT indicate that you are to repack the base game packages. You should NEVER do that. Secondly, the instructions also include a step to wipe your current Galaxy, sooo... .______.

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Shugwar
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by Shugwar »

To clarify, I wasn't just referring to the instructions in that post, I also meant Sporemaster. I swore it told me in the UI I had to pack the file for the changes to take effect. I also tried it without packing the file, and it didn't work. The reason I'm asking if I need to start a new galaxy is because the instructions seem to be in two parts to do two separate things.
Dooweep wrote:It IS possible.

How?

Unpack the Spore_Game.package
Go to --> gametuning~ folder --> find the file spacesolarsystem.prop.xml

In this file we change the line -->
<key name="grobSpecies" groupid="#40626200" instanceid="#06577404" typeid="crt" />

Changing the instanceid gives a random creature to become grox empire.
#06577404 is the code name for the grox creature
I was under the impression the above part was the full instructions for replacing the Grox with a random creature. And then below were instructions to do it for a specific one.
Dooweep wrote:Selected creature

Go to --> C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\SPORE --> Pollination.package

Unpack it and look for the #40626200 folder. It's the one that have stored the creatures files.
Find your selected creature.
You need 3 files -->
- #0B06532B.crt
- #0B06532B.png
- #0B06532B.pollen_metadata

#0B06532B is the code name for the creature I've selected.

Now we only have to change the instanceid code -->
<key name="grobSpecies" groupid="#40626200" instanceid="#0B06532B" typeid="crt" />

To complete the process we must include in the mod the folders:
- gametuning~ --> including the modified file spacesolarsystem.prop.xml
- #40626200 --> including the files #CODE.crt, #CODE.png and #CODE.pollen_metadata

This will make the grob species to be the creature we selected.
This doesn't change the dialog boxes but change the Grox Empire name to the one of the creature selected.
To make it work it's needed to erase your actual galaxy and began with a new one.

To do this go to --> C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\SPORE\Games
Erase the Game0 and Game0.old folders. Now you have a brand new galaxy.

I've created this test mod with a creature named Kreeborg.
0_GROX_REPLACE.package

You have to copy the mod package to the SPORE_EP1\Data folder
:mrgreen:
Since the part about creating a new galaxy was at the end of the second set of instructions to do a slightly different thing, I wasn't sure if it applied to the first. I don't have much experience with modding, so it's difficult for me to gauge these things. I'm willing to start a new galaxy and grind from civ to space to test things out, I'd just like to know from an experienced modder that I've taken the right steps.
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Shugwar wrote:To clarify, I wasn't just referring to the instructions in that post, I also meant Sporemaster. I swore it told me in the UI I had to pack the file for the changes to take effect. I also tried it without packing the file, and it didn't work.
Well what it says isn't incorrect, you do have to repack. I didn't say you don't. I said you should never repack base game packages. Always create a new one.

Also, you really shouldn't be using SporeMaster anymore if there's anything you can do to help it...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mod Ideas”