Walk/Run Animation Improvement Mod

Mods that combine many smaller mods or lonely mods that just have no place to go...
cammando205
Creature
Creature

Walk/Run Animation Improvement Mod

Unread post by cammando205 »

READ: This is not a fix for the bug where creatures don't animate at all. As far as I know. I never had that bug.

Now, On to the mod. This mod will make the in-game walking/running animations slightly less atrocious. I noticed that high speed level creatures tend to animate in a very weird fashion. Their legs kick up at lightning speed and it makes an otherwise beautiful creation look like a glitchy wreck during gameplay. After some guess and check I discovered that the way the legs work is with x and y values. The stride is controlled by an x value and a y value. The higher the x value the longer the stride. However the Y value controls the "Height" of the creature's steps. In all the speed files these values match(x=1,y=1,x=2,y=2, etc...). Of course at lower levels this is alright but once the y value reaches about 3, (I'll use a 4 joint limb as an example), the "Shin" segment will rise above the "Thigh" segment. I like to call it "Yoga: Medieval Torture edition!". Just kidding. The result is the leg will snap back into place and looks really weird. I lowered all the y values and swapped the animation IDs out with the ones from the test drive. Now my creatures walk in a manner that looks somewhat decent! Let me know if you find any bugs!

Currently known bugs:
-Speed stat is stuck at 0. I'm looking into this.

*The filename is animspeed because the first version simply lowered the walk speed rather than modifying the stride.
Attachments
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Animspeed.package
Place in your data folder and you should be golden!
(1.02 KiB) Downloaded 1486 times
Last edited by cammando205 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Semper Vigilins: Always Vigilant
Shattered
Sentient
Sentient

Re: Walk/Run Animation Improvement Mod

Unread post by Shattered »

Testing now. this is something I have been needing.
Thanks for killing me
windblade
Tribal
Tribal

Unread post by windblade »

is it like the beta run animation?
look it up, it looked way better, but for some reason the official release scrapped it even though they made one
Shattered
Sentient
Sentient

Unread post by Shattered »

windblade wrote:is it like the beta run animation?
look it up, it looked way better, but for some reason the official release scrapped it even though they made one
no, but it keeps the creature's legs from going through themselves.

My only gripe is that it makes every creature have a speed of level 0... My desired way to play through Creature stage is with a Speedy predator. It doesn't feel right for every creature to be the same speed... which is absurdly slow..

Hopefully there will be a version that brings back speed levels while keeping the same gait.
Thanks for killing me
cammando205
Creature
Creature

GladDragon wrote:
windblade wrote:is it like the beta run animation?
no, but it keeps the creature's legs from going through themselves.

My only gripe is that it makes every creature have a speed of level 0... My desired way to play through Creature stage is with a Speedy predator. It doesn't feel right for every creature to be the same speed... which is absurdly slow..

Hopefully there will be a version that brings back speed levels while keeping the same gait.
That's... odd. I thought I had changed it so the creatures speed was the same. I'ma check that out right now.
cammando205
Creature
Creature

Huh. You're right. For some reason my method does set the speed to level 0. I'll look into this some more and try to find a way to fix it.
Vallachan
Sentient
Sentient

Unread post by Vallachan »

what happens if you set all the values to reeeeally really high? Hilarity, I'd assume ;)
Spore is creative, even the mods and hacks.
Or, should I say, especially the mods and hacks?

Now currently making content for the Life is Strange and Portal communities. Check me out on YouTube
cammando205
Creature
Creature

I'll try it out. Oddly enough the default y value for the lvl 5 speed stat is 1000.
Darhagonable
Admin
Admin

Unread post by Darhagonable »

This seems interesting... Gotta test this as soon as I get some time :D
windblade
Tribal
Tribal

Unread post by windblade »

a video would be helpful
Disgustedorite
Creature
Creature

Unread post by Disgustedorite »

Did you ever get around to looking into the speed issue?
Are you an artist? Do you like Spore, especially its evolutionary mechanics? Join Sagan 4: https://sagan4.org/
cammando205
Creature
Creature

Disgustedorite wrote:Did you ever get around to looking into the speed issue?
I did, never found any way to fix it. I might try taking another look after my break rolls around.
FrenchSPORE
Civilian
Civilian

Unread post by FrenchSPORE »

Is the mod still functional today? Because I did not notice any difference and I did not have this speed problem.

I also find the ogre march to be atrocious! They practically walk with their legs apart and strained! Does the mod also improve ogre walking?
I'm French, sorry if there are sentences or words that may seem confusing once translated, or other errors... :?

I play the game disk version, on Windows 7.
I have all the game's expansions and it is up to date.

I have Spore Hero too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Miscellaneous Mods”