Can a mod "cure" a glitch?

Post your mod ideas here. Nothing is lost in asking, but don't get your hopes up, but feel free to discuss.
Forum rules
Please keep in mind that if your request is not granted immediately, that doesn't mean it never will be. Sooner or later, someone may well pop in and try to make it happen. Patience is a virtue. Just...don't go around begging and annoying people over it.
Additionally, be aware that while the Spore ModAPI has empowered mod developers like never before, our ability to add "new" functionality still has its limits, so if there's nothing in Spore that can already do it, we may not be able to either. Nothing is lost in asking, but don't get your hopes up, especially not for anything really big.
Mileseeveeprower
Cell
Cell

Can a mod "cure" a glitch?

Unread post by Mileseeveeprower »

So, in the Creature Stage, I've been hit with the glitch that makes your creature start its nest in the water. I can't get onto land, or else the seamonster comes up and eats me. Since all of the gameplay progression is on land, I basically have two planet files that are eternally unplayable (one saved with this glitch, another that always seems to enter creature stage with it.)

Because I cannot seem to find a working "remove the sea monster" mod for these games (maybe I'm just not using them correctly...), is there a mod out there that "cures" this unfortunate glitch for my games? I'm not sure how one would go about doing it... So it's more of a question as to if it's even programmable.

As a side note, for most in-game mods to work, do I need to create a new game? Because I was somewhat hoping that the modified files would take effect on an already-started planet.
Yes, I have GA and C&C and bla bla bla. Installed in the right order.
It's just that I can't seem to get any mod to work whatsoever.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but, err, thanks in advance.

EDIT;; WOW, excuse me for being an idiot, I didn't realize there was a different directory for the mods. Putting them into Documents and Settings always seemed to work to a point...

My main point still stands, though - can a mod cure a glitch...?

MinionJoe
Tribal
Tribal

Re: Can a mod "cure" a glitch?

Unread post by MinionJoe »

Mods cannot correct inherent flaws in the programming.

But Davo might be able to do something like remove all the water by manipulating the planet generation parameter files.
Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread post by Davo »

i dont think any mods can cure that except for removing water like joe mentioned. there are a few sea monster be-gone mods around here. i wish i could see that glitch. can you make a vid? i have been unable to simulate that effect on my own game.
Mileseeveeprower
Cell
Cell

MinionJoe wrote:Mods cannot correct inherent flaws in the programming.
By "cure", I meant more of "remove-the-sea-monster-and-make-me-migrate-at-the-same-time" or something. I do like my water, but if that's how it's gotta go, xd...

Davo, bus is about to come - I have a video recorded and will upload it later today, maybe at about 7 your time.
Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread post by Davo »

awesome
Mileseeveeprower
Cell
Cell

I think I was typing in too much of a hurry this morning, and hit some keys that deleted half of my intended post.

I think the only part I was missing was the vital link between the quote and the post - "I understood that from the start, but by 'cure', I meant more of..."

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc5mTwK-dPQ
Lengthy, I'm sorry. 1 to 2 minutes gets the point across.
Mileseeveeprower
Cell
Cell

Blast it. I can't seem to find just a simple "remove the sea monster" mod anywhere. They all lead to dead Sporedum and SporeMods links.

It's not even in that massive pack of 450 mods that I downloaded from an archive site.

And PlanetFlight makes me stop moving every time that silly monster comes up...
Last edited by Mileseeveeprower on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread post by Davo »

none on davoonline.com/download?
Mileseeveeprower
Cell
Cell

Didn't see any immediately.

For the meantime I can use your CreatureOverhaul; I wonder what would happen if I saved on the land then restarted without the mod...
Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread post by Davo »

snap, read this! maybe reverse the effects?
Mileseeveeprower
Cell
Cell

I backed up my planets and made the Sea Monster dissapear if only to save on land. I closed Spore, removed the mod, and reopened Spore to see if I could run around without modding-

As soon as my screen loaded, he ate me.

I guess that until I make my creatures migrate onto land, I'll be stuck a seafaring creature.

(I could abuse this opportunity...)

If you become interested in my glitched-up saves, would I be able to send the game files to you? I know where they are and what they're holding, I just don't know what would happen if someone else implemented them into their own game.
Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread post by Davo »

i do, the planets will be the same but the resident species will be replaced by a random creature, as well as anything else you have made
Mileseeveeprower
Cell
Cell

That was a given in the first place.

I suppose I'll upload the saves to MegaUpload or something to that sort, unless you prefer a different site?

And as soon as that's done with, I'll be looking for a complexity creature hack, as BetterSpore murders what my Cell Creature is wearing...

EDIT;; MegaUpload link
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0GNE37Q1

I'm not sure what else was needed, besides the .spo files (I doubt the Old files were necessary), but I've never done a cross-game planet trade before...
Mileseeveeprower
Cell
Cell

The funniest thing is happening.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb15 ... esilly.png

Notice anything a little... off?

Even though he's "disabled," the game is probably registering the sea monster's attacks as deaths. Either that, or I'm being hungry and dying with my 10 health.

Just thought that was amusing.
martijnb3
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unread post by martijnb3 »

why dont you terraform the planet whit another save i once did it (you need to do this before starting anything)
MinionJoe
Tribal
Tribal

Unread post by MinionJoe »

martijnb3 wrote:why dont you terraform the planet whit another save i once did it (you need to do this before starting anything)
1) You cannot remove all the water by terraforming a planet.
2) Miles is having a problem with a specific game and has already "started anything". Your suggestion doesn't address their problem.
3) "Why don't you terraform the planet with another save? I once did it. You just need to do this before starting anything."

Stay in school.
UltimateSpore
Tribal
Tribal

Unread post by UltimateSpore »

Hi! right now im making a mod that you spawn in water (waternest) and i moved the fruit to the water. (Floating fruit). And i hope that i finish it and it works. Regards Me
Creator of the mod 'BetterCreature'[/font]
Davo
The Boss
The Boss

Unread post by Davo »

BetterCreature wrote:Hi! right now im making a mod that you spawn in water (waternest) and i moved the fruit to the water. (Floating fruit). And i hope that i finish it and it works. Regards Me

i'd like to see this mod.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mod Ideas”