Removed paint mode schemes?

Post your mod ideas here. Nothing is lost in asking, but don't get your hopes up, but feel free to discuss.
Forum rules
Please keep in mind that if your request is not granted immediately, that doesn't mean it never will be. Sooner or later, someone may well pop in and try to make it happen. Patience is a virtue. Just...don't go around begging and annoying people over it.
Additionally, be aware that while the Spore ModAPI has empowered mod developers like never before, our ability to add "new" functionality still has its limits, so if there's nothing in Spore that can already do it, we may not be able to either. Nothing is lost in asking, but don't get your hopes up, especially not for anything really big.
zeropower
Hatchling
Hatchling

Removed paint mode schemes?

Unread post by zeropower »

Hello everyone! New to this forum :) Been a lurker for some years, but finally joined. Okay, straight to the point! So I've noticed that in pre-release versions of Spore, there's been this one impossible paint scheme. It is featured in several ingame screenshots and was removed for some unknown reason. I actually spent hours going through the paint mode just to find it and came to this conclusion :lol Here are some examples:
20080226124547916.jpg
screenshot3.jpg
screenshot4.jpg
As you can see from the pictures, these builds of Spore were almost identical to the retail ones with minor differences (mainly the HUD). The ones with the reptilish creatures are more recent possibly early 2008 whereas the other is from late 2007. The paint scheme on these creatures is like a combination of a detail scheme and a coat scheme, both of which are impossible in the final game but very similar to some of the schemes in the retail version and may have been split into two separate schemes for unknown reasons. It appears that they were removed shortly before the game released. If you're wondering what scheme I am talking about, it's that bioluminescent blue scheme on those tribal creatures. It is the same scheme in the picture with the epic also just with worse lighting. The tall green/blue reptilish ones in both pictures look like they have 4 schemes and one of them is a basic preset with the scheme I'm talking about pasted on top. That preset already consists of two details. These creatures are on the back cover of the standard game and in nvidia's screenshots. Weird how their stalk eyes are solid blue hmm..

What I'm wondering is if this scheme is still in the game's files (which it likely is don't know for sure) and if it could be modded back into the game. DI has lots of custom paint schemes so I see this as possible. Someone may have already done this, I dunno. Apologies for the long post, but details help. Many thanks in return.

zeropower
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Removed paint mode schemes?

Just a small update: I recently discovered that one of the schemes, the one on those tall reptile creatures is in the game, but it is positioned differently so it doesn't run across the creatures backside and belly, but rather around the sides and ventral portions instead. Oddly, this scheme is in the coat section and detail section both of which are identical and even have the same icons. I wonder if there is a way to make it run vertically like in the screenshots? It is the same texture.

Still trying to figure out what the other scheme is. The aforementioned creatures have single colored "bands" around their legs and arms also. Again, this scheme is not in the retail game.
Flames Kid
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by Flames Kid »

zeropower wrote:Just a small update: I recently discovered that one of the schemes, the one on those tall reptile creatures is in the game, but it is positioned differently so it doesn't run across the creatures backside and belly, but rather around the sides and ventral portions instead. Oddly, this scheme is in the coat section and detail section both of which are identical and even have the same icons. I wonder if there is a way to make it run vertically like in the screenshots? It is the same texture.

Still trying to figure out what the other scheme is. The aforementioned creatures have single colored "bands" around their legs and arms also. Again, this scheme is not in the retail game.
I believe one of them is the trible paint
:di: I am just a simulation §§§§§§§
zeropower
Hatchling
Hatchling

Flames Kid wrote:
Tribal paint? I hadn't noticed this before.
I had a look at the tribal paint mode and everything appears to be identical to the standard paint mode.
Flames Kid
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by Flames Kid »

zeropower wrote:
Flames Kid wrote:
Tribal paint? I hadn't noticed this before.
I had a look at the tribal paint mode and everything appears to be identical to the standard paint mode.
It appears on your tribal members in game to mark what colour tribe they are in
:di: I am just a simulation §§§§§§§
zeropower
Hatchling
Hatchling

Flames Kid wrote:
zeropower wrote:
Flames Kid wrote:
It appears on your tribal members in game to mark what colour tribe they are in
Holy cow, you're right!

I haven't played the tribal stage for nearly 6 years and didn't notice this until now. Some of the tribes had unique schemes pasted over them despite them never having those schemes in the first place. Clicking on their tile card does not show the scheme on them. There's other paint schemes appearing too. It's also affecting some of the wild creatures. Strangely it doesn't effect the tribe you are controlling unlike in the screenshot. This explains the creatures in the screenshots being tribals. I feel like a buffoon, but still, having these schemes put into the paint mode would be nice because they look awesome. You have my thanks!
eme12
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by eme12 »

There are many unused paint schemes you can see from 2006 Spore, so there are still plenty of removed paint schemes that could be rebuilt into a mod.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mod Ideas”