Critique wanted on some creatures

How many eyes is too many eyes?
Forum rules
Please, when posting creations,
- Share the .png file you will find at %Userprofile%\My Documents\My Spore Creations, so everyone can use your creation!
- Also, please list which DLCs and mods were used in your creation(s), so people know what they'll need to have installed to use it.
Sir Keksalot
Cell
Cell

Critique wanted on some creatures

Unread post by Sir Keksalot »

So I'm considering learning how to make actually decent Spore creatures, but I just don't know what I'm doing. What little inspiration I have is stifled by a lack of ability to reach my end goal. Thus, I've decided to consult you guys for help. I've got 4 creature PNG's in a Dropbox folder, and I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice. The creatures use C&C, DI, Dark Genetics, the drone parts, Strange and Beautiful, CamBen's Color Pack, and possibly the Himeric Engine (though I'm unsure on that last one). Here is the folder containing the creatures. Please be honest, I can take constructive criticism and I know they suck. I'm gonna explain a little about these creatures so you know what I was going for.

Seker is my personal favorite. He's got this "pharaoh" aesthetic, with his hands and mouths arranged to look like a khopesh, a flail, and the crown of Egypt. I've given him some armor and fleshed out his torso, but beyond that, I don't know where to take his design.

"Naturebind" is based on this one Darkspore concept, which was like a deer/centaur/leaf guy. I fiddle-diddled with his color scheme and details a bit, then got stuck in a rut. He seems too skinny to me, but I dunno what to do.

"PyroPede" is the most complex creation I've ever made. I say this because it takes the longest to load and save, so I'm assuming that's why. I went for a "shaman" look with the staff, but other than the centipede gimmick, I can't figure out just where I want this creature to go.

Karkinos is the earliest of these creatures, and the most rudimentary. I wanted to make a crab man, and I ended up with...this. I could never figure out how to make him look like a humanoid crab monster. I was hoping for a head/torso area that looked like a crab's head and carapace, and for him to look bulky and brawny like pretty much every Darkspore sentinel. What I got was a pencil-necked blob with some chitinous limbs ejecting from its base and "shoulders," if he can be said to have shoulders. Also, since he's supposed to look like a serviceable Darkspore hero, I was hoping someone could figure out what kind of weapon he should have, because I can't. I mean, what's a crab gonna use? A gun? A crab with a gun? It just seems wrong somehow.

I may come back with more creatures later, but I want this to be a learning experience, not a place for me to dump creatures for others to improve. I want to hear what you would do, then try to do it myself.

Sir Keksalot
Cell
Cell

Re: Critique wanted on some creatures

Gonna bump this so it doesn't get buried in spam, because good lord, that is a lot of spam.
MarioBabyLuigi
Tribal
Tribal

Unread post by MarioBabyLuigi »

I've tried to get a better look at your creature by downloading the .png and viewing it through Sporepedia, but it doesn't show up. I can view images of creatures that I downloaded from the Sporepedia site, however, so I think it might be a problem with the .pngs you gave us. Can you please give us the image directly from your "My Spore Creations" folder?
Sir Keksalot
Cell
Cell

Naturebind(a).png
PyroPede.png
Seker(a).png
Karkinos.png
My bad, I couldn't figure out how to upload images before. These should work. If they don't, I'm not sure what to do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MarioBabyLuigi
Tribal
Tribal

Ah, perhaps I'm just having compatibility issues. I don't have Strange and Beautiful.
Sir Keksalot
Cell
Cell

MarioBabyLuigi wrote:Ah, perhaps I'm just having compatibility issues. I don't have Strange and Beautiful.
Oh, that must be it. Well, you may want to get it, because it has some pretty unique parts. I found one of its mouths useful for completing Seker's head design, save for a glitch where white lines jut out from the lower jaw.
MarioBabyLuigi
Tribal
Tribal

Yeah, I'll get the mod when I get around to it. I'm busy myself having fun with Spore.

Ahhh, I don't have Dark Genetics either, but I'm reluctant to pass up on my own UI mod and I'm also not sure if it'll change the colors of my creations, but maybe a temporary go will work...
rob55rod
Admin
Admin

Unread post by rob55rod »

MarioBabyLuigi wrote:Ahhh, I don't have Dark Genetics either, but I'm reluctant to pass up on my own UI mod and I'm also not sure if it'll change the colors of my creations, but maybe a temporary go will work...
Dark Genetics's UI changes are optional, if my memory serves me.

[strike]...other than the one that breaks the Cell Stage's UI, of course. I think.[/strike]
Having trouble with the Spore ModAPI Launcher Kit? Get help here!

If you're reading this, you have my permission to build off of my mods as long as I am credited. Please don't mirror my work unaltered, unless I no longer provide a working download.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Creatures”