is it possible to start spore + DI without the sporemod API?

Here you can find information regarding Dark Injection, or post questions if you need further help.
peperooni
Poster of the New User Apocalypse

is it possible to start spore + DI without the sporemod API?

Unread post by peperooni »

if so, how do i do it?
if not, why not? what sets DI apart from other mods such that it cannot be launched without the sporemod API? if i can extract the package files into the spore dataep1 folder myself (within reason, not putting in conflicting packages and such), why cant i just launch it like that, and learn how to make it work via trial and error? if there is a piece of code that does not add anything to the mod besides making it work only through the sporemod API, why is it there? if this true, how do i remove it?
rob55rod
Tech Support
Tech Support
Re: is it possible to start spore + DI without the sporemod API?

Unread post by rob55rod »

Hi, sorry for the late response.

peperooni wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:53 pm Re: is it possible to start spore + DI without the sporemod API? if so, how do i do it?
No, DI requires the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit. As such, you don't. You use the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit.

peperooni wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:53 pmif not, why not?
Because DI depends on the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit to provide features such as its vertical camera panning, editor effects, and other things. Future releases will only further this.

peperooni wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:53 pmwhat sets DI apart from other mods such that it cannot be launched without the sporemod API?
Wrong, plenty of other mods also require the use of the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit, such as Universal Property Enhancer or the Enhanced Color Picker. The only thing unique to DI is that DI will go out of its way to make sure you know that this is required, while most other ModAPI mods will just fail silently.

peperooni wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:53 pmif i can extract the package files into the spore dataep1 folder myself (within reason, not putting in conflicting packages and such),
I can't fathom why you would want to do so, but I don't intend to stop you from trying. Just bear in mind that you cannot install DI that way.

peperooni wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:53 pmwhy cant i just launch it like that, and learn how to make it work via trial and error?
Because the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit is required to inject DI's code into Spore. WIthout it, no mod can alter Spore's code...only its files.

peperooni wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:53 pmif there is a piece of code that does not add anything to the mod besides making it work only through the sporemod API, why is it there?
It's not, the code does a fair deal more than just that. I'm a mod developer, not an my mouth.

peperooni wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:53 pmif this true, how do i remove it?
You don't.

Your entire question is founded on the belief that DI in its entirety can function independently of the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit, when this is not the case at all. For what it's worth...I despise artificial roadblocks like that, and I don't blame you for not being keen on thinking that that's what this is. But it isn't that simple - DI doesn't just alter Spore's files anymore...it also alters Spore's code to provide some of its features, and it does so through the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit.

That aside...perhaps we'd best address the root of the problem: Why do you want to not use the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Is there something wrong with it? Not using it doesn't fix anything, but reporting the problem just might.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
peperooni

a late response is fine, what matters is that my questions were answered thoroughly. thank you for helping me understand why the newest DI beta requires the sporemod API. really why i want to avoid using the sporemod API is because i currently play spore on linux + steam proton (i currently have windows dual booted, but i'd prefer to stay on linux for convenience sake.) while i can always redeem my spore key on origin and run that through wine, lutris, or proton (as non-steam game), i am not quite sure about how compatible the sporemod API will be with such. is it possible to inject the code by hand?
rob55rod
Tech Support
Tech Support

Unread post by rob55rod »

peperooni wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:39 pm a late response is fine, what matters is that my questions were answered thoroughly. thank you for helping me understand why the newest DI beta requires the sporemod API. really why i want to avoid using the sporemod API is because i currently play spore on linux + steam proton (i currently have windows dual booted, but i'd prefer to stay on linux for convenience sake.) while i can always redeem my spore key on origin and run that through wine, lutris, or proton (as non-steam game), i am not quite sure about how compatible the sporemod API will be with such. is it possible to inject the code by hand?
Ironic...your concerns, while understandable, are vastly misguided - you're not the only Linux user involved in this conversation. I gather the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit works...acceptably under WINE (albeit I hear it's rather...annoying to set up if you don't use Lutris), and I've been hard at work ensuring that its imminent successor fares even better.

Just make sure you're not using the Steam version of the game - Steam Spore causes all manner of problems even on Windows, and I'd be shocked if it fared any better under WINE. Origin Spore should work better, though I haven't a clue how you'd install it under WINE. Honestly, if you can spare the cash, I'd recommend the GOG version of Spore - no DRM, no game downloader program required to install, etc. Everything you'd expect from a game sold on GOG.
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
peperooni

thats good to hear, i will try installing origin + origin spore via lutris (origin is rated silver on lutris website), then running the sporemod API on it over lutris aswell. if this fails, i'll probably work on getting GOG spore. its either that or the latest version of DI that doesnt require sporemod API

thank you for your assistance and advice, i will start on these as soon as it is convenient. once these are completed, i will notify you of success

Return to “FAQ, Info, and Help”